News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad City ST 3 or a Mini ST

Started by Robws!, April 04, 2022, 09:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Robws!

Considering both of these. I live on the outskirts of St. John's, Newfoundland. My commute to work is 14 kms each way. Mostly downhill going in, hilly on the return trip. 3/4 of the commute is on hard-packed gravel trails (formerly railway beds). The City ST 3 has a lot of the features I want and is discounted. I called Rad (Vancouver) they said both models are in stock. I don't "need" a folding bike but would appreciate the convenience this affords. And it ticks a lot of boxes. Any advice?

SemperVee

I have both City  and prefer the Mini for all around riding and the folding capability.  Did not expect it to be so but it is.
5 10 and 215 lbs.   

Robws!

That's helpful. What makes you prefer the Mini more?

SemperVee

Just seems to fit me better and the smaller wheels by virtue of size make more torque going up hills.   The City is good for flats and distance is easier as they are 26 inch versus 20 inch wheels.    There is no bad choice here.   Many people own both kinds surprisingly.

john in Idaho

I have both.  the mini is like driving a CJ-5 and the City is like my full size pickup. both fine, each different.  jLarger wheels seem to be less "grabby".

NaturallyRC

Can't comment on the City (I'm sure it's great) but compared to my full-size pedal bikes, the Mini is just a total hoot to tool around on. An ideal grocery-getter, the Mini ST has that super-low CG allowing you to pile things on the rear rack and not notice any balance issues. Plus, the rider is less likely to be blown into the rhubarb by crosswinds whipping in off the North Atlantic or (in my case) Lake Ontario. With 20 inch tires, I am less concerned about wiping out in slippery conditions (like snow). I let the back end fish like a baby motocrosser. Lastly, don't be thinking the Mini isn't a real bike. I'm a hard-core cyclist, proud to be spotted zipping around town and forest on the Mini. The only red flag for me would be the hills around St John's. Rad bikes are heavy, and if you're not willing to help out with the pedals, you can find yourself slowing to a snail's pace. If your legs are decent, gear down and it's all good. Cheers eh. Edit: 5'9" 170lbs.

Robws!

Quote from: NaturallyRC on April 07, 2022, 12:01:54 PM
Can't comment on the City (I'm sure it's great) but compared to my full-size pedal bikes, the Mini is just a total hoot to tool around on. An ideal grocery-getter, the Mini ST has that super-low CG allowing you to pile things on the rear rack and not notice any balance issues. Plus, the rider is less likely to be blown into the rhubarb by crosswinds whipping in off the North Atlantic or (in my case) Lake Ontario. With 20 inch tires, I am less concerned about wiping out in slippery conditions (like snow). I let the back end fish like a baby motocrosser. Lastly, don't be thinking the Mini isn't a real bike. I'm a hard-core cyclist, proud to be spotted zipping around town and forest on the Mini. The only red flag for me would be the hills around St John's. Rad bikes are heavy, and if you're not willing to help out with the pedals, you can find yourself slowing to a snail's pace. If your legs are decent, gear down and it's all good. Cheers eh. Edit: 5'9" 170lbs.

Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated! In the end, I found a gently used RR ST1 with only 7kms on it! The seller is 5'1" - she found it much too big. It's less than a year old and like new. Saved a bit of money.

With regard to the hills in St. John's you're absolutely right. I am used to riding my regular non-EV fat bike downtown and back, using only my legs. So I imagine the RR will make my little adventures easier. I expect to share the load.

I hadn't mentioned the RR ST as an option because up until two days ago, I didn't know someone was selling one locally. Once I saw it, I knew it was the right bike for me. I think I'll end up buying a second Rad, for my wife or one of my kids. If the Minis are still available, I think that's what I'll go for.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

NaturallyRC

He shoots, he scores! I was talking to a RR owner at Sobeys the other day and he loves it. He and I were both in parkas and boots, which we could never see ourselves doing on an MTB. Ebikes make it comfortable/convenient to ride in "less than perfect" weather -- bonus for a family like yours, out on the rock. Keep us updated on your ongoing acquisitions and adventures eh?

Quote from: Robws! on April 07, 2022, 06:23:23 PM
Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated! In the end, I found a gently used RR ST1 with only 7kms on it! The seller is 5'1" - she found it much too big. It's less than a year old and like new. Saved a bit of money.

With regard to the hills in St. John's you're absolutely right. I am used to riding my regular non-EV fat bike downtown and back, using only my legs. So I imagine the RR will make my little adventures easier. I expect to share the load.

I hadn't mentioned the RR ST as an option because up until two days ago, I didn't know someone was selling one locally. Once I saw it, I knew it was the right bike for me. I think I'll end up buying a second Rad, for my wife or one of my kids. If the Minis are still available, I think that's what I'll go for.

Thanks everyone for chiming in.

JimInPT

Just a little nudge for clarification: "RR" could mean Rad Rover, Runner or Rhino; sometimes it's hard to tell which is being discussed and they're sorta different from each other.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

NaturallyRC

Excellent point! I, for one, will be specific going forward.

Quote from: JimInPT on April 09, 2022, 06:58:04 AM
Just a little nudge for clarification: "RR" could mean Rad Rover, Runner or Rhino; sometimes it's hard to tell which is being discussed and they're sorta different from each other.

rjp

I would think the rad mini wood be the better choice over the rad city because of the type of motor it has. The geared hub motor over the direct drive motor. the geared hub motor is more powerful on hills and that's what the RR has also.