News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Any reason why 14 amp battery can't be used on rad mission bike

Started by buster, November 10, 2021, 07:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

buster

Even though Rad saids they are not comparable can anyone see any reason why I can't put my Rad Runner 14 amp battery on my Rad mission bike to give me longer range.  They have the exact mounting tabs and electrical plug and both are 48 volt batteries .  Only difference is a extra row of cells for more capacity .

Sirch

Quote from: buster on November 10, 2021, 07:03:27 AM
Even though Rad saids they are not comparable can anyone see any reason why I can't put my Rad Runner 14 amp battery on my Rad mission bike to give me longer range.  They have the exact mounting tabs and electrical plug and both are 48 volt batteries .  Only difference is a extra row of cells for more capacity .

Perhaps the "not compatible" warning is just a CYA precaution in case something gets messed up. I'm sure someone with more electrical knowledge would be able to give some insights.

synthesizerman

Only difference is a extra row of cells for more capacity .

yeah. right.

Because the voltage is the same, we can assume there are the same number of cells in series (voltage adds in series). We can assume extra row of cells is in parallel (current adds in parallel). This increases total available current and lower the current required from each individual cell from the overall current required to power the motor. electrically, it seems like it would be fine.

The only issue might be...if the batteries are self limiting (something built in) and the radMission relies on the battery to limit the amount of current sent to the motor. This seems unlikely though.

JTK77

No problem doing so. You can do that without problems. Its most propably same as with other parts. Rad will only sell you spareparts originally  ment for the model (and year).

Altema

The controller manages the current to the motor, and the display reports how "full" the battery is based on voltage instead of how many Ah are used, so no problem as JTK77 says.

If you have the high step version of the Rad Mission, you can even use a 48v 20Ah "Fat Shark" battery if you feel like changing the battery mount. However, this will eliminate using your old battery as a spare, so going the the bigger Rad battery and being able to use both is a better option in my opinion.