News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Cable Operated Hydraulic Brakes

Started by FloridaBoy, February 06, 2021, 11:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

FloridaBoy

Purchased the calipers from Bolton.
Finally got around to getting some brass tube to swage the cut wire cable.
Got 3 12" inch 1/16" brass tubing from Hobby Lobby for $4.00.
It's in the "model" section.
Everything went as the Bolton video says it will . . . . . BUT . .. .
It may be a change on the Rad Rover 5 ...? ?   As they upgraded the rotor to 180 mm.
On the rear caliper you have to be careful when you remove the old mechanical caliper
as there are 2 concave (?) spacers on each screw that you will need to mount the new calipers.
I did not need the spacer bars that were shipped with the new calipers.
Also I re-used the longer mounting screws that were on the old rear calipers.

Now . . for the verdict. It is quieter, easier to adjust for sure  . . .. but no significant immediate increase in braking.
I suspect that may change a little after the pads "seat.          Will let you know.

jbfoster

How are your new hydraulic brakes doing? I have read mixed reviews. Some say they brake better some say no braking difference.

Thanks
Jim

FloridaBoy

The brakes are performing well.
But I wouldn't encourage anyone to make the change over the mechanical caliper
I haven't gone thru the basic adjustment again, to see if there is an improvement yet.
In replacing the original caliper i learned that the adjustment wasn't that difficult?
I don't have any real hills in Florida to challenge the stopping power.

jbfoster

I have read that some say the hydraulic stop better than the stock. Some say no difference in stopping but adjusting is easier than the stock brakes. For now I will use the stock brakes.

Jim

Rockwallrick

I live in the Florida " hill " country.  I have already worn out the rear brakes on my Radrover with only 600 miles on it. My daily ride starts with a steep decline where I have to ride the brakes most of the way down.
I will say that the power assist is fantastic for coming back up this hill!!!  :)