Author Topic: Bike won’t turn on  (Read 3601 times)

cam.arroyo

• View Profile
Bike won’t turn on
« on: July 18, 2021, 03:33:43 PM »
Ok so long story short…got a Radcity step thru back in June, worked fantastic for a few weeks. One day it stopped turning on. I checked all the connections, replaced the battery fuses, nothing. I reached out to RadPower for a replacement wiring harness and controller. Installed the replacements today, and still nothing. I’m beyond frustrated with my experience so far and even took it to a bike shop for them to look at. Anyone have any ideas as to what it may be because I feel like I ran through the whole checklist?

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: Bike won’t turn on
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 11:01:15 AM »
When you changed out the harness and controller, did you also replace the display and/or switch on the handlebar?  I seem to recall the Rad City might have the same separate switch/display as my Mini - a failure in one of those might kill it, but I'm not a Rad repair expert.

Failing that, perhaps the key switch in the battery has failed?  That would be pretty easy to test if you know another Rad owner; just swap in their battery for a couple minutes and see what happens.

Just tossing out ideas for what I'd check next.  You may already be at the point where Rad should either send out one of their service vans (if they have them where you are) or authorize a repair by an e-bike shop under warranty.  If you've gone to the trouble of already replacing the controller and wiring harness, I think you've done more than could be expected of an enduser unless they insist on doing the fix themselves.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

cam.arroyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 03:29:52 PM »
I called them today and I was on hold for a bit while he was researching/checking with colleagues…they said it has to be the display since the power button is wired through there to get to the controller. An order was created to send a new display so hopefully will have that in a week if not sooner.

reppac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2021, 12:14:28 PM »
I'm having the same problem with my RadRover. It cut out on a ride and wouldn't power back up. Rad is sending me a new harness and controller but I have this sinking feeling that the problem may be the switch. Any one know of a way of testing the switch or display?
Thanks

reppac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
I've now replaced the main wiring harness and the controller. Bike will still not power up. RPB support wants to replace the battery. I'm thinking its a switch problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

reppac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 04:08:46 AM »
Just a followup to my 8/4 post.

After working with RPB support and replacing the main wiring harness, controller and the LCD screen switch combo the problem is resolved. As I suspected, the issue was in the switch/LCD combo and not the harness or controller. The local RPB authorized repair tech said that this is a common problem and has replaced "well over a hundred."

Anyway, its fixed and I'm back to riding!

MRiney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2021, 10:05:12 AM »
System only powers up after removing and reinstalling battery, each time.
Mode button is "touchy". It does not need to be held to turn on bike, just a quick press.

I had this problem in March 2021. Replacing the controller did not resolve it. Replacing the display and switch fixed the problem. Rad stood behind the warranty.

Today (August 26) the problem is back. I hope Rad will continue to honor their warranty.

I will update this thread with the resolution.

Disconnecting the switch / display allows the bike to power up - just like reseating the battery.

Question: What causes the battery or the cables to need to be reseated after every power off???
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:17:01 AM by MRiney »

deadbird8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 01:11:22 AM »
Just a followup to my 8/4 post.

After working with RPB support and replacing the main wiring harness, controller and the LCD screen switch combo the problem is resolved. As I suspected, the issue was in the switch/LCD combo and not the harness or controller. The local RPB authorized repair tech said that this is a common problem and has replaced "well over a hundred."

Anyway, its fixed and I'm back to riding!

Seems like rocks and clubs troubleshooting from RPB support- swapping components blindly. 

After reading more of these posts I may swap my wife's display/switch to see if it solves my Rad City lost power problem.  I really hate to risk her components if my harness is shorting or something.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 08:02:55 AM »
Same no start problem for me while out on a ride.  Called Cust svc discovered handlebar box was roblem - Ordered  part under warranty on 4 Sep - NOW 13 Sep and no part in hand yet!   Tracking number but not delivered to USPS reported...   Warranties are only as good as the company behind them..

deadbird8

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2021, 12:49:21 PM »
Same no start problem for me while out on a ride.  Called Cust svc discovered handlebar box was roblem - Ordered  part under warranty on 4 Sep - NOW 13 Sep and no part in hand yet!   Tracking number but not delivered to USPS reported...   Warranties are only as good as the company behind them..

Source of my power loss turned out to be the Display/Switch too (I cross connected in from my wife's bike).    I sent that to Cust Svc and just received this in reply:
"The display I'm sending is not the City display but it is compatible with your City and you should not see or feel any differences. The only difference you will find is in the settings, which will need to be adjusted. "  Said they will ship the part in 3-5 days and marked the ticket 'solved'.       Is not having the OEM display a good thing?   I am concerned - who tested/vetted that part?

DCH3416

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2021, 01:51:50 PM »

Source of my power loss turned out to be the Display/Switch too (I cross connected in from my wife's bike).    I sent that to Cust Svc and just received this in reply:
"The display I'm sending is not the City display but it is compatible with your City and you should not see or feel any differences. The only difference you will find is in the settings, which will need to be adjusted. "  Said they will ship the part in 3-5 days and marked the ticket 'solved'.       Is not having the OEM display a good thing?   I am concerned - who tested/vetted that part?

Sounds like they're sending you a display/button combo labelled for another model Rad. But the parts are compatible. You may have to change the tire size in the settings.

Acitta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2021, 01:11:18 PM »
I have the same problem with my RadCity ST3. Rad Power wants me to buy a new controller and wiring harness at CDN $199, but the wiring harness is out of stock. I don't want to spend that amount of money only to find out that it is the the switch that is bad.

DCH3416

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 08:38:18 PM »
I have the same problem with my RadCity ST3. Rad Power wants me to buy a new controller and wiring harness at CDN $199, but the wiring harness is out of stock. I don't want to spend that amount of money only to find out that it is the the switch that is bad.
You can ask to "start with" replacing the display. They quoted me for a harness and controller as well.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 08:38:18 PM »