Author Topic: Bolton 35amp controller. Any issues?  (Read 10622 times)

mbates50

• View Profile
Bolton 35amp controller. Any issues?
« on: February 02, 2021, 11:57:18 AM »
Just got my RR5 and thinking of changing out the controller. All I read about the Bolton is positive. Has anyone had any issues? Hate to void the warranty this early in the game

FloridaBoy

• View Profile
Re: Bolton 35amp controller. Any issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 04:18:34 AM »
No personal experience, though I have thought about it for the future.
But somewhere in one of the forums I read about the motor wires getting
rather warm on sustained hills. 10 gauge stranded wire is only rated for 28 amps.
So far, I haven't felt the need for more acceleration in Florida and will probably
think more about dual batteries to extend range ? ?

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 05:21:43 AM »

the 35a bolton radpower upgrade is the best mod i've done to my radrunner 1...so far!

i've been using the 35a bolton upgrade since last july with zero issues.

definitely increases the bottom-end performance - would recommend!

mbates50

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »

the 35a bolton radpower upgrade is the best mod i've done to my radrunner 1...so far!

Bolton states the stock 750 watt motor doesn’t like going much over 800 watts. Are you going much over that?

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 05:34:32 AM »

Bolton states the stock 750 watt motor doesn’t like going much over 800 watts. Are you going much over that?

in the 8 months i've used the bolton power upgrade i've barely topped 750 watts on any rides.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 05:36:19 AM by wkindred »

spyder918

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 04:04:27 AM »
had mine installed for almost a year now..zero issues and won’t go back to stock..these bikes should've come stock like this!

Bigcanoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 06:17:46 AM »
Does the new screen provide any new features/display or is it just the same as the stock one...but different?

kayak03

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 05:16:37 PM »
I put the controller on my 2019 Rad Rover. Between 7 and 10 mph, the stock Bafang would buzz like a LOUD, angry bee and the entire frame would vibrate. I tried every C5 and C14 combo to no avail. An email reply from Bolton said their controller would make more noise because of the increased output of the controller. With their upgraded motor, that wouldn’t be a problem.
Long story short, I switched back to the stock Rad controller and display, and all is quiet again. From everything I’ve read, the Bolton Upgrade Kit is a great upgrade. Unfortunately, it just wasn’t, for me.

gtrz07

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2021, 07:38:33 AM »

I’m considering the Bolton controller upgrade. I know it does wonders to the performance. However, my question to those who have it is, does the upgraded controller increase range or kill it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 12:23:38 PM »

I’m considering the Bolton controller upgrade. I know it does wonders to the performance. However, my question to those who have it is, does the upgraded controller increase range or kill it?

yeah, not really sure about the range question - i replaced my controller shortly after receiving the bike.

i can easily get 28+ miles with the riding i do.

gtrz07

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 07:05:42 AM »

yeah, not really sure about the range question - i replaced my controller shortly after receiving the bike.

Thanks for the info

mengelma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 11:52:53 AM »

Thanks for the info

I put about 1700 miles on the stock controller on my RR5.  I did upgrade to the bolton controller about 400 miles ago.  Overall it was worth it, much better acceleration and grunt.  As for range, all that power is not free and if you run it hard your battery will not last as long.  As an example with the stock controller on peddle assist 1, it would put out about 75 watts, on the bolton, using recommended settings, PA1 puts out about 200 watts.  You get better performance but your going to use more battery. The Bolton controller gives you more settings to control and you can dial that back on setting C14.  I have C14 set so PA 1 now puts out about 100 watts.  I ride about 25-27 miles and use about 1/3 of the battery (mostly PA1 and some PA2). Install was 100% plug and play, pretty easy. 

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2021, 10:47:07 AM »
I have the Bolton controller and motor upgrade and being a full throttle type rider I do see a big drop in range, maybe 20 miles max. But my wife and I rode the Trail of the CDA for 16 miles round trip and I only used about a bar. She has a no throttle Trek Ebike  so she cruises at about 8 mph, I set the cruise control to 8 and was using 60 watts just cruising along. So it really does make a huge difference on how you ride.

I had also done this same rail to trail ride before I did the upgrade peddling in pas 2  went 20 miles out and unfortunately only 18 miles back before the battery ran out. Runners with single speed are no fun even if it is only 2 miles.

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »
What would I gain by just upgrading the controller on my RadRover 5? Would the controller be to much for the stock motor?

Thanks
Jim

bikemoto

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 10:47:25 AM »
I actually had an issue with the stock controller on my RadRover 5. Power kept cutting out on me. I did the Bolton controller, Bafang motor and hydraulic caliper brakes upgrade. I needed more torque and power because I live in a hilly area I’m constantly in assist 4 or 5. I only get around 20 miles out of the stock battery when using that much assist. Performance is excellent and my power loss issue is resolved.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 10:47:25 AM »