Author Topic: Radwagon weight limit  (Read 2004 times)

pdqwrx

• View Profile
Radwagon weight limit
« on: September 04, 2021, 11:46:37 PM »
Hello, anyone here exceeding the weight limit on the Rad Wagon? I am looking to buy one and am a big guy and have stuff to carry. There will be times when I will exceed the 350 lbs. I will be on mostly flat ground but I am not sure what the weak link might be? The geared hub, the wheels, the frame... etc? Anyone have any practical experiences?

I am willing to do a little re-engineering if I need to but am hoping to find out in advance what might break first.

Thanks in advance

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
Re: Radwagon weight limit
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 08:28:56 PM »
These guys did a fine job of building the RPW4 frames!  It has all quality TIG welded frames. I'm not a ME or CE but I have a background in Manufacturing Technology.  You'd be best to probably just call RPB's to start. 

They know the "intended" loads the frames were designed to.  Designed loads and possible loads are usually far apart. You have to know wall thickness and weld penetration specifics to do a full engineering evaluation.  The angles and tube OD's you can do. Most 3D design & modeling software includes some type of load analysis.

The ID's require some designer-specific engineering knowledge unless you have an x-ray or ultrasound device able to take those measurements. 

A Sawzall could give you quick ID's, on the tubes, but much poorer bicycle performance!  (kind of...LOL)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 08:32:19 PM by Joel52334 »
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

MN_Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:51:10 PM »
My wife and I are just a touch under 350lb combined and ride together all the time. With all of the accessories we have on the bike, when we're on it together we're almost certainly a bit over 350lb. We also often tow a trailer with our daughter and/or dog.

Out of the ~1,100 miles we have on the bike, I'd say ~400 miles have been with both of us on the bike at about 350-370lb depending on what we had with us, and then out of that ~200 miles were with the same weight on the bike plus towing another 40-100lb with the trailer.

No issues other than having to adjust the brakes pretty often, and of course the acceleration is a whole lot less than when I'm riding alone! We recently bought and installed the Juin M1 hydraulic caliper conversion kit, and would 100% recommend it. Makes a huge difference when we are fully loaded.

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 04:43:09 PM »
Either the motor or the spokes.  You have to divide the force by the number of spokes in "ground contact" at a time, by the positive force of the weight put on them across their diameter and their flexation.

Hello, anyone here exceeding the weight limit on the Rad Wagon? I am looking to buy one and am a big guy and have stuff to carry. There will be times when I will exceed the 350 lbs. I will be on mostly flat ground but I am not sure what the weak link might be? The geared hub, the wheels, the frame... etc? Anyone have any practical experiences?

I am willing to do a little re-engineering if I need to but am hoping to find out in advance what might break first.

Thanks in advance
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 04:43:09 PM »