News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Odometer reset itself

Started by Vern, August 02, 2021, 05:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Vern

My Odometer reset it self some how, The only thing I did was disconnect the rear tailite because I was waiting for the tail lite extension wire after I put the rear rack on, So I rode out to the mail box and back and noticed the odometer reset, and I had 67 miles on it now it's back to zero, Any ideas ???

RobtRoma

Did you accidentally switch it to the trip meter?  That's the only thing I can think of.

SDrider

My RadRunner Plus odometer seems to reset every 100 miles or so, I have no clue why. So if anyone knows the fix to this, I'm interested as well.

Vern

The odometer reset it self again after another 50 miles so I called Rad and after a little connection checking they sent me another display, So now I'm keeping an eye on the odometer and hoping that it was the display ?

bigpapaporsche

This is interesting! I think our new Rad Mini ST 2 just did the same thing. I had 15 miles on it now 0. I did remove the battery, to save weight during lifting the bike into our SUV, but I wouldn't think that would cause a problem. Any ideas?

moparherb

I'm not sure I have the answer but I have an idea. My RadRunner Plus did the same thing with only three miles on the odometer. Here is my theory. If you remove the battery after a ride, either to recharge in the house or to put the bike on a rack for transport and you DON'T push the mode button to discharge the controller or whatever needs tp be discharged it leads to the odometer resetting. At least in my case that is what has happened. I always bring my battery in the house for recharge because it can get really warm in my garage. The first time, with only three miles, I did not do that and the odometer reset. Now after theorizing this my odometer reads 119 and has not reset. I'm only guessing but if your odometer has reset try making sure you discharge by pushing the mode button after you turn the key to off then remove the battery and see if this helps your situation.

Rboate

My 2021 City 4 did the same today.  I took the battery off to transport the bike and when I reattached the battery the odometer was back to zero.  I rode 40 KM and came home and when I put the battery back on it was still at 40 KM.  I have emailed RadPower to see what their response is.

FresnoRadRider

I have a RadCity 4 and the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. I thought I did something to cause it to reset. At least I know it's not just me. I had about 280 miles before it reset itself.

gera tho

Moparherb has it exactly right. The motor has to be turned off on the LCD Display Remote before you turn it off with the key. Moparherb calls that discharging the controller or maybe it just has that effect but it prevents screwy things from happening like the odometer reseting itself to zero. Mine reset just after 300 miles and I had just been turning everything off with the key up till that point. I searched online for a possible answer and found this forum first and news that it MIGHT be a possible defect and Rad replaced one user's LCD display (I have a RadCity4). I finally got through to Rad tech support through their online Chat and Rad said that the displays were not defective - exactly - but prone to zeroing out the Odometer if you shut down with just the key. I don't know how moparherb picked up on this (I don't see it in the manual) but Rad said to hold the middle Mode button on the remote for 2-3 seconds to turn off the display before turning the key off. I always key off and take the battery inside to recharge after a ride. I will re-post again if this solution doesn't hold up.

DickB

Quote from: gera tho on October 04, 2023, 05:40:25 PM
Moparherb has it exactly right. The motor has to be turned off on the LCD Display Remote before you turn it off with the key. Moparherb calls that discharging the controller or maybe it just has that effect but it prevents screwy things from happening like the odometer reseting itself to zero. Mine reset just after 300 miles and I had just been turning everything off with the key up till that point. I searched online for a possible answer and found this forum first and news that it MIGHT be a possible defect and Rad replaced one user's LCD display (I have a RadCity4). I finally got through to Rad tech support through their online Chat and Rad said that the displays were not defective - exactly - but prone to zeroing out the Odometer if you shut down with just the key. I don't know how moparherb picked up on this (I don't see it in the manual) but Rad said to hold the middle Mode button on the remote for 2-3 seconds to turn off the display before turning the key off. I always key off and take the battery inside to recharge after a ride. I will re-post again if this solution doesn't hold up.
I don't buy this. I've been shutting mine off with the key after daily rides for more than 2 years and 6000 miles.

MagnumPA

This happened a while back on my RadRunnerPlus, more than once actually.  Someone here said if you touch the brake lever while turning the power on or off, it will reset.  The bike still works fine so I'm not too worried about it.

inoxa

[/quote]I don't buy this. I've been shutting mine off with the key after daily rides for more than 2 years and 6000 miles.
[/quote]

Which model do you have? 

I have a Rover 5 with over 6000 miles and I have not had the problem with turning the key off without turning the display off. 

Maybe it is just the newer models with the newer displays having the problems.   

Radding Along

It?s a known issue on Rad bikes with the batteries that allow you to switch them off with a key.

If you turn the bike off at the battery instead of the handlebar switch, you run the risk of the display resetting. It doesn?t happen all the time, but it will happen eventually. For some, it happens quite often.

Turn the bike off at the handlebar switch and you will never have the issue.

DickB

Quote from: Radding Along on October 10, 2023, 09:29:45 PM
It?s a known issue on Rad bikes with the batteries that allow you to switch them off with a key.

If you turn the bike off at the battery instead of the handlebar switch, you run the risk of the display resetting. It doesn?t happen all the time, but it will happen eventually. For some, it happens quite often.

No, the display is defective. I've been switching my Rover 5 off with the key virtually every day for 2 years and 6000 miles no problem. It will not happen eventually.

inoxa

Quote from: DickB on October 11, 2023, 03:26:20 AM
Quote from: Radding Along on October 10, 2023, 09:29:45 PM

No, the display is defective. I've been switching my Rover 5 off with the key virtually every day for 2 years and 6000 miles no problem. It will not happen eventually.

Same with me no problems with my Rover 5 with over 6000 miles and over 3 years.