Author Topic: Saddle Bags  (Read 2278 times)

HDrider

• View Profile
Saddle Bags
« on: November 26, 2021, 07:25:53 PM »
 Any particular saddle bags that work best with the Mini? I ordered a Onway rear rack due to the ongoing out of stock issue with Rad themselves.

Windward

• View Profile
Re: Saddle Bags
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 05:55:43 PM »
I am also looking for recommendations. The rad branded pannier bags look undersized for a grocery run. Wondering if larger ortlieb bags would end too close to the ground or hook your heels when peddling.

HDrider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 04:35:43 AM »
 I'll touch back on this topic as I  started it. We ended up getting the Rockbros bag with panniers. We just got them and have not really used them much but at first glance I think it will serve our purpose. A different setup than what we have been used to over the last few years with what we had on our Pedego's but different does not mean better or worse.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 09:53:38 AM »

Locking storage quickly removable...  You could even put a HD sticker on it!!   LOL

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 01:08:44 PM »
Just sharing my experience.  Many panniers are smaller on the bottom than on top.  I don't think many of us has experience with this type of bag.  I did not.  During riding the contents will bounce around and go further and further down the bag (the funnel) until they are all tightly squeezed on the bottom.  Maybe this is good for camping.  But hardback books, paperback books, notebooks, phone, iPad, laptops, calculators, papers, work stuff, will all get scrunched and wrinkled. Book covers will get dented and dog-eared.  Clothing should be packed on top or they will be super wrinkled. I am not much of a camper anymore and I use the panniers mostly for work.  I would definitely get something with a square bottom like a grocery bag-type pannier to keep my laptop and papers from getting scrunched.

Panniers are like rock tumblers.  You put a bunch of stuff in and over the course of a ride they all tumble and shaken. Your keys will scratch up the camera exterior.  The phone will scratch the laptop etc.  The loose fork will scratch up your food containers.  The extra battery will scratch up your headlamp. Even a wrench or socket set, unless tightly packed, will come out looking well used.  Lots of people do it but be careful when packing to avoid this.  You will soon learn.

<edited to add info>
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 12:30:12 PM by Eric7 »

pehayes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »
I purchased the ToPeak rear bag with folded paniers.  Very pleased.  I had to do some custom mount construction work to get the quick-remove receiver attached to my RadMini rear rack.  Nice to have a quick detach rear bag to take into the store.  And then the sides fold out in seconds to carry huge amounts of cargo.

Patrick

Windward

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »
Just sharing my experience.  Many panniers are smaller on the bottom than on top.  I don't think many of us has experience with this type of bag.  I did not.  During riding the contents will bounce around and go furhter and further down the bag (the funnel) until they are all tightly squeezed on the bottom.  Maybe this is good for camping.  But hardback school books, phone, iPad, laptops, calculators, papers, work stuff, will all get scrunched and wrinkled.  I am not much of a camper anymore and I use the panniers mostly for work.  I would definitely get something with a square bottom like a grocery bag type pannier to keep my laptop and papers from getting scrunched.
Helpful perspective,. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2021, 06:25:03 PM »