Author Topic: Bike Lock  (Read 32512 times)

Veggyhed

• View Profile
Re: Bike Lock
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 05:01:25 AM »
On prime day I was able to pick up a disc lock with alarm for $17. I use this in conjunction with my kryptonite new york and Abus granite 500x unlocks 

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boatinbear

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2020, 10:58:45 AM »

I've seen some folks attach it to their rear racks as well and you could secure it with some velcro. We typically just put our lock in a crate or in our backpack though we have a Rad Wagon. I've been really happy with this lock: https://amzn.to/2IpZngv

Hi Ryan.  That lock seems like a great deal.  First thing I think of is how good can it be for that price.    How do think this lock stack up against the other locks?    I do see that any lock can be cut so maybe what you have is enough?   Thx

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 07:09:56 PM »

I've seen some folks attach it to their rear racks as well and you could secure it with some velcro. We typically just put our lock in a crate or in our backpack though we have a Rad Wagon. I've been really happy with this lock: https://amzn.to/2IpZngv

Hi Ryan.  That lock seems like a great deal.  First thing I think of is how good can it be for that price.    How do think this lock stack up against the other locks?    I do see that any lock can be cut so maybe what you have is enough?   Thx

Sorry for the delayed response. I think it's a decent lock for the price, but I would not consider it high security. Better than using a cable lock but probably a step down from some of the other u-locks. I'd consider it in low theft areas as a quick way to lock up your bike.

oliver305

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 07:50:30 AM »
I have a Trimax, which is a heavy-duty chain that most thieves will look at before moving on to another bike. This item combines a chain with a strong solid steel disc U-lock. It produces a mixture that permits it to be suitable for a wide range of applications.

oliver305

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2021, 07:51:06 AM »
I have a Trimax, which is a heavy-duty chain that most thieves will look at before moving on to another bike. This item combines a chain with a strong solid steel disc U-lock. It produces a mixture that permits it to be suitable for a wide range of applications.

patrickwise

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2021, 05:43:17 AM »
If your bike happens to have a bike rack, then you can put the u-lock in it. I know some companies who are designing bike rack that enables the u-lock system to fit in perfectly. The rack has a wide opening that was made so that the u-lock can fit nicely into the bike rack. I am not sure if it is intentional or not but I was amazed by the design and how it perfectly fits the u-lock system.

RadFunner

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2021, 12:58:35 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if there were more of these around. 
RadRunner Plus

johnpeters

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2021, 04:37:32 AM »
Trimax combo set will really make someone think twice about the time it will take them to try and crack the lock. But it is way too heavy for my back pack, so i wrap it around my bike frame.

johnpeters

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 07:26:35 PM »
Trimax combo set will really make someone think twice about the time it will take them to try and crack the lock. But it is way too heavy for my back pack, so i wrap it around my bike frame.
This product combines the chain with a durable solid steel disc U-lock. It creates a combination that allows it to be suited for various applications. I used this chain lock on my motorcycle, trailer, ATV, and even my boat with effective results.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2021, 02:45:27 AM »
This last year I have started leaving my New York long kryptonite lock at the grocery store bike rack because it's under shelter at the place I have frequent several times a week.
I work 3 days a week minimum 13 hours and on my first day to work I leave my Abus Lock at work because it's in a sheltered bike locker. Most people who commute where I work leave their locks at work. I bring luck home on my third day.
I realize this is kind of expensive and not everyone can do that. I thought it was worth the extra expense and will be buying another u-lock and chain lock to stash at other places.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

JillGat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2021, 05:22:44 PM »
So a New York Kryptonite lock would probably be adequate for pretty good protection of the bike.  Do people steal the bike batteries and what is the best way to secure them?  I'm also interested in the GPS tracker idea, for finding your bike if it's stolen.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
Do people steal the bike batteries and what is the best way to secure them?

Pic below of the small U-lock I bought to help keep my MiniST battery onboard (added the reinforced plastic tubing to make it tighter and protect the paint); you didn't say which model you have - I think the MiniST is the only one that can be locked in place with this method, but not sure.

