News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RR 6Plus speed and wattage upgrade ??

Started by ChrisDelargy, January 22, 2022, 01:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ChrisDelargy

Hi everyone...just received my new RR6+ and working on the display speed and max watt menu. I can raise the speed to 40 kpm but the max wattage only has 2 choices 250 or 500. Should it not have the 750 option as well? Thanks in advance.

jcvdd

Quote from: ChrisDelargy on January 22, 2022, 01:50:18 PM
Hi everyone...just received my new RR6+ and working on the display speed and max watt menu. I can raise the speed to 40 kpm but the max wattage only has 2 choices 250 or 500. Should it not have the 750 option as well? Thanks in advance.

Interested in verifying your information as I just read that the newly shipped RR6, which I want to purchase indicates
that the end-consumer cannot raise the top speed to 25 mph>

Radding Along

What country are you in? I assume since you referred to kilometers, you don't live in the US. I believe EU regulations don't allow 750 watts. If I remember correctly, their limit is 500 watts, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure how Canada handles things. But I think they can have the full 750 watts.

Maybe others in those regions could chime in.

Ddaybc

Hi Radding along,
I live in Canada and they have limited our wattage to 500 watts. We don't have an option of purchasing over 500 watts for a cycle that is going to be used on the road.

Radding Along

Since you are limited to 500 watts, I can't imagine it would be legal in Canada's eyes if you were given a quick option by Rad to circumnavigate the current Candian laws. I'm not sure if you are regulated through the motor, controller and or the display. But something has been installed to limit your wattage in comparison to a US bike.

Probably not the answer you were looking for.

Ddaybc

Quote from: Radding Along on January 23, 2022, 06:24:50 PM
Since you are limited to 500 watts, I can't imagine it would be legal in Canada's eyes if you were given a quick option by Rad to circumnavigate the current Candian laws. I'm not sure if you are regulated through the motor, controller and or the display. But something has been installed to limit your wattage in comparison to a US bike.

Probably not the answer you were looking for.

I know for sure it would not be legal for Rad to offer us an option to exceed 500 watts. However, in my research I've discovered the wattage is limited by the controller, not the motor or the display. I don't know where our top speed is controlled from but my bike goes fast enough for me. What I'm looking for is more torque so I can climb hills better and/or carry more weight more effectively.
Maybe the original poster is from the EU as we don't have options for multiple wattage choices?

ChrisDelargy

Quote from: jcvdd on January 23, 2022, 08:09:02 AM
Quote from: ChrisDelargy on January 22, 2022, 01:50:18 PM

Interested in verifying your information as I just read that the newly shipped RR6, which I want to purchase indicates
that the end-consumer cannot raise the top speed to 25 mph>

Yes that is correct. In the hidden menu there are options for 20 or 25 mph, in my case in Canada if you choose kmh in the menu, it is 32 or 40 kmh. I did see a video, I believe from the originator of this forum, that in the same hidden menu, there are 3 options for max watts 250, 500 or 750. My RR only has 2 options 250 or 500.

JimInPT

Quote from: Ddaybc on January 23, 2022, 12:41:49 PM
I live in Canada and they have limited our wattage to 500 watts. We don't have an option of purchasing over 500 watts for a cycle that is going to be used on the road.

If I was you, I'd be asking the politicians (they work for you, right?) why they seem to regard Canadians as less competent than Americans when it comes to managing 750 watts, which is roughly ONE whole horsepower?  That's ridiculous; 500w (much less 250) is pitiful for hill-climbing unless you're a featherweight, and even then.  In fact, it's easy to construct scenarios where such low wattage would actually be dangerous for a rider out on the road with other motor vehicles, limiting his ability to get where he's going and avoid sketchy situations on the spur of the moment.  We have a roundabout with an uphill merge from one street; that would not be fun on a low-wattage bike trying to get in there with the cars.

But I don't play well with people who could only get government jobs, yet consider themselves entitled to micromanage the lives of everybody else who pays their income, instead of sticking to naitonal defense, courts, picking up the garbage and filling potholes in the road. 

But that's just me.  And I'm about to double the wattage of my MiniST2 for a bit more hill-busting torque.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

ChrisDelargy

Yes, the 750 watt option would be great for a little more out of the hole and hill climbing power!! Does anyone know of a way to reprogram the controller to allow for the 750 watt option. It must be doable if the US bikes have that option. I believe the controllers and motors are exactly the same As for our government, well that's a whole different forum. I think some of these rules are meant to be broken by individuals, who will enforce it. The manufacturers have no real choice but to follow.
I know I can upgrade the controller, but I just spent a bunch on this bike!

Kaz Jar

Ordered my Plus 6 November 6, 2021 and got it 2 weeks ago. I'm a first time ebike owner and live in Northern Ontario where we have a lot of snow this winter.  Streets are plowed but still messy with some crud. Max. speed when I lift rear wheel and throttle is 32 kph but out on unp and down streets I'm maxing out at about 24-25 kph. I did the max speed upgrade according to Ryan's instructions and max set speed is now 40 kph. Now, when I lift rear wheel and throttle speed hits 40 kph. On the street as described above max speed is 32-33 kph. Now, I just wish I could increase wattage to 750 but only option on Canada model is 250 or 500.

Tomster

I didn't realize that the Canadian models had the wattage limited to 500W...ugh.

So I am 6'5" and 230lbs. Any thoughts on whether 500W will be too underpowered for me. Not going up 15% incline hills but there are a fair amount of hills in my area. I expect most times I will be around the level 2-3 pedal assist as I am fit and do a lot of regular biking.

Oh and I realize I am at the top of the size chart for Rad bikes.

Thanks

Gecko

If at all possible, try one before you buy one.  500 watts is equal to PA 3-ish on the US model and I'd be wanting more.  Remember to add 80 lbs. for the bike, so you and it are hauling 310 lbs. up those hills, on fat tires.  I also live in a hilly area, am within 10 lbs. of you, and rode a lot (on much lighter bikes).   It sounds like there could be a lucrative market for bringing 750 watt bikes across the border!

Slowrider

Quote from: Tomster on March 13, 2022, 07:31:47 AM
I didn't realize that the Canadian models had the wattage limited to 500W...ugh.

So I am 6'5" and 230lbs. Any thoughts on whether 500W will be too underpowered for me. Not going up 15% incline hills but there are a fair amount of hills in my area. I expect most times I will be around the level 2-3 pedal assist as I am fit and do a lot of regular biking.

Oh and I realize I am at the top of the size chart for Rad bikes.

Thanks

I'm 250 lbs and while not 6' 5" so perhaps I'm more aerodynamic 🤣 I don't have any issues getting up hills in my area with PA4 and that maxes at about 500 watts if I remember correctly.  You might need PA5 to get 500 watts on your bike. 

I think it's limited by the display or at least that's different in US models because my display is marked "US version".  At least you're not in Europe where it's 250 watts

Kaz Jar

I'm 6 ft 190 lb. I don't have any problems going up steep hills with the 6+ in PAS 5. The occasional very steep offroad hill I need to stand up. But, I find the bike takes a beating on rough terrain. I have about 900 km on my bike since March 2022 and have had to replace several parts including the seatpost which I bent. If you want more torque you can buy offroad ebikes in Canada with 750 or 1000w motors from Rambo, QuietCat and I think Sondors. Tougher higher end components too but a lot pricier.