News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadMini 4 vs, RadMini Step-Thru 2

Started by jimsinoregon, August 26, 2021, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jimsinoregon

Hi,
I'm wondering if RadMini 4 and the RadMini Step-Thru 2 are essentially the same bike (except for the step-thru)?  In other words do they offer the exact same performance components?
Thanks for your help...Jim   

sc0pecr33p

I own both. Purchased in 2021. They are the same, even the tires.

jimsinoregon

Thanks sc0pecr33p,

I attached Rad's answer.  Yours was more concise. :)

One other question, if you don't mind.  I'm trying to decide between the two models.  I'm 65 y.o., 5'10", 265 lbs.  Basically, a fairly clumsy old man. :)  Would you recommend that I buy the step thru or would the RadMini be better.  I realize I'm a sexist old man, but when I see step thru, I think girls bike. 

Jim

sc0pecr33p

Quote from: jimsinoregon on August 26, 2021, 10:07:30 AM
Thanks sc0pecr33p,

One other question, if you don't mind.  I'm trying to decide between the two models.  I'm 65 y.o., 5'10", 265 lbs.  Basically, a fairly clumsy old man. :)  Would you recommend that I buy the step thru or would the RadMini be better.  I realize I'm a sexist old man, but when I see step thru, I think girls bike. 

Jim

The step-through bike is considered a gender-neutral bike. A man or women can ride it. I would recommend the step-through to mount and dismount easier. Keep on truckin sexy!

sc0pecr33p

Quote from: jimsinoregon on August 26, 2021, 10:07:30 AM
Thanks sc0pecr33p,

Jim

Jim one more tip. If you don't plan on using the folding feature of the bike, you could look at the RadRunner Plus which has a step-through as well and looks a bit more masculine. ;-)

jimsinoregon

The step-through bike is considered a gender-neutral bike. A man or women can ride it. I would recommend the step-through to mount and dismount easier. Keep on truckin sexy!
[/quote]

Lol...at my age I'm gender-neutral anyway! :)  Thanks for all the info. 

Jim

jimsinoregon

Jim one more tip. If you don't plan on using the folding feature of the bike, you could look at the RadRunner Plus which has a step-through as well and looks a bit more masculine. ;-)
[/quote]

I need the foldable.  A friend of mine has the RadRunner Plus and a RadMini step thru.  I agree the RadRunner Plus looks more manly, but it felt too big and heavy for me (and of course it doesn't fold).  I think I'll get the RadMini Step-thru.  I probably should ride it side-saddle. :)  Thanks for all the help.

Jim

Jman

I own a Radrunner and a Rad Mini ST.  The way I look at it is the Rad Mini ST is a folding version of a RadRunner Plus for a better price.

RadJohn

Quote from: jimsinoregon on August 26, 2021, 03:12:37 PM...I think I'll get the RadMini Step-thru...

Good idea! Don't be like me and buy a Mini 4 because it didn't look like a girls bike, and 3800+ miles later find yourself wishing you had bought a Step-Thru.

With that said, I use a mounting technique that doesn't involve throwing a leg over my rather tall rear mounted rack topper bag and feeling like I'm about to dislocate a hip:
I stand on the left side of the bike, put my left foot on the left pedal and push off with my right foot while cranking the throttle wide open. I pull my right foot forward and up and the building momentum of the bike seems to help the right foot clear the top tube and come down on the right pedal (for a second it does look like you're trying to ride sidesaddle). It would probably be even easier to accomplish on a step-thru if you get bored with being normal.  The technique works on a regular Mini because it has a relatively lop top tube (not so on a regular Rover, City or Mission).

RandyS

A couple of differences that you may or may not care about...

The step through has the cables/wiring inside the tube that goes back towards the battery, so it's a little cleaner looking.  The step-through also has the capability of mounting a water bottle bracket on that down tube (the screws are pre-mounted and ready to attach a bracket), whereas the regular Mini doesn't have that capability...

TNOutback

The reach on the Mini ST is a bit longer than the reach on the Mini 4, which seems the opposite of what it should be.  With the ST model, I would expect shorter people (and shorter reach) would be more likely to select the ST.

RadJohn

Quote from: RandyS on August 27, 2021, 03:25:15 PM...The step-through also has the capability of mounting a water bottle bracket on that down tube (the screws are pre-mounted and ready to attach a bracket), whereas the regular Mini doesn't have that capability...

Yeah, the water bottle mounts right where one steps through. I've met more than one MIni ST owner who has added the kind of front rack mount mounted dual bottle holder people use on regular Minis to get the ST downtube mounted bottle out of their way.

JimInPT

Quote from: jimsinoregon on August 26, 2021, 10:07:30 AMI'm trying to decide between the two models.  I'm 65 y.o., 5'10", 265 lbs.  Basically, a fairly clumsy old man. :)  Would you recommend that I buy the step thru or would the RadMini be better.  I realize I'm a sexist old man, but when I see step thru, I think girls bike. 

Jim

I don't think you'll regret your decision to buy the StepThru.  I'm a little shorter and a little lighter than you, but about the same age.  My knees were pretty much insisting on the ST, but I briefly thought "girl's bike?  circus clown?  Shriner?" until I remembered that I'm old enough to not give a crap.

It's a great little bike and I don't think I look too goofy on it, based on store window reflections, and nobody has laughed out loud so far.  I got a dual-bottle water holder for the front stem; started out with a single bottle on the downtube, but kept kicking into it when getting on/off, especially with a long-nosed Cloud 9 seat I'm pretty far forward when doing that.  Have tricked it out with a few accessories and it's becoming a very good fit for my life.

If you want to butch it up a little bit with different knobby tires, check out the first pic in this thread:  https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1280.0

I do believe you'll enjoy your ride, especially with the great discounted price this month.

Cheers,
Jim
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.