News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Topeak rack for Radmini

Started by pplupo, May 25, 2020, 07:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

pplupo

I searched the group, the forum and google for this info. I'm looking for confirmation that this: https://amzn.to/3yc0VDa
Will fit on a Radmini.
I believe I saw it somewhere on a Radmini, I just can't find it anywhere and I'm not sure if it really fits (especially now that I can't find it again).

And yes, I know about the mri-denver adapter but the adapter + the original rack are like 4 times the price for this rack.

And I know about the Ibera pakrak too... I was just hoping that this would sit closer to the fender. The Ibera one looks too high:

:-(

Plus, I believe there are more bag alternatives for the Topeak system, right? Is there a clear advantage in favor of the Ibera over this one?

Ryan

I think many people opt for Ibera since it still ends up being cheaper and they like that system though I know that the options from Topeak are popular on the RadRover.

I did a bunch of searching on the FB group which is painful (and the reason why I created this forum) and found this comment:

"Yes, you can, and you could even go with the regular version (not the disc version) as the calipers are post mount in line with the rear triangle tubing, as opposed to outboard of the frame. It's not necessary to get the fat version. You just need to consider that whatever you mount on the Quick Track may collide with your saddle depending on its height, since the Topeak racks are meant for frames that take full-sized 559 or larger wheels."

Guess it just depends if you're willing to take a chance. If you do, please report back so we can help other RadMini owners.

pplupo

Thank you so much, Ryan.
I'm not only new to having a Rad but I was only 12 (26 years ago) when I had my last bike. I don't know anything about calipers, but I suppose it's the breaking device, right? And you are saying it's on the same plane as the tubes, not on the sides of the bike, is that correct?

Quote from: Ryan on May 25, 2020, 08:25:13 PM(...) and you could even go with the regular version (not the disc version) as the calipers are post mount in line with the rear triangle tubing, as opposed to outboard of the frame.
If I buy the regular (not disc) version, is there any advantage? Would the bike take less space when folded?

Quote from: Ryan on May 25, 2020, 08:25:13 PM(...) whatever you mount on the Quick Track may collide with your saddle depending on its height (...)
So, in this case, the lower I can have it, the better, right? I believe having it lower would also have a positive impact on balance, am I correct?

Michael Wielgat

I just ordered my Rad City, but had a topeak bag from my previous bike.

I found Topeak sells an adapter plate, $18 that attached to your existing rack.   
Planning to add that to my bike and should be good.   They show as out of stock online, but I found my local bike shop had it on the shelf.

pplupo

Quote from: Michael Wielgat on May 26, 2020, 07:51:19 AM
I just ordered my Rad City, but had a topeak bag from my previous bike.

I found Topeak sells an adapter plate, $18 that attached to your existing rack.   
Planning to add that to my bike and should be good.   They show as out of stock online, but I found my local bike shop had it on the shelf.

Thank you, Michael, but the Rad City is a bit different from the Mini, and this question is all about dimensions. Also, as you said, Rad's rack is out of stock, and buying it plus the adapter would still cost like twice as much as a Topeak rack. :-/

pplupo

What about this attachment? Is there any sort of extension coming with the Topeak so I can attach it to the RadMini? The ones that come with Ibera seem to be MUCH longer.

Ryan

Quote from: pplupo on May 26, 2020, 06:37:26 AM
Thank you so much, Ryan.
I'm not only new to having a Rad but I was only 12 (26 years ago) when I had my last bike. I don't know anything about calipers, but I suppose it's the breaking device, right? And you are saying it's on the same plane as the tubes, not on the sides of the bike, is that correct?

Quote from: Ryan on May 25, 2020, 08:25:13 PM(...) and you could even go with the regular version (not the disc version) as the calipers are post mount in line with the rear triangle tubing, as opposed to outboard of the frame.
If I buy the regular (not disc) version, is there any advantage? Would the bike take less space when folded?

Quote from: Ryan on May 25, 2020, 08:25:13 PM(...) whatever you mount on the Quick Track may collide with your saddle depending on its height (...)
So, in this case, the lower I can have it, the better, right? I believe having it lower would also have a positive impact on balance, am I correct?

I'm kind of shooting in the dark here since all I have to go off is that one comment. Based on the frame design of the Mini it seems that you do not have to worry about the disc brake calipers being in the way as that post mentioned. This is the braking system where the calipers squeeze the disc as opposed to rim brakes on cheaper bikes.

Remember, none of these rear racks are made for such small frames so clearance with the saddle is always going to be a potential problem. You can see this with the Ibera rear racks as well.

You can buy extenders to accommodate smaller frames: https://amzn.to/3c5QdS6

I'm seeing free returns on Amazon so I'd personally buy a couple of options and keep what works. You can compare the different models on Topeaks website: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/products/racks

pplupo

Thank you all.
I'm now leaning towards this one:
https://amzn.to/2AhWIV3

Cru Jones 33

Check out:

mri-denver

Love there stuff!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stay RAD Stay SAFE

Veggyhed

I have a rad mini 2020 non-step through frame and I'm looking for a rear rack other than what rad sells.
Which rack you end up buying?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Cru Jones 33

Not sure why you would want to buy anything other than the rad rack. It's very strong and beefy and looks really great on the bike. That's just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stay RAD Stay SAFE

Beej

Quote from: Cru Jones 33 on July 21, 2020, 06:50:41 AM
Not sure why you would want to buy anything other than the rad rack...

the main reason is the radpower racks for radmini seem to be perpetually out of stock
and those tubes are well reported as too fat for many popular pannier bags

anybody finding anything confirmed good out there yet?

to add to my annoying constraints these radmini's are for kids where i need the seat as far down as it'll go, which makes "standard" height racks like the Ibera in original post pretty iffy... if it were for an adult i'd look at the Ibera height as a positive that the bags aren't so close to the ground.