Author Topic: RadWagon 4 2020 Custom Tires & Tubes  (Read 12503 times)

j.rohlfs@comcast.net

• View Profile
RadWagon 4 2020 Custom Tires & Tubes
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:04:29 AM »
BUYER BE WARE!!!

After 300 miles on my new RadWagon 4, the inevitable flat tire came in play.  Shredded the inner tube. 

This new ECO (engineering change order) design on 2020 RadWagon 4 has a new wheel set spec. 22" X 3.0 Tire & Tube.  Look on Rad's Web Site . . . this is a custom tire & tube.

Spent hours looking for replacement 22" X 3.0" spare tire and replacement tube, big no go.  Went back to Rad Power Customer Service, they admitted they do not carry the 22" X 3" tires or tubes to date.  Nothing in the pipeline from their fulfillment center in the works.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A RESOURCE FOR 22" x 3" INNER TUBES?  I NEED ONE BADLY.  HECK, I'LL BUY 5.  AND IF YOU HAVE THE LIKE FOR SPARE TIRE, I'LL GET ONE OF THOSE TOO TO KEEP IN MY STORES. 

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RadWagon 4 2020 Custom Tires & Tubes
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 06:54:43 PM »
So this is one of the downsides of the RadWagon 4 and of course, the pandemic hasn't helped. What was Rad's solution? Did they offer any other suggestions or a date at least?

jazzy_bob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 01:10:04 PM »
This is what I got from customer service when I asked them when replacement tubes would be available for the RadWagon 4:

Thanks for reaching out regarding your wagon! We are still working on stocking spare parts for this bike, but they will be available at the link below when we do have them!

https://bit.ly/3x6Vkwg

In the meantime, you might find success at your local bike shop or with a Google search to find retailers that sell 22x3" tubes. Unfortunately, I can't give any brand names out as we have only tested the quality of the tubes that come with our bikes!

So...not super helpful.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 09:58:03 AM by Ryan »

Antti L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 11:22:32 PM »
Hi. "We The People" is a German BMX company that is specialized around 22 in tire BMX bikes. They have a global distribution network and their products include 22in tires and tubes, but the widest tire they have is 2.35in (the "Feelin' Tire") instead of the 3in that Rad has put on the Radwagon 4. The tire is not as wide, but maybe it will suffice for you while you wait for Rad to stock their own 22in tires.

https://wethepeoplebmx.de/

I live in Finland and I plan to ride my Radwagon 4 throughout the winter, so I was looking for a studded winter tire solution. I calculated that I can fit a normal 24in tire on the Radwagon as the standard balloon-y 22x3in is almost the same circumference as a 24in tire. The issue here, however, is the fat bike-y 135mm front dropout width. I had to order a fat bike front hub from Hope (not cheap) and I plan to lace it up to a 24in rim. I knew this limitation going in when I bought the bike, but the other option was to go for a TERN GSD, but it would have been over 2.5x the price of the Radwagon.

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 01:48:15 AM »
Hi Antti,
nice idea and findings!

How do you plan on doing this for the back wheel or would you keep the current tire on that?

For the front wheel, I did come across a slightly less costly front hub (Novatech Fatbike) which I've seen for around 50 EUR right now in Germany.

On first look, the 24" inch rims aren't as easy to come by either. I'm looking for one that would fit the Schwalbe Marathon Winter wheels (47-507). Did you already come across a brand?

I've also never installed spokes myself on a rim and have to read up on what length I'd need, which I guess depends on the installation I'd want to do.

So if you'd like to share any more details, I'd be happy to hear more on your plans and progress on this.

gopam

• View Profile
    • VROOM GOPAM
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 12:03:02 PM »
Hi. "We The People" is a German BMX company that is specialized around 22 in tire BMX bikes. They have a global distribution network and their products include 22in tires and tubes, but the widest tire they have is 2.35in (the "Feelin' Tire") instead of the 3in that Rad has put on the Radwagon 4. The tire is not as wide, but maybe it will suffice for you while you wait for Rad to stock their own 22in tires.

I live in Finland and I plan to ride my Radwagon 4 throughout the winter, so I was looking for a studded winter tire solution. I calculated that I can fit a normal 24in tire on the Radwagon as the standard balloon-y 22x3in is almost the same circumference as a 24in tire. The issue here, however, is the fat bike-y 135mm front dropout width. I had to order a fat bike front hub from Hope (not cheap) and I plan to lace it up to a 24in rim. I knew this limitation going in when I bought the bike, but the other option was to go for a TERN GSD, but it would have been over 2.5x the price of the Radwagon.
This is fantastic info thanks for sharing Antti L. So far so good with the tires on my RadWagon 4.  But the fact that the new custom size tubes and tires are not available for purchase on the Rad Power bike site is daunting. Good to know there is something out there to purchase that will keep 'em riding.  Although I'm in California and I wonder how long a purchase from Germany would take to get to the states? Either way, thank you so much for this option!!
RadWagon 4 owner

YouTube Channel: VROOM GOPAM
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6TCUg_vMeH3P8OBSl_FFqw

jazzy_bob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 04:08:13 PM »
I have found a couple of replacement tubes that are close to the correct size. Disclaimer: I have not yet ordered/tested either of these and cannot vouch for them. From what I have read you should be able to use a narrower tube in a wider tire, but it's unclear how close the tube needs to be. The max listed width for these tubes is over 1/2 inch too narrow, so I'm not sure if just adding more air to them will work or have any negative side effects. I'd be curious to hear about any other tubes that folks have found. Both sources below are for 22 x 2.1-2.4 tubes:

1. https://www.sandmbikes.com/product/hardgoods/rubber/inner-tube/
2. https://www.danscomp.com/dans-comp-deluxe-bmx-inner-tube-schrader-valve-22-x-2.12.4-32mm-446006x1x2125/p1132266?v=1080559

Antti L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 03:29:10 AM »
Hi Antti,
nice idea and findings!

