Author Topic: Considering a rad wagon  (Read 4994 times)

bucho65

• View Profile
Considering a rad wagon
« on: December 03, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
Hello, I recently moved and I am now going to be living less than 5 miles away from work on streets that are mostly 30 mph or less. I’m looking into getting an ebike or an old school scooter for commuting since doing all those short trips isn’t really good for a car.  The ebike is appealing since I wouldn’t have to register, insure, or inspections and not having to do oil changes or buy gas.  However they are a new technology and i am wondering how long the components would last doing a couple hundred miles a month plus the ease of getting the parts or getting it serviced but chances are I’d probably be doing to work myself. Advantages of the scooter i feel is I know what to expect more. While there is oil and a spark plug to change if you keep up with maintenance chances are it will run forever if it’s a Honda and would have a much easier time getting parts for it.

The model I find most appealing is a rad wagon since I’d be able to cart my 2 kids around.  I would like to be able to ride it like a scooter. I wouldn’t mind pedaling occasionally But I don’t want to be sweating once I arrive at work or another destination.  The rad power bikes look like they use standard components and would be easy to upgrade once the original ones burn out or fail.  Would this be the case?  How many miles are the motor, controller, and battery good for if I’m on level 5 for pedal assist most of the time?  Ideally I would like 30-35 mph top speed that way I wouldn’t be running it wide open as much. I know this isn’t what they do out of the box but is it possible to do and keep it reliable? 

To sum it up what would be less of a headache to own, an ebike or traditional scooter? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sc00ter

• View Profile
Re: Considering a rad wagon
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:23:04 PM »
You sound like me! Here's why. I have a scooter as my main transportation. I put around 10,000 a year on my 2019 Piaggio Liberty 150. Also had a 98 Yamaha Zuma but gave it to a friend because it never got ridden. I was the same as you about an ebike but my commute is 14 miles each way. I started with a Pedego my wife bought me and ended up selling it and buying a RadRunner. Now the Liberty hasn't been ridden much lately and I'm thinking of selling it. The RadRunner is the perfect ebike for me. I have no urge to modify it to go faster or anything like that. If that time comes I'll just buy something more powerful and faster. So far the Juiced Hyper Scorpion is tempting. I have around 1500 trouble free miles on the RadRunner and its been very reliable and I don't take great care of it. Go down curbs, ride in the rain and its grubby. I have a SHAD 34 liter motorcycle trunk on it (stolen from my Zuma), mirrors on both sides and fenders (mine is a RadRunner 1). And how old school for a scooter/moped? I hate messing with older (90's and down) gas powered scooters because the 10% ethanol gas is causing chaos in the carburetors. Fuel injection is the only way to go nowadays. I just like the ebikes so much more.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:39:57 PM »
A scooter will be faster, an e-bike has fewer headaches, and the RadWagon in particular will be more versatile than a scooter.. It costs about 5 cents to charge, and that gets you between 25 and 45 miles depending on how much you pedal.
Reliability is top notch, and I take my RadMini on mountain bike trails. I have about 1500 trouble free miles on mine as well. In terms of wearing out, the battery will likely go first, and those can be replaced, rebuilt, or swapped for an aftermarket unit. The motors are common and should last you quite a few years longer than the battery. The Rad controllers are high quality and should last a lifetime, but if not they can be replaced with another original unit, or one of the many aftermarket ones.

bucho65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 06:40:15 AM »
Thanks for the advice and sounds like the bikes are reliable.  The juiced hyper Scorpion is kind of what I’m looking for.  I’ve been looking into ebike laws and the state I’m in, Massachusetts, treat them as mopeds that require registration.  That includes any ebike since they have a motor. Not sure how much that is enforced though since I’ve only been here for 6 months.  I can’t imagine being hassled if you keep speeds under 20mph.  I did see a group of yahoo’s over the summer in Boston on dirt bikes and quads. I’m sure a middle age guy on a cargo bike wouldn’t turn heads.

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 07:06:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice and sounds like the bikes are reliable.  The juiced hyper Scorpion is kind of what I’m looking for.  I’ve been looking into ebike laws and the state I’m in, Massachusetts, treat them as mopeds that require registration.  That includes any ebike since they have a motor. Not sure how much that is enforced though since I’ve only been here for 6 months.  I can’t imagine being hassled if you keep speeds under 20mph.  I did see a group of yahoo’s over the summer in Boston on dirt bikes and quads. I’m sure a middle age guy on a cargo bike wouldn’t turn heads.

i've been riding a black rad power radrunner 1 since april and purchased a juiced hyperscorpion in august. love both bikes - both are definitely attention getters...but the flashy electric blue hyperscorpion seems to attract the most attention...and inquiries. never had any law enforcement look twice...save the times they wanted to know where to buy one.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 07:07:43 AM by wkindred »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 08:31:08 AM »
Wow, I just looked up Massachusetts e-bike laws, and they are harsh!

"E-bike riders must carry a driver's license and are subject to registration requirements. No one under 16 years of age can use an e-bike. E-bikes are prohibited from all bike paths, as well as all sidewalks, regardless of local context."

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 08:55:29 AM »
Wow, I just looked up Massachusetts e-bike laws, and they are harsh!

"E-bike riders must carry a driver's license and are subject to registration requirements. No one under 16 years of age can use an e-bike. E-bikes are prohibited from all bike paths, as well as all sidewalks, regardless of local context."

wow, glad i live in iowa -

"In Iowa, an e-bike is defined as a “bicycle,” so long as the ebike’s motor is under 750w, with a top motor-assisted speed of
20 mph under motor power alone, and with fully operable pedals.

The same rules of the road apply to both e-bikes and humanpowered bicycles.

E-bikes are not subject to the registration, licensing or insurance
requirements that apply to motor vehicles.

Helmets are not required and there is no age minimum for e-bike
use. E-bikes are allowed on sidewalks and bike paths".

https://wsd-pfb-sparkinfluence.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2020/01/E-Bike-Law-Handouts_IA_2020-1.pdf

Per handout, "In many states, e-bikes are regulated under antiquated laws primarily aimed at combustion engine vehicles such as mopeds or scooters.

PeopleForBikes and the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association are clarifying state laws governing the use of e-bikes in the U.S.

Every state’s law is different, but the objective is to ensure that low-speed e-bikes are regulated similarly to traditional, human-powered bicycles."

« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 09:44:57 AM by wkindred »

wojtek-in-seattle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 10:59:43 PM »
RadWagon, and I think all Rad bikes, max out at 20 mph. Just an observation: NHTSA tests vehicles by crashing them at 35 mph. I would not want to go any near that speed on an ebike...

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 03:42:36 PM »
RadWagon, and I think all Rad bikes, max out at 20 mph. Just an observation: NHTSA tests vehicles by crashing them at 35 mph. I would not want to go any near that speed on an ebike...
Funny you should mention that, but I had my RadMini up to 42.4 mph. It was downhill and I couldn't keep up with the pedals, but it felt stable! The motor cuts off at 20 like it should, and the maximum speed that I can pedal is usually 34 mph, so any speed above that is just gravity doing its job. I used to do 40 mph on a vintage Fuji racing bike, but there's no way I'd touch the front brakes at that speed, especially on skinny 150 PSI tires. The Rad is more planted with a lower center of gravity.

bucho65

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 04:20:57 AM »
All my motor vehicles are capable of going well over 100mph.  It’s been years since I’ve been that fast and over 15 years since I’ve topped one of them out, for a few seconds at that.  I picked 35mph since you’d have some headroom while running at 20-25mph, quicker acceleration, easier to maintain that speed when a hill comes up, and components tend to last longer when not running at 100%.

Been looking at the Bolton 35amp controller and 750w motor that is available.  That might provide enough power Im looking for. With the add ons I’d want for the wagon and another controller and motor I’m looking at around $2500. We are just getting settled in our new house and I don’t know what our routine will be once this corona thing settles down.  I’ll be waiting until spring at least before making any decisions.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 04:20:57 AM »