News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Anyone had a flat with Tannus Armor, and still able to ride home?

Started by R92024, August 31, 2021, 11:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

R92024

Just bought a Rad Mini 4. Loving it, apart from a puncture on the very first ride! An inch long screw.
Just installed the Tannus Armor inserts.
I'm really not interested in fixing flats at the side of the road (or anywhere, for that matter!).
So if I get a flat, ideally I'd like to ride home and deal with it there.
The Tannus website says:

"In the unlikely event you do get a flat tire, you can still ride for a limited period of time."
* Excludes fat tires."

Anyone had a flat and rode on the Tannus (maximum for me would be about 10 miles)?

I've also seen people use Flat Out with the Tannus Armor... would that give even more protection?

Many thanks!

Jman

It says it excludes fat tires.  I seriously doubt the liner would hold up with the weight of the bike and rider on it for any length of time.

R92024

Quote from: Jman on August 31, 2021, 02:39:20 PM
It says it excludes fat tires.  I seriously doubt the liner would hold up with the weight of the bike and rider on it for any length of time.
Thanks. Yes, I know that's the official Tannus company line, excluding fat tires.
I'm wondering whether anyone has been in a jam and tried riding on the Tannus after a flat.

chrisbklyn

I have the Tannus Armor for my Radrunner plus and have gotten two flats by 3" nails and you definatley cant ride it. You can barely walk it with no air in the tires. I had a friend come pick me up and put the bike in the car. However I have a little over 1100 miles on the bike and the Tannus Armor has definitely saved me from getting few flats.

reppac

I managed about two miles on my RadRover 5. This was on a bike path in a wildlife refuge. I don't think it would have held up once I got out to the hard road.

R92024

Quote from: reppac on September 14, 2021, 04:49:45 AM
I managed about two miles on my RadRover 5. This was on a bike path in a wildlife refuge. I don't think it would have held up once I got out to the hard road.
Thanks... good to know.
I'm tempted to add FlatOut as well as the Tannus Armor.
If the two combined gives the best protection possible, I think it's worth the extra $20 for peace of mind!
Waddya think?

R92024

Quote from: chrisbklyn on September 12, 2021, 03:48:41 AM
I have the Tannus Armor for my Radrunner plus and have gotten two flats by 3" nails and you definatley cant ride it. You can barely walk it with no air in the tires. I had a friend come pick me up and put the bike in the car. However I have a little over 1100 miles on the bike and the Tannus Armor has definitely saved me from getting few flats.
Thanks... good to know.
I'm tempted to add FlatOut as well as the Tannus Armor.
If the two combined gives the best protection possible, I think it's worth the extra $20 for peace of mind!
Waddya think?

Altema

I have a RadMini with the Tannus Armor. The tube blew out due to a defect, but I could not ride it because the tire came loose from the rim and the rim would have contacted the pavement.