But it gets even worse - every prior-generation (up through the new semi-integrated design) battery can be easily stolen with a blank Honda motorcycle key available for about 7 bucks on eBay.  Turns out, the lock mechanism that Rad uses opens with a blank.  I carry a blank key with me to prove this to other Rad owners I encounter who don't believe it, by turning their battery off with it.   How's that for a dumb design?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 09:58:29 AM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

ClarkB

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2021, 01:39:19 PM »
A few weeks ago I bought a Pentagon brand 'D' lock and a Pentagon brand chain lock (10mm links, 110cm long).  I am very satisfied with their quality and value.  Here is why -

In the last month I researched bike locks ad nauseum,; at least 10-20 hours of research; having just ordered a Mini ST2 and having similar security concerns.  My research found that the 'D' locks by "Seatylocks" were as good or better than competing brands, but for less money; and are a superior value because Seatylock:

1) had the widest space in-between the shackles, and the longest reach (for their large 11" model),
2) Had a "Sold Secure 'Gold'" rating, and was later upgraded to "Sold Secure 'Diamond'" when that higher classification was added; so Seatylock 'D' locks are as good as the best of them - with triangular no-twist shackles and double locking lugs, hardened steel, and a strong complex lock-work. 
3) it is covered in plastic that won't scratch paint and a carrying bracket can be purchased separately. 
4) The Seatylock 'D' lock has the same rating and specs as the best Kryptonite or ABUS 'D' locks (except maybe the ABUS $300 gigantic 'D' lock), BUT it costs significantly less. 

Seatylock also has chain locks that are similar to the Kryptonite chain locks with the integrated lock.  The thickness (10mm) and hardness of the chains by Seatylock is equivalent to the chains by Kryptonite.  They come in 90cm, 110cm, and 140cm lengths.  I purchased the 110cm as being long enough for my Mini ST2, but lighter than the longer 140cm chain.  However, the Seatylock chain:

1) has a superior 2-layer wrap around the chain, made of silicone inside a nylon sleeve, to protect the bike's finish. 
2) has a better lock design that uses a magnet to hold the lock closed so that you don't need two hands to hold the ends together to lock the bike. 
3) again, the Seatylock is significantly less expensive than the Kryptonite or ABUS chains of similar weight and length.

THEN ... I noticed the Pentagon brand locks online - they are absolutely identical to the Seatylock locks.  Every feature is identical between all models of their two product line ups, just a different color.  Whatever the licensing agreement is between the brands, the Pentagon locks were consistently about $10 less than the exact same lock with a "Seatylock" label.  I looked far and wide to find any difference at all between the Seatylock locks and the Pentagon locks, and could find none.  The Pentagon locks are still 'only' rated Sold Secure 'Gold' because they haven't been put through the new 'Diamond' level tests yet, but I am confident that they will perform identical to the Seatylock versions.  They are the same locks.   

My plan is that I will use the 'D' lock for short duration lock-ups at low to moderate risk locations.  I will bring along the 6.5lb chain when I expect the bike to be parked longer and in a more risky environment.  I also have a motion alarm for such situations. 

I whole heartedly recommend that anybody looking for the best deal in a top quality bike lock consider the Pentagon brand.  If anyone has more knowledge they can share about the relationship or history between Seatylock and Pentagon, it would be appreciated.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2021, 02:46:37 PM »
Back in college, I learned how to pick a few types of locks just for fun and got pretty good at it (that, plus learning how to tap a beer keg, were almost as useful as my engineering degree), so every now and then I take a look at the recent videos from The Lock-Picking Lawyer https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer/videos.

He's done a ton of padlocks, chain locks, bar locks and U-locks for bikes, so might be worth checking on models of interest before buying.  For instance, he busted right through the heaviest ABUS folding-bar lock that's touted in many places and costs a lot of money.  I can only imagine the cheaper knockoffs wouldn't be any more difficult.  I have an ABUS Granit U-lock; they make great lock mechanisms and the U-locks are very tough to cut through compared to the folding bars.

These days, with battery-powered angle grinders and hydraulic cutters, it's worth putting a bit of thought into using a locking position that provides no or little leverage assistance or supporting surface to work against - like don't leave it where the lock is on the ground against concrete or other solid surface to work a bolt-cutter against.  Locking up high if possible, where nothing can be placed behind the lock, makes it more time-consuming to cut through.  And "security ratings" from companies you've never heard of can be skeevy.

Also, be very skeptical of "bike-replacement guarantees" offered by Kryptonite and other companies - it's very easy to find numerous complaints about the methods they use to weasel out of these and tell the applicant to suck eggs.

Think like a criminal; make it take too long, be too noisy or too likely to be noticed and they'll hopefully move along to an easier target unless they really want your specific bike.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 02:58:48 PM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Tree

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »
looking for recommendations for bike locks for the RadRover 6 Plus - being a fat tire bike, I'd need a lock that is big enough for the fat tires....

I'm in a fairly large city, so i'd need a decent lock, but I don't see my bike being locked up for more than a few hours at a time at most, plus the majority of bike theft here are thefts of opportunity.

thanks!

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »