News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Gears versus Pedal Assist

Started by AzRadtrek, July 08, 2020, 11:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

AzRadtrek

Hi there,

As I anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new Rad Minis (in September  :-[ )I am trying to familiarize myself with how they work.  Can anyone explain the interaction between the pedal assist and the traditional gears.  Do you find yourself using different pedal assist levels or changing gears?  Do they complement one another or are the gears less useful?

Thanks from an anxious new owner

TDR

I typically ride in PAS 2 in order to get some exercise. I usually start out in 2nd gear and work rapidly to 7th provided I'm on level terrain. For climbing hills, in addition to dropping down to 4th or 5th gear, I like to bump the PAS to 3 or 4 depending on the amount of the grade. The PAS gets increasingly sensitive in level 3-5. You will get a feel for it pretty quick. And then there is always the throttle option, sit back and enjoy....

Ryan

On our RadWagon typically highest gear and adjust PAS as necessary, but ride a lot on 2-3. We shift down for large hills. A lot is going to depend on your ability. I personally don't prefer to be constantly shifting or adjusting things so I'm more of the 'set it and forget it' mindset. If I need a boost, there is always the throttle.  8)

Jahoolie333

I use my fat tire in my home town of South Lake Tahoe. I shift gears and PAS as the terrain and/or my energy level changes. I like getting exercise and preserving the battery so I peddle. For the steep hills I'm typically in PAS 5 and gear 1 and peddle. One the flats it's PAS 0-2 and gear 4-7.