News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

What are you using to record video on your bike?

Started by Altema, January 02, 2021, 04:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

Just curious as to what works well. I've tried a few things, with mixed results. Smartphones with OIS are thrown off by the intense vibrations, and it's hard to find a phone mount solid enough to make phones without OIS workable.

Currently, I'm switching up between two action cameras. One is an Akaso EK7000 4k action camera. The audio is acceptable, but the video shakes because this particular camera has no image stabilization (OIS or EIS). It was a gift, so no loss on my par, aside from having to buy another. One thing that makes the situation worse is that there are two ways to mount the camera. One is a waterproof box which kills the audio. The other is a snap-in frame that wobbles. The tripod mount on the bike itself is all metal and solid as, well, metal. The movement comes from the camera holder flexing.

My other unit is an old HTC RE camera which looks like an inhaler. It has image stabilization and better exposure, but the microphone is on top and catches all the wind noise, and I'm still working out ways to use a foam windscreen.

I went ahead and ordered the EK7000 Pro, which does have electronic image stabilization, and I also ordered a chest harness mount. We shall see how it goes, but what about you? What works and what doesn't?

Ryan

I use a GoPro Max for all of my footage. The stabilization and wind reduction is pretty amazing on it. I don't yet have a bike mount beside the Ram Mount I use for various shots. I tend to use the chest mount for first person footage. It is pricey though and I do like what I've seen out of the Insta360 cameras.

Whyme

I have had a lot of experience video taking while Hang Gliding and curently Paragliding, I used GoPros . Hang Gliding was easy mount on the down tube. Paragliding I had a chest mount backup parachute which gave a real stable view and great footage. I just recently purchase a Garmin and they have a small one that has excellent sound inspire of being in a case. The real plus with a Garmin you have the capability to record and view things like speed , route etc.
As for mounting while Ebiking I may have to McGyver it. Just got Garmin and it is winter here so haven't got to try it but have viewed others and am really impressed.

Altema

I have several ways of mounting cameras on the bike. There's my tripod mount on the front which is supposed to be a stem mount, but I modified it to fit the Rad rack mounts. Then I have a clamp on mount that is really strong and heavy.  Then I also have a pair of smaller handlebar mounts, and one that I can hang the camera under the crank for an interesting perspective.

My biggest obstacle is the camera itself, and if the Pro version of the EK7000 does not give me good results, then I may have to get a real GoPro. I'll see if I can shrink down a sample clip that I can upload here.

Altema

I had to cut down the samples to 12 seconds and 720p to fit here.
The first clip from a snow covered road using the HTC RE Camera.
The second clip is of a mountain bike trail using the Akaso action camera.
Both are actual speeds.

jbfoster

I have the GoPro max mounted on top of my helmet. I record in 360.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altema

The new Akaso EK7000 Pro arrived yesterday, and was a disappointment. The image stabilization is poor, and is only available at 720 and 1080P. The microphone also sounds terrible, so I boxed it back up and started the return process.
Looks like I'll need a GoPro to get decent results. I did receive a chest mount harness, but did not try it. I figured with my body eliminating the vibrations, the EK7000 without stabilization that I got for Christmas would work ok. It did work in the under-crank position, so that's another possible use.

Altema

Quote from: jbfoster on January 04, 2021, 03:02:55 PM
I have the GoPro max mounted on top of my helmet. I record in 360.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hmmm, that sounds interesting. Do you have a link to any samples?

wkindred

due to it's minimalist size, i'm using an $80 mobius maxi camera in a generic gopro handlebar mount recording at 2.7k / 4k.

i use the usb port on the bolton upgraded display to power the camera.

great quality video history archive of my rides.

unfortunately, nothing like being on the actual ride - the videos get boring after watching clips from several dozen rides.

..but non-riders find them entertaining.

;D

reppac

I use a GoPro 5 Black attached to a mount designed for the Garmin Edge. It mounts on the hard points for the front rack and provides a very solid base for the camera. I don't care too much for the movements in the body or handlebar mounts and this gives me the view I want.

Altema

Quote from: wkindred on January 05, 2021, 10:05:07 AM
due to it's minimalist size, i'm using an $80 mobius maxi camera in a generic gopro handlebar mount recording at 2.7k / 4k.

i use the usb port on the bolton upgraded display to power the camera.

great quality video history archive of my rides.

unfortunately, nothing like being on the actual ride - the videos get boring after watching clips from several dozen rides.

..but non-riders find them entertaining.

;D
I used the USB port plugged into the Akaso on my last ride. It has it's own battery and can make it for an hour, but it's easier to power the camera from the bike than to swap batteries mid-ride. Non-riders do find the videos entertaining, but my wife was horrified to see me doing 20 mph on snow and ice!

Altema

Quote from: reppac on January 05, 2021, 02:46:26 PM
I use a GoPro 5 Black attached to a mount designed for the Garmin Edge. It mounts on the hard points for the front rack and provides a very solid base for the camera. I don't care too much for the movements in the body or handlebar mounts and this gives me the view I want.
Similar position as my front mount. I like this view as well, but do you get shake from the frame vibrations?

Ryan

If anyone is curious here is how I film my videos on YouTube: https://youtu.be/WglM7XMTc2g

I'm really interested in what comes after the GoPro Max since it's likely what I'll continue to use due to only needing one camera for multiple use cases. I really enjoy editing and playing around with the 360 footage.

NaturallyRC

I just ordered the Akaso v50 Pro. Weird buying a four-year-old electronic gizmo, but after watching hours of reviews (including recent) it is, apparently, the action cam that suits my requirements...and BUDGET. I will try it on my helmet, bars, body, etc, and let everyone know what happens. Cheers...

Quote from: Altema on January 05, 2021, 07:58:06 AM
The new Akaso EK7000 Pro arrived yesterday, and was a disappointment. The image stabilization is poor, and is only available at 720 and 1080P. The microphone also sounds terrible, so I boxed it back up and started the return process.
Looks like I'll need a GoPro to get decent results. I did receive a chest mount harness, but did not try it. I figured with my body eliminating the vibrations, the EK7000 without stabilization that I got for Christmas would work ok. It did work in the under-crank position, so that's another possible use.

crorris

I just bought a GoPro Hero 9 at Costco on sale last week. I haven't used it yet. I'm headed to Florida at the end of this month to ride from Key Largo to Key West and back and wanted it for that. I also bought the accessory kit below from Amazon. It has a bunch of different mounting options. I still haven't decided between helmet, handlebars, or chest.

https://www.costco.com/gopro-hero9-black-action-camera-bundle.product.100756138.html?langId=-1&krypto=2An86ADmMDtLCg9GDlMX8E2wH6eLydyPpSWMYieqJgPBaHhmyl%2FPx3faIsrmcunQqRQh7r%2B2N8WApjoXeyV%2F0vkaueHjO2%2B2C6AaKdAesgKYXRPauS7tIgpQLSMyxmy8fe02tBidM2%2Fo0V9VSgk7tXBNig9YVwy8kVTVP88t3iALJGoozQ9TyiJCliOi5pSUZv2mfd5fablSDnlFXIZcGZd9R5zyOlGm4h%2FFieQai%2FM%3D

https://amzn.to/37LOdlR

I'll post an update when I get back from my trip.