News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Tires for Radrover 5 suggestions

Started by santacruzpaul, September 04, 2021, 10:14:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

santacruzpaul

Am in the market for a new set of tires for my Radrover, Any suggestions besides the stock Kenda's? I am an old guy, and can't change a flat, So looking for something super puncture resistant for on and off road. Thanks in advance, Paul

santacruzpaul

Has anyone needed new tires for their Radrover yet? I need a set soon, Advise is much appreciated,

mjk12

I have over 1100 miles on my RRST, so I went and ordered tires to have ready.  I got the Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26x4.0 from an Ebay post.  I don't have them mounted yet, but I have read alot of good reviews about them.  My previous ebike had the Schwalbe Fat Franks and I thought they were great tires.

crorris

I have about 700 miles on my RadRover 5. It's all on paved surfaces and the the original tires are starting to wear. So, I purchased a set of Origin8 Supercell Tires 26x4.0 Black 30 TPI to have ready. These are totally different than the original tires. They are more of a street tire. All the feedback and reviews I found for them were pretty good and most people say they are significantly quieter. I haven't installed them yet. I purchased them from Bell's Bike Shop on Google Shopping (Bell's Bike Shop is also on Ebay). Shipping was free. It cost me $133.50 for the pair.

As a side note, I also have the Tannus Armour inserts installed currently. I purchased these from Rad directly because they happened to be in stock and were pretty much the same price. I plan on using them with the Origin8 tires too when I swap them. If you're concerned about getting a flat, I would recommend these. I would recommend getting them to install with your new tires, that way you only have to take the wheels off once to install both.

santacruzpaul

Thank you soo much for the input all,  Below link is one of my considerations, Any Thoughts?

https://amzn.to/3hpNWXo

crorris

Those look like they might be alright. The reviews on Amazon for them look good. They seem to be a little higher cost than many of the other options out there. How long did your original ones that came on the bike last? The original Kenda Juggernauts from Rad are only $49 each. I think if I was going to go with a knobby tread pattern again, I might just get the Kenda's again from Rad.

santacruzpaul

Just turned 1000 miles, Will probably need a rear tire in another few hundred or so miles, I was looking for a super tough puncture resistant tire and tube, Without the tire noise of the Kenda's. I do about 60% street and 40% light off road and trail.
I should also mention I have never had a flat yet, I am always watching the road for obstacles. I am an older guy, And can't repair a flat by myself.

santacruzpaul

Thanks for the knowledge all, Please chime in if you can educate me any more on getting tires,
Have a great weekend, Paul
PS. Santa Cruz, Ca. is going to be a Zoo this weekend with the triathlon going on, Glad I have the Radrover to get around. Looks like gridlock till early afternoon.

crorris

I love the ammo boxes! Great idea!

I noticed your seat too. How do you like it?

JimInPT

Quote from: crorris on September 13, 2021, 06:29:15 AM

I can vouch for the Cloud 9 brand; very nicely designed and well-made seats.  However, they have quite a few models and they fit differently, so the process is sort of like trying on shoes.  After 5 different seats and 2 of the C-9 brand (my first try was this one: https://amzn.to/3Gpa4fd), I ended up with this one:  https://amzn.to/3vZsZc5 

Not crazy about the overly-long nose (although I'm used to it now), but it's more comfortable than the first C-9 I tried and the difference is the wider width and flatter top surface.  Great seat, but might not be the right fit for you.  Many people seem to like the Bikeroo seats; it didn't fit well for me, but it's also a well-made product.  Fortunately, Amazon is good about accepting returns.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

santacruzpaul

I love the ammo boxes! Great idea!

The OD Green ammo cans match the color of the Radrover, I use one for my game camera's, and the other holds 3 beers wrapped in frozen ice packs. I do some wildlife photography, and they come in handy, I also have another larger set up that fits the large platform, The other single ammo box measures about 20"X12"X6" high.
I have 3 saddles, The pictured Cloud 9 gell is a good choice, I also have the Bikeroo, And it works well also, Just be sure to get the seat with real springs, They are more shock absorbing for me, I weigh 220.

Forgot to mention, One needs stick on velcro for the handles on the ammo cans so they don't flop around.

santacruzpaul

Quote from: JimInPT on September 13, 2021, 07:49:21 AM

I can vouch for the Cloud 9 brand; very nicely designed and well-made seats.  However, they have quite a few models and they fit differently, so the process is sort of like trying on shoes.  After 5 different seats and 2 of the C-9 brand (my first try was this one: https://amzn.to/3Gpa4fd), I ended up with this one:  https://amzn.to/3vZsZc5 

Not crazy about the overly-long nose (although I'm used to it now), but it's more comfortable than the first C-9 I tried and the difference is the wider width and flatter top surface.  Great seat, but might not be the right fit for you.  Many people seem to like the Bikeroo seats; it didn't fit well for me, but it's also a well-made product.  Fortunately, Amazon is good about accepting returns.

Totally agree, Picking a saddle is like trying on shoes, One feature that I need is the real springs,  Tried the no real spring model once and it was not kind to my back, I should probably get seat post suspension.

JimInPT

Quote from: santacruzpaul on September 13, 2021, 10:05:26 AMTotally agree, Picking a saddle is like trying on shoes, One feature that I need is the real springs,  Tried the no real spring model once and it was not kind to my back, I should probably get seat post suspension.

I combined my C-9 with a Redshift ShockStopper - an amazing suspension post, but not inexpensive.  I got about 15-20% off directly from their site with a first-time-buyer discount code, but just recently Amazon put them on sale for about the same discounted price for exactly one day.  So if you're not in a hurry, you don't have to pay full price by keeping an eye on it.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

santacruzpaul

Quote from: JimInPT on September 16, 2021, 10:37:07 AM
Quote from: santacruzpaul on September 13, 2021, 10:05:26 AMTotally agree, Picking a saddle is like trying on shoes, One feature that I need is the real springs,  Tried the no real spring model once and it was not kind to my back, I should probably get seat post suspension.

I combined my C-9 with a Redshift ShockStopper - an amazing suspension post, but not inexpensive.  I got about 15-20% off directly from their site with a first-time-buyer discount code, but just recently Amazon put them on sale for about the same discounted price for exactly one day.  So if you're not in a hurry, you don't have to pay full price by keeping an eye on it.

Looking into it, Thanks jiminpt

santacruzpaul

Quote from: santacruzpaul on September 04, 2021, 10:14:18 AM
Am in the market for a new set of tires for my Radrover, Any suggestions besides the stock Kenda's? I am an old guy, and can't change a flat, So looking for something super puncture resistant for on and off road. Thanks in advance, Paul

Got the new tires for the Radrover installed with new tubes, They are origin 8 supercell 26x4. Real grippy tires, Smooth and Quiet ride, And less rolling resistance, All as expected, Tires also do well on loose dirt and gravel trails too.  I did feel some self steer as others have, But went from 17 to 22 in air pressure and it seems gone, I have also read that self steer goes away after about 25 miles of break in,
For the record I am 6'1" 218 lbs. and the stock rear Kenda tire lasted 1500 miles before wearing out, The front is still in good shape and am keeping it as a spare, or to give  away.  Forgot to mention, Had to replace front brakes also at 1500 miles, The rears are still good, I went with the ceramic Tektro's.