News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Tannus install on 20" fat tires.

Started by sc00ter, March 26, 2021, 08:37:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

sc00ter

I installed the Tannus liners on the 'Mini this morning. Here's what I learned. I took a little over a hour to do both tires. I used baby powder to help with the install. I smell good right now! The supplied  inner tubes from Tannus have shorter valve stems than what was on the 'Mini, it didn't affect anything. Getting the valve stems back thru the rim was fiddly because the rim strips moved and the Tannus liners will try and block the valve hole as well. The last part of installing the tire is a pig! Watch the install video from Tannus, it helped. Now I have to do my 'Runner. Not looking forward to it. Oh, the back wheel nuts on the 'Mini were stupid tight! Like the Hulk installs them at the factory! When I got my first flat (always the rear wheel) on the 'Runner the provided "tools" got the rear wheel off. I had to use a 18mm fuel line wrench with a breaker bar slipped over it on the 'Mini. I hate the Hulk right now.....

Altema

Thanks for giving me my morning dose of humor! The Hulk did my Mini as well, so I'm glad I wasn't on a deserted bike path late at night with that little cast wrench they give you!

How is the ride? Is it softer like some say? Is it harder to pedal?

sc00ter

It's hard to say as my butt dyno is not very accurate. The bike does feel more planted, if that makes any sense. I have the tires at 30psi and I'll double check them in the morning to make sure all is well. Also didn't notice any excess drag either. When I get them on my 'Runner that will be the true test! I know the 'Runner very intimately. I'll update when I get around to installing then.

sc00ter

Wow, I'm getting good at installing Tannus liners! Took me one Overkill album-The Electric Age. Might of gotten it done faster but I was jamming out! Love me some Blitz and his bordering shrilly voice! The slightly wider 'Runner tires are a tad harder to install the liners in. Was gonna run to the grocery store for a test ride but it started raining. As soon as I get some miles, and hopefully no flats, I'll give a quick ride review. Now I have 2 Rad Mini tubes and 3 or 4 Runner tubes laying around. And one complete and one "trimmed" Mr. Tuffy liner laying around as well. I think I have a home for them, but if it falls thru I might just post the tubes and liners up.

vudude

I really like this Tannis liner product, but at $65/tire I'll pass. I have slime in my tubes (about $2/tube) and after already picking up a nail in my rear tire it works. You do need to pull the nail, air up the tire and spin. Should at least get you back home. At first the tire had a slow leak about 2 psi/day but after 3 days no more leaks.   

Jman

Mr. tuffys and slime works for me so far.

Altema

Quote from: sc00ter on March 27, 2021, 06:10:12 PMAs soon as I get some miles, and hopefully no flats, I'll give a quick ride review.
Looking forward to it! Mine arrived, but I have not installed them yet. I have tire pressures down to a science, and change them for specific locations and terrain, but I know the liners are going to change all my reference points, lol.

sc00ter

I got around 50 miles on my Tannus liners on my 'Runner. Results: Rolling resistance doesn't seem to be affected. The 'Runner seems to run the same distance at the same PAS and battery consumption has not increased. Also seems to coast the same distance as before. I run 30psi. The liners also seem to make the tires grip a tad bit better on corners, especially at speed. Now everyone hears about shock/chatter being reduced. It might be because I run my psi to max but the little/small shocks are reduced, but the bigger ones are as jarring as I always remembered them. So overall I recommend them. I'll post any updates on issues I encounter or if I manage to get a flat, the dreaded "F" word!

sc00ter

I'm working on getting more real world riding on the Tannus liners. My work moved every ones hours around because of Covid, so if I pedal to work I'll be getting home close to midnight. No thanks. To many crazies and dummies out during those hours. Weird what a 2 hour difference makes at night. But my boss is trying to get us back to our normal hours so as soon as that happens I'll start pounding the miles on the 'Runner with the Tannus liners.

KinLL

Quote from: sc00ter on March 27, 2021, 06:10:12 PM
The slightly wider 'Runner tires are a tad harder to install the liners in.

Hi sc00ter,

I'm interested in the Tannus liner. Did you get the 20" x 1.95"-2.5" liner size? Seems like the biggest tyre width size on the Tannus website for 20 inch diameter size tyre.

sc00ter

20x3.0-4.0 is the size I installed on both the 'Runner and the 'Mini ST. Tannus site has them but their sold out. Rad Power website might have them in-stock. Also try a Pedego dealer if you have one in you general area. My Pedego dealer has a wide range in-stock.

KinLL

Quote from: sc00ter on April 18, 2021, 03:21:27 PM
20x3.0-4.0 is the size I installed on both the 'Runner and the 'Mini ST. Tannus site has them but their sold out. Rad Power website might have them in-stock. Also try a Pedego dealer if you have one in you general area. My Pedego dealer has a wide range in-stock.

Thanks, I've reached out to Tannus for a stock check. I'm based in UK, so no Pedego dealers around me unfortunately.