News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radmini clacking noise.

Started by RadMichi, June 23, 2021, 02:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadMichi

Hello Radmini owners,
I also recently got a Radmini (EU version).
So far I am also very satisfied, except for one thing I have a question for the Radmini owners.
When starting I have every time a rather loud clack. This clacking noise always comes when the chain is not under full tension, so if I do not fully pedal. Also when loosely pedaling it often clacks.
I find this a bit strange, because I do not know this from other wheels. It is somewhat annoying because it is quite loud.
I have watched a lot of videos of the Radmini before buying. Since that was never mentioned and I have never noticed that.
I have Radpowerbikes.eu also written about it.
There I was told that this is normal. It is the engagement of the chain.
Now my question to you: Do you also have this very clearly perceptible clacking when starting?
Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Many greetings,
Michael

vudude

I have the CLACK!  Mine clacks while turning slowly. I believe it is coming from the front end, below the handle bars. Welcome to the forum.

Tony

RadMichi, I experienced a bit of this when the bike was new. I think it's the pedals taking up the slack in the chain when the gears engage to drive foreword. I don't get it now, maybe my riding has improved. 
vudude, I get this small click clack from the lower front on small bumps. Not tracked it down yet.

JimInPT

Quote from: RadMichi on June 23, 2021, 02:30:53 AMWhen starting I have every time a rather loud clack. This clacking noise always comes when the chain is not under full tension, so if I do not fully pedal. Also when loosely pedaling it often clacks.

Are you in the lowest gears (1 or 2) when this happens?  My Mini ST2 sometimes clicks, noticeably but not loudly, in the very lowest gears - my bike shop guy and I both think it's due to the chain being at a pretty severe angle to the front and rear sprockets in the lowest gears because the distance between them is so short (it's easy to see if you leave it in first gear and look down from above).  So the chain is trying (and usually failing) to slip off the rear sprocket to a higher gear.  I'm only rarely in 1st or 2nd gear; once I upshift the noise is gone as the chain angle straightens out.

It's just the bike's geometry and nothing to be done about it, if your issue is the same as mine, and it shouldn't be a problem.  If it happens a lot, perhaps your derailleur needs a bit of adjustment.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

RadMichi

Thanks to all for your answers!

The noise is present in all gears.
Some owners do not have any clacking noises at all.
Apparently, there is a difference in the processing.
I'll ask a bike dealer what he says about it.

Hessel

I don't know if this is the same noise you are hearing, but after a few days of riding my new Rad Mini, I noticed a "clicking" noise when I rode on a tractor trail in the woods. Through process of elimination I traced it to the place where the bike folds. The latch was tight, but it's metal-to-metal where the two halves come together. A spray of WD-40 took care of it.

pehayes

Do you roll the bike backwards just before riding?  Such as to roll it out of the garage?  If so, the chain will easily move to a 'wrong' cassette sprocket.  As soon as you start pedaling, the chain quickly aligns and drops to the proper sprocket and may be noisy.  See if you can lift the bike or move it without rolling backwards and then see if the clacking still persists.  Report back.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA