News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Deciding between New RadCity 5 Plus or Radmini (both Stepthru)

Started by Joe R, October 09, 2021, 11:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Joe R

Need opinions. I'm 5'5" with around 27.5" inseam. On paper, both bikes should fit me. I thought the mini might be better since I would go off pavement now and then but the handlebars look like they may be a bit high with the seat down low where I would need it. Anyone around my size that has either of these bikes that can give any advice?

JimL

For my 5'2" wife, I shortened the bottom end of the inner "tube" of the handlebar mount and eliminated the screw in the upper slot.  Then I rotated the handlebars back and repositioned all the levers and screen, and such.  The grips can be rotated by grabbing with both hands and twisting slowly. 
This got her down to a useful height.  These are sit-up bikes, and you don't need to lean forward to pedal and climb hills.  All you shorter folks have the advantage with electric power....it goes up hills better (than us taller, heavier folks.) 

I am really happy with the Mini ST and have over 1700 miles on mine (of which 1000 miles of it is on local mountain bike trails).

We use Wingman bar end mirrors, which just pop out of the rubber socket if you crash (me), or bang them around when folding and loading.  For trail use, wrap a couple turns of black electrical tape around the plastic ball end, so that they will not constantly jiggle out of place.  We have some pretty fast Mountain bike and e-Mountain bike riders on the trails, and so I watch the mirror to get out of their way.

I did break off the little aluminum loop under the frame (used to support the bike when folded).  I made a piece of heavy wall ABS pipe into a little stand that mounts with a single bolt, on the occasion I need to fold the bikes to carry inside the back of my Jeep (Wrangler 4-door).  That little loop bends or breaks pretty easy when powering over rocks or small logs.  You can make a simple mount that goes onto the big frame tube with a large hose clamp.

The Mini cannot be ridden as fast and comfortable as a Rover (off road), but it sure does climb well with the 20" wheel size.  I ride slow enough to enjoy the scenery and it really works well.  I ride with folks on Rovers, and the climbs are easier for me (despite my 75+ years and some old damage from a Viet Cong rocket).

I think my Mini ST is really good entertainment for the money, especially for those of us who should not be trying to ride too fast, off-road. 

JimInPT

I'm 5'7" with a pretty short 29" inseam and the Mini Step-Thru fits me perfectly.  My seat and bars are raised off the lowest settings, so I think they'd fit you fine if set lower.  The lower CG also helps with the twisty trails around here as well, plus I really don't think the City's larger frame, wheels or tires are designed for anything but pavement.

Save yourself a few hundred dollars and get the MiniST; you'll be happy with it, especially at the newly-reduced price.  I wish I'd had that deal, but really like the bike anyway.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.