How do you plan on doing this for the back wheel or would you keep the current tire on that?

For the front wheel, I did come across a slightly less costly front hub (Novatech Fatbike) which I've seen for around 50 EUR right now in Germany.

On first look, the 24" inch rims aren't as easy to come by either. I'm looking for one that would fit the Schwalbe Marathon Winter wheels (47-507). Did you already come across a brand?

I've also never installed spokes myself on a rim and have to read up on what length I'd need, which I guess depends on the installation I'd want to do.

So if you'd like to share any more details, I'd be happy to hear more on your plans and progress on this.

I plan on keeping the rear wheel as is. During the winter I have found that the biggest risk is the front wheel slipping on ice and this causing the rider to fall (this has happened to me a few times over the years). Snow is not a problem for normal tires and the rear wheel slipping is not a big risk for falling. Traction will not be as good as during the summer, but this isn't really an issue for me (falling is the issue). I have run my normal around-the-town bike with a studded front tire during the winter and a regular "summer" tire on the back.

For the rims I have been looking at Holland Bike Shop (https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/bicycle-wheels/bicycle-rims/bicycle-rim-24-inch/) they have a lot of 24in rims to choose from.

I have built a few sets of wheels from rims, spokes and hubs myself. It takes a bit of learning, but if you are into fixing bikes, it is a fun skill to develop. When I built my first set, I found a local bike shop where you could "hire" the mechanic and work under his guidance using the shop's tools. The whole process took a few hours.

I also recommend Jobst Brandt's book "The Bicycle Wheel", it will tell you step by step how to lace up a standard 3-cross pattern.

I will update once I get around to building the wheel. The long term forecast for Helsinki, where I live, is that we are looking at a warmer than usual winter, so I will have to see if there is a need for winter tires. Of course this would all be much more simple if Rad had put 20in wheels on the RadWagon and I could buy tires from Schwalbe and put them on the rims as is.

jazzy_bob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 12:47:05 PM »
22x3 tubes now available! https://bit.ly/2IuFV5n
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 12:58:37 PM by Ryan »

scanton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 05:16:45 AM »

Hi Antti,

Also RadWagon 4 owner, also from Finland, also looking to use it year around. Could you spell your winter solutiion out in more detail, I'm quite new to this. :)

If I understand correctly, you've bought:

- Fat bike front hub from Hope
- 24" rim
- Some 24" winter tyre?

Have you tested it? Is it working? Do you mind sharing the specifications, so one could replicate the solution? :)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 05:18:21 AM by scanton »

roper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 04:55:49 AM »
I actually ended having my bike shop build the wheel for me. I found a Novatec fat bike hub that they ordered and using a sturdy 24" v shaped rim and a Schwalbe Marathon Winter wheel, they built the wheel for me and it fit beautifully (I was worried the v shaped rim would make everything too big, but it fit with no modifications to the fender.
All I did was switch the break disc from the existing wheel to the winter wheel.

It set me back 300 EUR in total, but I felt much better doing the daily day care run with two kids. As it was still around freezing in the morning, I still have it on, but I'll change back as soon as I get a chance.

Of course, what you lose is the suspension added by the original fat bike wheel. So the ride is maybe a bit bumpier.

totsubo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 08:22:54 AM »
I actually ended having my bike shop build the wheel for me. I found a Novatec fat bike hub that they ordered and using a sturdy 24" v shaped rim and a Schwalbe Marathon Winter wheel, they built the wheel for me and it fit beautifully (I was worried the v shaped rim would make everything too big, but it fit with no modifications to the fender.
All I did was switch the break disc from the existing wheel to the winter wheel.

It set me back 300 EUR in total, but I felt much better doing the daily day care run with two kids. As it was still around freezing in the morning, I still have it on, but I'll change back as soon as I get a chance.

Of course, what you lose is the suspension added by the original fat bike wheel. So the ride is maybe a bit bumpier.

Awesome! Please share pictures of your modification.

Antti L

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »
So I finally got around to building my 24in front wheel for my RadWagon 4. The hub is a Hope fatbike front disc hub and the rim is a Ryde Andra and the spokes are DT Swiss Competition. The tire is a Suomi Tyres studded winter tire, which I am running at 3 bar. It works really well in the snow and ice. The grip is really good and the bike has really been transformed. I have so much more confidence riding around in the ice and snow now compared to the stock tire. I have kept the original back tire. It does slip a bit on ice, but it's really not much of a problem. The biggest problem was the front tire sliding out on ice. I'm really happy with the 24in tire and I am thinking about lacing up the rear hub motor to a 24in rim as well.

A few pictures I took the other day. The temperature was -12C.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »