News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Mission chain noise

Started by Kingricky, October 31, 2022, 02:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Kingricky

Does anyone know of a way to adjust chain on Rad mission.  I just bought one and the chain does not seem to be aligned for smooth pedaling.  Thanks

handlebar

Quote from: Kingricky on October 31, 2022, 02:53:24 PM
Does anyone know of a way to adjust chain on Rad mission.  I just bought one and the chain does not seem to be aligned for smooth pedaling.  Thanks

I haven't had trouble with my Radmission, but I did have trouble with my Radrunner. With the back wheel off the ground, I turned the pedal advance the chain a foot or so. Then I looked at the top of the big sprocket. The teeth were centered in the holes in the chain, so I knew the chain and sprocket were aligned as it came from the rear sprocket.

I advanced the chain a little more and looked at the back of the rear sprocket. The teeth were against one side of the holes in the chain, so I knew the chain wasn't quite aligned as it came from the tensioner to the sprocket. I used washers to center the tensioner better.

The usual small chain noise went away, but that wasn't the problem. As I pedaled, sometimes the side of a link would climb onto a tooth on the front sprocket, then slide back off, causing a small jump. The chain was loose enough that when a pedal was at top dead center and for an instant it wasn't pulling on the chain, the chain could swing to the side. A newer tensioner stopped that by maintaining more tension.

With the new tensioner, the chain again made a little noise as its sides rubbed the teeth of the rear sprocket. The new tensioner couldn't be centered with washers, so I lived with it.

Kingricky

Thanks I will try to narrow down the noise.  With only one gear not sure I can make many adjustments!

Eric7

I am not a blind Rad follower and I am not related to the bicycle business in any way.  And, I feel you should definitely try to get what you can get if there is a legitimate warranty issue.

I found my chain/derailleur noise went away after 300 miles and after the cables have become loose, and a after I had to readjust the brakes/derailleur.

So in addition to what other's have suggest and pursuing other avenues - I suggest you keep riding as long as the noise is not indicating your bike is grinding itself apart.