Author Topic: Radrunner - alternative to high rise handlebars  (Read 4315 times)

mtngrl

• View Profile
Radrunner - alternative to high rise handlebars
« on: January 27, 2021, 05:12:34 AM »
I've had my Radrunner about a month now, and I am still not loving the high rise handlebars and am wondering if anyone has replaced the stock bars with something a bit more conventional. The stock bars are too high and too close for me. Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
Re: Radrunner - alternative to high rise handlebars
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 04:44:04 PM »
Have you looked for Low BMX bars?

mtngrl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 05:13:01 AM »
Nice idea re: the low BMX style bars. I'll have to take a look at that. Seems like moving everything over to new bars would be fairly straight forward as there shouldn't be any issues with cable lengths. I just would need to find one that is about the same diameter. Thanks.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 07:47:29 AM »
The stem is where you'll run into issues. First, its a 1" threadless. Older tech but still obviously used. There are limited choices for 1" threadless stems but I found a Promax 1" threadless Impact stem. The clamping area has to be 22.2mm for the bars as all bmx bars use that standard. I have the same stem set-up as my 'Runner on by beach cruiser. I purchased the Promax so I can have a wider variety of handlebars for my beach cruiser.

I found the stem on Planet BMX under the 1" threadless stems section. The Promax always seems to be out of stock though. Reach out to Planet BMX and ask. I have a gold one. Its (stem) is small but I think it'll be fine. If you can't get hold of one PM me as I've yet to swap over my beach cruiser and the stem is sitting around, never installed.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 07:52:54 AM »
I forgot to mention you can use shims on the bar clamp to make up the difference and keep the stock stem, but I've always had bad luck with shims. It would save you some money and time, and its not like your'e jumping the ebike so shims might be an option. Buy your bmx bars, shim them to fit and if the shims give you a problem then swap out the stem.

mtngrl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 08:43:53 AM »
Thanks sc00ter. I think I will first try to keep the stock stem. Do you know what the diameter is of the stock handlebars? I'm wondering if I could find something that might work without the need for shims.

Hehateme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »
I like this renthal fatbar. Low rise, real wide for more stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 10:56:48 AM »
If my math is correct the stem that's on your 'Runner is a 1" threadless with a 25.4mm clamping area for the bars. The trouble is there are few options new in bmx style bars that still use the 25.4mm "bubble" area that will fit your stock stem. I'm sure there are options but I've yet to find them in bmx style bars. ebay has some listed but make sure they have the bubble in the clamping area as not all sellers understand what they sell. Someone does have matte pink baby pink kids bars and some NOS Murray Power Bars that should work. A sub-$50 experiment. I'm digging those Murray bars!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:24:20 PM by sc00ter »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2021, 10:56:48 AM »