News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Need help thinking through gearing

Started by Ryan, September 08, 2021, 08:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Ryan

I am trying to compare the RadMini and Lectric XP 2.0 when it comes to gearing. Particularly when it comes to the high gears.

The RadMini has a 48T crankset up front with an 11-34T freewheel.
The Lectric XP has 52T crankset up front with 14-28T freewheel.

Any experts want to weigh in on which one has higher gearing to be able to continue to pedal at higher speeds? Thanks!

Edit: In doing research these are the gear ratios for the highest gear:
4.36 - RadMini
3.71 - Lectric XP 2.0

Lowest gear:
1.41- RadMini
1.85 - Lectric XP 2.0

So the RadMini has better gearing on the top and low end and is thus more versatile. Let me know if you agree  :)

JimL

The total gear ratio is not a complete answer to "energy in - drive out".  Increasing the crank sprocket tooth count reduces torque fed into the chain (by your legs).  This is simply the age old rule of leverage.

The larger crank sprocket also generates more chain speed, which is increased friction for you to work against.  The little things add up, in a world of compromise.

For example:  Smaller rear sprockets have more cyclic variation of torque into the freewheel, as well as a little more friction drag bending the link angles tighter.  At the speeds we ride, this isn't a big deal....but it's one more example of something simple that is actually complicated.

Fun stuff, ain't it?