Author Topic: Tannus Armour tire insert for Radwagon 4  (Read 9709 times)

Boatinbear

• View Profile
Tannus Armour tire insert for Radwagon 4
« on: January 02, 2021, 05:12:19 AM »

I touched base with Tannus to see if they plan on offering a new tire insert size for the Radwagon 4.   I was pleased to hear that they are working with Rad on this right now.   I was also pleased to hear that they have a size that will work today.   It requires a different size tube but you can find that size on Amazon.   The reply to my email is below.   Here is a link to that product he is talking about.  Sounds like Rad might offer this direct in a few months
https://tannusamerica.com/collections/mountain/products/tannus-armour?variant=15335268483107

BTW I did inquire that he was indeed talking about the new 22" x 3" tires and not the previous 24" size.   He did confirm that he is talking about the new 22" tires

---------------email reply-----------------------
We are actually working with Rad Power Bikes on this size right now.  We have a 24x1.95-2.5 that fits perfectly in this size. You will need to buy a new tube 22x1.75-2.3 should work fine for your needs (we don't sell this size on our site but you can get it on Amazon). Please let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best!

Dave Ballard
Tannus America
dave@tannusamerica.com
www.RideTannus.com

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tannus Armour tire insert for Radwagon 4
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »
Well that's pretty interesting since that can solve the issue of having the buy the tubes from Rad if you are using the Tannus liners. I have a few sets of Tannus Armor en route to check out and will let everyone know what I think.

redw1234

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2021, 04:14:30 AM »
Any updates on how this insert is going? I’m also going from a mountain bike to the RW4 and feel pretty leery about taking it on the gravel paths and easy trails that would make my family riding life more fun!

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2021, 02:31:04 PM »

I touched base with Tannus to see if they plan on offering a new tire insert size for the Radwagon 4.   I was pleased to hear that they are working with Rad on this right now.   I was also pleased to hear that they have a size that will work today.   It requires a different size tube but you can find that size on Amazon.   The reply to my email is below.   Here is a link to that product he is talking about.  Sounds like Rad might offer this direct in a few months
https://tannusamerica.com/collections/mountain/products/tannus-armour?variant=15335268483107

BTW I did inquire that he was indeed talking about the new 22" x 3" tires and not the previous 24" size.   He did confirm that he is talking about the new 22" tires

---------------email reply-----------------------
We are actually working with Rad Power Bikes on this size right now.  We have a 24x1.95-2.5 that fits perfectly in this size. You will need to buy a new tube 22x1.75-2.3 should work fine for your needs (we don't sell this size on our site but you can get it on Amazon). Please let me know if you have any other questions.

All the best!

Dave Ballard
Tannus America
dave@tannusamerica.com
www.RideTannus.com

I'm very intrigued by this information.  I'll wait until they are an OEM part...
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

rigertoflip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 03:55:06 PM »
I posted this somewhere else on the forum but thought I'd share it here just in case people were reading this thread still.

The Tannus kit for the RW4 comes as a 24" kit with instructions to cut it. My local bike shop said with a little extra effort they were able to use it as is and it fit just fine, no cutting required.

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 07:52:40 AM »
I posted this somewhere else on the forum but thought I'd share it here just in case people were reading this thread still.

The Tannus kit for the RW4 comes as a 24" kit with instructions to cut it. My local bike shop said with a little extra effort they were able to use it as is and it fit just fine, no cutting required.
How has it been so far? Any changes to the ride comfort with this installed, for better or worse?

samtimtom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 10:33:48 AM »
Hi all.  First flat yesterday at mile 70 or so.  Tubes are backordered as usual.  Looking at the Tannus Armour bundle.  Has anyone sourced this from somewhere other than directly from Rad?  Any alternatives?  Pricing seems high, but cannot find anything else on my own with an hour of searching this morning.  Thanks!

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 11:40:38 AM »
Hi all.  First flat yesterday at mile 70 or so.  Tubes are backordered as usual.  Looking at the Tannus Armour bundle.  Has anyone sourced this from somewhere other than directly from Rad?  Any alternatives?  Pricing seems high, but cannot find anything else on my own with an hour of searching this morning.  Thanks!
I find it questionable of Rad to sell a bike knowing well enough that the most common replacement part is currently not available. Having that more custom kind of tyre size was one of the main points of criticism from the get-go for the wagon…

samtimtom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 02:37:31 PM »
Just ordered 24" Tannus inserts directly from the Tannus website and was able to find 22 x 2.1" tubes online as well.  Combined total is $100 with shipping rather than $143 through Rad Power.  Should all arrive in a couple days. 

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 02:45:57 PM »
Just ordered 24" Tannus inserts directly from the Tannus website and was able to find 22 x 2.1" tubes online as well.  Combined total is $100 with shipping rather than $143 through Rad Power.  Should all arrive in a couple days.
Please share your experience with the install and how the ride changes afterwards.

samtimtom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
Update...the 24" Tannus Armour and 22" tubes shipped quickly and I was able to install on the rear wheel late last week.  All is well after a few rides, even with a full sized passenger on the back.  I don't notice a difference in ride quality, unless maybe slightly more cushion.  The rear tire is inflated to about 40PSI.  I'll eventually do the front tire, as well, but I had just filled that full-sized tube with slime so may I'll leave it as-is until I have an issue and then install the armour and smaller tube.  Here's what I purchased:

https://tannusamerica.com/products/armour-tube-bundle?variant=31991227285615  (24" with no tubes)

https://www.danscomp.com/s-m-22-inner-tube-schrader-2.1-2.4-05-tube-22/p-5uqvs2wqbcaxqage?v=1225413

Total cost delivered is about $100 vs. $165 from Rad. 

Installation wasn't too bad, just make sure the wheel is well supported and don't damage the disk rotor. 

Cheers!
Sam

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 02:02:17 PM »
Tannus also made a video on their end:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TUxVPekhkw

Sam, thanks for sharing your experience!

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 04:44:26 AM »
Installed the Tannus kit on my RW4 yesterday as well. Will give it a more thorough test ride today to see how it goes. No major differences in ride quality on my short ride yesterday.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 02:46:43 PM »
I find it questionable of Rad to sell a bike knowing well enough that the most common replacement part is currently not available. Having that more custom kind of tyre size was one of the main points of criticism from the get-go for the wagon…

I wonder why Rad decided to go with a 22 inch size.  Why not 20 inch which is much more common and it would help Rad too to have to stock fewer parts - like at least fewer tires and tubes.

ericwn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 05:20:37 AM »
Had a flat in the middle of the new tire after just two days riding with Tannus. I couldn?t locate a puncture hole in the tire or the Tannus so I suspect the tube was just low quality to begin with.

Any recommendation for a good 22 x 1.75 tube? Luckily my flat was in the front tire as changing the rear with a mounted Conestoga is a bit tricky.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 05:20:37 AM »