News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadMini ST rear rack questions

Started by SergeL, September 12, 2021, 09:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

SergeL

Would anybody know for sure the size and thread pitch of the lower mounting bracket for the rack on this bike? I know that a M5 x .8 has lots of free-play, and I am not sure about an M6 (I tried one, but it did not seem to start threading, maybe due to the thick coat of paiint?).

The racks are not currently available in Canada, though they are in the US at this time, but we cannot order from the US website. Either I wait patiently that a rack becomes available this side of the border, or I try to fit something from a third party. Any suggestions in this regard, other than what has been posted here before?

Thanks!

JimL

Yes, the lower threads are 6 x 1.0.  I had to use a tap on all four Minis due to the powdercoat in the threads.  I also used a tap to clean up the 5 x 0.8 on the upper mounts.  Powdercoat can actually deform the aluminum, and the threads could be damaged by initial installation of new bolts.

I have found it advisable to clean up the threads (using good quality die) on any original small bolts that you remove and reuse (such as bottle carrier bolts).  The bolt finish quality is not up to my standards, and I have replaced a few with Japan made metric hardware.

On the lower rack mount bolts, I put an "acorn" stainless steel 6mm nut on the end of the bolt (after the nut) to keep from snagging skin or rags/brushes when cleaning the bike.  Like grandma always said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

And....it looks nicer.

SemperVee

I just stripped the head installing on my Rad Mini and had to run to Home Depot for better hex heads  (M5 x 25mm)   Now onto the second Rad Mini we got this weekend install!!!  LOL

SergeL

Quote from: JimL on September 13, 2021, 09:09:34 AM
Yes, the lower threads are 6 x 1.0.  I had to use a tap on all four Minis due to the powdercoat in the threads.  I also used a tap to clean up the 5 x 0.8 on the upper mounts.  Powdercoat can actually deform the aluminum, and the threads could be damaged by initial installation of new bolts.

I have found it advisable to clean up the threads (using good quality die) on any original small bolts that you remove and reuse (such as bottle carrier bolts).  The bolt finish quality is not up to my standards, and I have replaced a few with Japan made metric hardware.

On the lower rack mount bolts, I put an "acorn" stainless steel 6mm nut on the end of the bolt (after the nut) to keep from snagging skin or rags/brushes when cleaning the bike.  Like grandma always said, "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

And....it looks nicer.

Thanks for all this information and tips! I also noticed that of the two lower mounting tabs, the one on the chain side seems a bit "crooked" compared to the other one. Which would be consistent with posts outlining difficulty in making of one the bolts fit on these tabs.

SergeL

Update: I managed to get my hands on a RadMini rear rack (sheer luck? It seemed to be available here on the Canadian website for maybe a full day).

The rack I received had four oval-shaped mounting holes, which greatly facilitated alignment and installation. To make life easier, I tapped all four threaded mounting points on the bike (M5 top, M6 bottom) - which was THE thing to do. I worked from outboard in on all four and could tighten everything nice without stripping anything.