Author Topic: Replacement tubes and liners suggestions  (Read 2703 times)

SoCoRuss

• View Profile
Replacement tubes and liners suggestions
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:47:38 AM »
 >:(Found out the Rad Rovers tires appear to be useless for western dirt roads/trails. Got ours in late summer rode them 6 times on a urban bike trail and no issues. The first time we went off trail, we got flats. Just a flat dirt road/forest service road/trail, not any MT bike rough trails. Appears the original tire tread ( minimal tread depth) is only Seattle bike trail worthy and offers no protection against pointed things. For us that's various types of thorns.. No liners inside and No thorn resistant tubes and try finding those now.

Asked local bike shop about puncture resistant tubes and was surprised to hear they don't make them for fat tire bikes? Does anyone know if someone does make the puncture resist. tires?.

Thinking I would get at least liners since no TR tubes. I was thinking about get a bigger size than the 4.0. maybe a 4.5-5 to protect further out on sides?  Has anyone had luck with a bigger size to protect the tubes sides better?

reppac

• View Profile
Re: Replacement tubes and liners suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 08:36:10 AM »
While I haven't had a problem with my stock tires, I've ordered tubes and liners from Tannus for my Radrover 5. I ride mainly on improved trails and bikeways but do ride some mild single track terrain. Once installed, I'll post my experience with the Tannus armour products.
https://tannusamerica.com

SoCoRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 09:42:29 AM »
Got my replacement Mongoose tubes and Mr Tuffy 4XL liners. They all went in fine. Took a short ride, and they were good. I think it was fine to get the larger size 4XL versus the 3XL. It seemed to cover a little more of the sidewalls. So we shall see. Weather sucks here so not much time to ride to evaluate them.

SoCoRuss

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 09:58:41 AM »
Forgot to add some stuff. When I pulled tires, I found multiple thorns in tires 8+ in each tire. But only 2 got thru on tires, so a little prop for tire toughness. Found a you tube video on using a small knife to get out the thorns when changing the tubes and it worked wonders on getting all of them out. Both my tubes were replaced and when I put liners in wife's bike, I found a small leak there so replaced her front tube also. Thank goodness I timed it right that Amazon actually had Mongoose 26X4 tubes.

BUT, the thorns were all in the flat areas between the knobs. That's the issue I think. There aren't enough knobs on the stock tires to keep them up off trails enough to protect from punctures. RAD should either put liners in them from factory or give an option for different tires for folks in areas with thorns and other off trail riding conditions. These tire are probably good for paved bike trails, but I have serious reservations for dirt trail use. Depending how things go with this upgrade on liners in spring, I may replace tires to more aggressive tires for more protection.

JoeUtah

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 07:56:35 AM »
As one of the early Radrover owners since 2017, I can tell you that with nearly 800 miles on the original Kendatire Juggernaut delivered with the bike, I have failed to destroy them in any kind of mountain / high desert terrain I've encountered. Yes they are an economy tire but they've handled goat head thorns in the summer, snowy trails in the winter and miles of asphalt in between. Let me add that the first thing I did was add the Mongoose tubes and the tuffy tire liners and that my friend is the crucial element in never having a single flat tire.  And yes, these Seattle worthy tires are surprisingly durable in the Rocky Mountains as well.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 10:17:28 PM »
If you're only having problems with goat head thorns puncturing your tires then slime would help. It is very effective against goat heads and if your tire does go flat normally you can just air it up spin the tire and carry on riding.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 10:17:28 PM »