Author Topic: Battery performance  (Read 2068 times)

Mrwoodmin

• View Profile
Battery performance
« on: June 03, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »
Just looking for a little input on battery performance. The question is at what point when riding does the battery start to loose its assistance, such as is there any difference for three bars down two bars of battery life to one bar? Or does it just suddenly drop out and you have no assist. I am assuming when its close from going from two to one bar of battery life there is a loss of torque??

Thanks, Im not having any problems just curious of what to expect, live in Vermont where hills are abundant

DCH3416

• View Profile
Re: Battery performance
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 03:57:24 PM »
Assistance gradually tapers off until the wattage runs down to zero, typically when the last bar starts flashing. Usually at about 25 miles in I'll kick it up from PAS 2 to 3. The furthest I've gone on a single charge is about 45 miles (PAS 1-2).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:59:19 PM by DCH3416 »

DickB

• View Profile
    • carveshop.com
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2021, 03:13:28 PM »
The nominal voltage of the Rad battery pack is 48V, but fully charged it will be 54V and fully depleted 39V. The controller will output full current, up to 750W,
down to about 45V. This corresponds to about 20% battery capacity remaining, or two bars on the display at rest (the Rad battery meter is not terribly accurate). Until that point, you will have full capability.  The controller does not start limiting power until about 20% capacity remaining.

More info:
https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1016.msg5122#msg5122

Corbin Wolf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 05:32:43 PM »
At 1 bar I felt the bike become sluggish.  It would not surpass 5 miles an hour. That only happened once to me though. I've never been the low on battery again. The latter is in part because I keep it mostly on PAS 1 now and also because I bring the charger with me everywhere just in case.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2021, 05:32:43 PM »