News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Better TIres for Radcity 5 plus-also a good shop for tune up in Toronto?

Started by Paco, March 07, 2024, 07:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Paco

I wonder...the stock tires (the bike has been ridden for 2,500km) still look ok. A bit smooth but ok, but when the time comes to replace them, do I have to buy the custom made 27.5" x 2" tires from RAD or what other option do I have? I would prefer Schwalbe tires with the best puncture resistance rating...has anyone tried them or do you always buy the tires from Rad? I would like something a bit wider too...maybe 2.2" or so...is it possible? The new bike line up includes tires 29" x 2.2" I think...
The bike needs a good tune up...a new chain for sure (I can feel it skipping when I pedal sometimes)...brakes..good brakes...suggestions? Not many bike shops in Toronto want to maintain ebikes (unless they are the brand they sell!)...just the mechanical parts...frustrating...if anyone in Toronto knows a good place pls pls share!
thanks

handlebar

I didn't like the 20 x 3.3 tires that came on my Radrunner. There wasn't much else available for those rims.

I've run 1200 miles on the 27.5 x 1.95 tires that came on my Radmission. I replaced the tubes with ones less porous. The tires have been okay. If I need new ones, I'll go to Modern Bike for their online listing of what's available in that diameter and approximately that width.

"Stretching" is usually how chains wear out. It's really a loosening of pin joints. A gauge to check is pretty cheap, but I use a digital caliper. I just checked one. First I checked roller diameters: .300 inch. Then I rolled the pedals to put one straight out in front and laid a board on it to put a bit of tension on the chain. Then, on the top run of chain, I measured across as many rollers as possible with my 6 inch caliper: 5.786. Links are nominally 1/2 inch, so that was 11 links plus an extra roller. So I subtracted 0.3 inch to get the length of 11 links with 11 rollers: 5.486.

A link is nominally 1/2 inch, so 11 links would be 5.500 inches, but chains are often manufactured undersized to have more allowance for wear. Many say 0.5% too long is okay. That would be would be 5.528 inches for 11 links. Most say a chain should be replaced if it's 1% too long. That would be 5.556 for 11 links.

When my bike "skips," it's not the chain but the derailleur. The lower wheel on a derailleur is the tensioner. The upper wheel is the guide. It should be adjusted so that the guide wheel lines up perfectly with the cog wheel for the gear you select. Adjustment instructions depend on what derailleur you have. They're online.

gooberff

I didn't like the stock tires on my Rad City 5.  When I would take one hand off the handlebars I would feel a light front end shake/wobble.  I changed to the schwabe marathon e-plus and they cured te problem.

handlebar

Quote from: gooberff on March 10, 2024, 09:48:12 AM
I didn't like the stock tires on my Rad City 5.  When I would take one hand off the handlebars I would feel a light front end shake/wobble.  I changed to the schwabe marathon e-plus and they cured te problem.

I guess I lucked out. My OE Radmision tire is a CST 50-584 with no model number on the sidewall. It's the same ERTRO size as the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus, but Schwalbe rounded it up to 2.00 inches, and CST rounded it down to 1.95.

My Radrunner was so unstable that I got tennis elbow keeping it straight with my right hand when I took my left hand off the bar to signal. In this case, it wasn't the fault of the tires but of the seating geometry. After I changed that, I could ride without touching the bars. In case the unexpected happened, I'd keep a thumb and forefinger looped around each hand grip, without contact.

Paco

thanks for the info! I will look into getting some Marathon e-plus tires...

Paco

Quote from: handlebar on March 08, 2024, 01:04:41 PM
I didn't like the 20 x 3.3 tires that came on my Radrunner. There wasn't much else available for those rims.

I've run 1200 miles on the 27.5 x 1.95 tires that came on my Radmission. I replaced the tubes with ones less porous. The tires have been okay. If I need new ones, I'll go to Modern Bike for their online listing of what's available in that diameter and approximately that width.

"Stretching" is usually how chains wear out. It's really a loosening of pin joints. A gauge to check is pretty cheap, but I use a digital caliper. I just checked one. First I checked roller diameters: .300 inch. Then I rolled the pedals to put one straight out in front and laid a board on it to put a bit of tension on the chain. Then, on the top run of chain, I measured across as many rollers as possible with my 6 inch caliper: 5.786. Links are nominally 1/2 inch, so that was 11 links plus an extra roller. So I subtracted 0.3 inch to get the length of 11 links with 11 rollers: 5.486.

A link is nominally 1/2 inch, so 11 links would be 5.500 inches, but chains are often manufactured undersized to have more allowance for wear. Many say 0.5% too long is okay. That would be would be 5.528 inches for 11 links. Most say a chain should be replaced if it's 1% too long. That would be 5.556 for 11 links.

When my bike "skips," it's not the chain but the derailleur. The lower wheel on a derailleur is the tensioner. The upper wheel is the guide. It should be adjusted so that the guide wheel lines up perfectly with the cog wheel for the gear you select. Adjustment instructions depend on what derailleur you have. They're online.

thanks so much! Good info! I will find a place locally to check the chain etc...biking season is here!

RadPaco

are  these the  tires you got?  in the 27.5x2" size?
https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-E-Plus-11159057.01

gooberff

Quote from: RadPaco on March 13, 2024, 10:54:57 AM
are  these the  tires you got?  in the 27.5x2" size?
https://www.schwalbetires.com/Marathon-E-Plus-11159057.01
Yes Those are the tires

Bobk

I have done 5,500 km on my Rad City 5 Plus Step-through. I replaced the OEM tires with Continental Contact Urbans that are rated for E50. They are available at Sportscheck. What a difference. They are slick tires with very little rolling resistance. I can now cycle in one gear higher than with the OEM tires.

The cheap pedals that came with the bike gave out at 5,200 km. I replaced them with Raceface Chesters. They are also an improvement.