Author Topic: RadMini4 - 40 kmh doesn't change max  (Read 3716 times)

Mike Cook

• View Profile
RadMini4 - 40 kmh doesn't change max
« on: August 15, 2021, 08:05:57 PM »
New owner if a RadMini4... I see all these tips and tricks, YouTube videos, showing to change the limiter from 32 to 40 kmh.  I did that, it saves the setting, but the speed still maxes out at 20 mph, which should be closer to 25 mph with a 40kmh limit. 

By any chance did they fix it so that the limiter sticks with the 20mph max? Or what else could be going on here?

RadJohn

• View Profile
Re: RadMini4 - 40 kmh doesn't change max
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 09:55:19 PM »
It hasn't worked for over a year, Rad changed something, probably because US Federal regulations limit Class 1 & 2 Ebike speed to 20 MPH and their lawyers got nervous. They're always changing things, like tires or eliminating the 22 inch wheel size setting recently.

If you try to cheat by entering a different wheel size it will mess up your odometer but it won't change the top speed because the revolution counter pulse from the rear wheel apparently splits into two different paths, one to the Display odometer function which is affected by changing wheel size, and the other to some form of electronic top speed limiter which is no longer affected by changing the Max speed display setting (hardware or firmware change).

Many YouTube tutorials are out of date (check when they were posted), or people with old and different bikes make new posts without knowing your bike may be significantly different.

Mike Cook

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 06:56:02 AM »
It hasn't worked for over a year, Rad changed something, probably because US Federal regulations limit Class 1 & 2 Ebike speed to 20 MPH and their lawyers got nervous. They're always changing things, like tires or eliminating the 22 inch wheel size setting recently.

If you try to cheat by entering a different wheel size it will mess up your odometer but it won't change the top speed because the revolution counter pulse from the rear wheel apparently splits into two different paths, one to the Display odometer function which is affected by changing wheel size, and the other to some form of electronic top speed limiter which is no longer affected by changing the Max speed display setting (hardware or firmware change).

Many YouTube tutorials are out of date (check when they were posted), or people with old and different bikes make new posts without knowing your bike may be significantly different.

Thanks for the reply, it's pretty much what I suspected, unfortunately. 
I was also looking at the Lectric XP 2.0 before making this purchase.  It has option to change top speed to 28mph, then peel off the Class 2 sticker on frame to reveal the Class 3 sticker underneath.  Would be nice for that option here, seems like it would release their liability, but I'm no lawyer. 

RadJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 06:49:17 PM »
The problem with the peel-off sticker approach is whether or not it's reversible in the eyes of the law. I live in a a part  of my state where Class 3 Ebikes are technically illegal (but most local bike shops sell them), and only Class 1 & 2 Ebikes are legal anywhere on the state trail system. My states laws are a mess: Class 3 Ebikes can only be ridden in cities with a population of one million or more and NO Ebike (Class 1, 2 or 3) can be ridden on any street with a speed limit of 30 MPH or more (but analog bikes can), go figure. So technically I can't legally ride my Mini off the edge of my property, have to load it in/on the car and take it to a trail or street with a 25 MPH MMax speed limit. It's quite discouraging at times.

Another thing that confuses me is that some Rad Mission owners appear to be reporting that the speed override thing works on that model, which wasn't even released until after it was disabled on our Minis, sometime around mid 2020.

Fortunately enforcement on technicalities has been lax in the part of the state where I live, but it will only take one crusading Dudley Do-Right to completely ruin a trip someday. 

RandyS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 07:42:49 PM »
Here's another data point. Our Minis were shipped in August 2020 after some delay, and I was able to increase the maximum speed on the menu and have it work and stick...

earlpoochie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 12:52:41 PM »
Ah man, my Mini is on the way and I was hoping to bump it to 25 mph in the settings.  Too bad.  I'm sure 20 mph will be fine for a year until the warranty runs out, then we'll change out that controller.  Dangit.

UPDATE:  I received my Mini yesterday and changed the speed setting to 25.  I was still getting motor assistance up until about 22 mph on a smooth, flat surface.  I was also able to do throttle-only up to about 22 mph. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 06:47:54 AM by earlpoochie »

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 10:54:36 AM »
UPDATE:  I received my Mini yesterday and changed the speed setting to 25.  I was still getting motor assistance up until about 22 mph on a smooth, flat surface.  I was also able to do throttle-only up to about 22 mph.

Thanks for that; good to know a newly-shipped Mini was still upgradeable.  I get 22-23 as well with mine, but I'm not a little guy so that's probably a factor.

I seem to recall that throttle-only performance is somewhat dependent on the pedal-assist setting even if not pedaling, but I'm not certain.  Need to test that out for myself someday.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

earlpoochie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 02:30:31 PM »

Thanks for that; good to know a newly-shipped Mini was still upgradeable.  I get 22-23 as well with mine, but I'm not a little guy so that's probably a factor.

I seem to recall that throttle-only performance is somewhat dependent on the pedal-assist setting even if not pedaling, but I'm not certain.  Need to test that out for myself someday.

Same - I run about 220 so a smaller person might be able to squeeze out a little more speed.  I did see 23 mph for a couple of brief seconds but I was definitely maxed out at that point.  It's good enough for me, this thing is a blast.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »
"I seem to recall that throttle-only performance is somewhat dependent on the pedal-assist setting even if not pedaling, but I'm not certain.  Need to test that out for myself someday."

I checked and found that there is no speed limit for the lower assist levels.  To prove it to yourself, put on the kick stand.  Tilt the bike so the rear wheel is no longer on the ground.  Use assist level 1 and crank the throttle.  The bike will easily reach 20 mph quickly - with the rear wheel spinning freely.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 11:10:50 AM by Eric7 »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 11:08:40 AM »