News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Charging/best practices

Started by radrover4fun, October 15, 2020, 04:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

radrover4fun

So I am curious what people are doing regarding charging...  The manual says that the battery will not overcharge yet it also says to remove from charger/unplug after charging and not to let it charge longer than 12 hours...  So you know, don't fall asleep and forget about it or what?  It seems to indicate that its not good for the charger itself.  What do y'all do?  Has anyone had a charger go bad from leaving it plugged into bike? 

Thanks

Dan B

I purchased one of this plug in dial timers and I plug the charger into that. Then I set the timer to turn off in about 6-8 hours. I tend to follow the owners manual in regards to the battery because I believe they know more than I do about their product. Good luck and enjoy your Rad...

Altema

Even solid state components have a limited life cycle, and if Rad set no limits, then we would always have 'that guy" who leaves his bike plugged in all the time  ;)
Unplugging reduces unnecessary wear on the charger, and also the input port electronics on the battery which is always live.

I plug in after every significant ride, and keep my eye on it so I can unplug when the light goes green. If I'm really tired, I'll wait and plug in just before bed, and unplug in the morning.

Dan B's idea of a timer is great, and I think I have one of those laying about I can use. I could have used it last night, as I came home from 35 miles of aggressive riding, which included using a hand saw to cut through a tree which had fallen across the bike path. I REALLY didn't want to babysit the charger, and a timer would have solved that.