Author Topic: New bike battery what to do  (Read 5260 times)

dmann

• View Profile
New bike battery what to do
« on: January 09, 2021, 05:20:00 AM »
Just got my new Rad mini, came charged at 75%, since its been so cold in the northeast, and i wont be riding for some weeks, can i just not start up the use and charge 12 hr conditioning and leave battery and bike stored indoors for 6-8 weeks as long as battery indicates 75% power not being used. Then i assume use and charge when I can condition battery properly.

fin_rad

• View Profile
Re: New bike battery what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 01:55:36 PM »
Without any intelligent charger that would show you the exact charge level of your battery, best is to charge it to full with the original charger. Then leave for a month, and recharge. Full charge is better than no charge. Empty battery will get dead quite soon. How do I know?... :)

dmann

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »
I keep hearing that any long term storage should be kept at approximately 50-75%
And since i won't be able to ride for 6-8 weeks and wont be able to use and charge 12 hrs 3 cycles, thought it was best to leave battery as is at 75%.. Keep getting conflicting info.???

Bob Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 10:47:45 AM »
The Luna battery web page has all you need to know about batteries. If you don't want to look it up at least view this clip from their site. "Do not store your lithium batteries either fully charged or fully discharged….but somewhere in the middle. If you have a smart charger, we recommend you charge to 80 percent and store there.

If you are storing for a long period of time (like the several months of winter), charge it to around 50 percent and keep it in a fire-safe place."
https://www.electricbike.com/ebike-battery-longevity/
Hope you get riding weather soon.

dmann

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 11:16:44 AM »
Great, thanks that sounds in line with what iv been reading!!

Mudder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 04:23:00 PM »
Or ask Rad if ok to wait on battery balancing for that period of time.  Helpful folks on the phone.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 07:12:08 AM »
The Luna battery web page has all you need to know about batteries. If you don't want to look it up at least view this clip from their site. "Do not store your lithium batteries either fully charged or fully discharged….but somewhere in the middle. If you have a smart charger, we recommend you charge to 80 percent and store there.

If you are storing for a long period of time (like the several months of winter), charge it to around 50 percent and keep it in a fire-safe place."
https://www.electricbike.com/ebike-battery-longevity/
Hope you get riding weather soon.
This info has become standard for all lithium based batteries. You should also treat yourself on the same way.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 06:00:41 AM »
I just read my reply to the above post. Autocorrect is not my friend. The last line should have read you should treat your cell phone the same way.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2021, 06:00:41 AM »