News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

cable lube

Started by handlebar, April 02, 2021, 08:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

handlebar

Until I was 49, I had nothing but bikes and motorcycles. IIRC, I used machine oil for cables.

I unboxed my new Radrunner three months ago. Right off the bat, it creaked when I squeezed the rear brake lever. It seemed to be coming from the lever pivot. Apparently it's coming from inside the cable a near the brake, where the cable takes a sharp bend. It seems the steel cable transmits the sound and vibration to the lever on the handlebar.

Nowadays, there seem to be lots of lubes just for bike cables. This cable is mounted differently from anything I've seen before. At the back end, the housing points somewhat upward, with no rubber boot or other protection.

I figured that without a boot, an oily cable would pull dirt into the housing each time I squeezed the lever. I tried silicone spray. It made no difference.

Do modern bike cables need lubrication? What's wrong with machine oil? Is there a way to protect the housing end with a boot? Is this a common Radrunner problem? Can it be fixed by rerouting the brake cable?