News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Speed limiter in 2020 Rad Rover

Started by Doug S, July 23, 2021, 05:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Doug S

Purchased my Rad Rover this year and enjoying the ride but the bike has an unusual habit of losing power seemingly at random. Not super frequent so I just live with it. After riding about 325 miles, the bike finally went into a mode where the motor would run for about 2 seconds and then stops outputting power. I could stop the bike, pedal or throttle again and same thing; the motor stops outputting power after a couple seconds. Contacted Rad power bike and they very kindly sent me a replacement controller. Installed the replacement controller and same darn thing.

The issue turns out to be a speed limiter setting in the display. The display appears to use a non volatile memory (which makes sense since total miles are saved between power cycles) and saves controller data. Even after switching out motor controllers the display is retaining the settings. In the setup menu, under "operating mode" my version of display allows you to select a top speed. From 14 to 40 kph. Somehow my display reset itself to the lowest speed setting 14 kph. Changing the top speed back to 40 kph seems to have solved the problem - for today. The radpower bikes documentation has not been updated yet for this feature because "speed setting" or speed limit" is just not mentioned. Hope this is helpful.