Author Topic: Best bike lock for Mini st2?  (Read 4176 times)

Windward

• View Profile
Best bike lock for Mini st2?
« on: September 18, 2021, 05:55:51 AM »
Opinions on the convenience, usefulness and protection level for BORDO GRANIT X-Plus™ 6500 and other locks. If you have a st2, how/where do you mount your lock while riding?

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: Best bike lock for Mini st2?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:43:50 AM »
Below is a photo of how I mounted my Abus GRANIT XPlus 540 u-lock to my rear basket - it's the only place on the entire MiniST's unique frame that works (the ABUS cable is for occasional use around trees and the like).  I know the 6500 is a folding lock, but may have a mount included for attaching to a frame bar like mine. 

I think the 6500s are typically mounted to water-bottle stud locations like the ST's front downtube; you can also buy adapters to mount water bottles to the front-rack interface; I have one of these to hold two bottles and you could mount the 6500 to one side: https://amzn.to/2ZkSjwI

When I was researching locks, I found more than one video showing how to blow the 6500 apart at a folding joint (just like all the other folders), so I went with the u-lock design instead, and the 540 costs less as well.   It's certainly bulkier and heavier than the 6500, but in this location is completely out of the way yet easily accessible when needed. 

If you're not in a high-crime area, the folders are probably a great option.  I live in a peaceful little town in the woods, but my recovering-engineer OCD wouldn't let me get the 6500 I originally wanted after I saw it defeated with a little horsepower.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:03:15 AM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Windward

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 04:22:23 AM »
Thank you for your very helpful reply @JimInPT! The photo helps to understand how this all works. When you lockup your bike, do you have much trouble getting the frame of the bike and the bike rack bar all within the "U"? Do you have to take the battery off to successfully lockup your bike?

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 09:50:15 AM »
When you lockup your bike, do you have much trouble getting the frame of the bike and the bike rack bar all within the "U"? Do you have to take the battery off to successfully lockup your bike?

No trouble locking the bike's frame to bike racks and other things so far - there are several points on the frame that work well, depending on the height and shape of the rack, but I also bought the long version of the 540 (300 mm shackle) for exactly that reason, because e-bikes tend to be somewhat bulkier and heavier to position in place than standard bikes.  The extra shackle length makes that a lot easier and as you can see in the pic is about the same length as the rear basket, so it tucks right in.  But I do have to put the bike up next to the rack even so, although not touching.  I carry that cable for situations where it's not possible to use the U-lock directly, like with a tree or too great a distance from a rack.

As for taking off the battery, no, I never have to remove it to lock it up.  But what's not shown in that pic is a mod I made to add a separate small u-lock to help protect the battery itself (see pic below) - if you're not aware, you should know that all current-gen Rad batteries (except probably the new Rover 6) can be unlocked and removed with a blank, uncut key available easily on eBay.  I carry a blank on my keyring to show other Rad owners, because they find it very hard to believe.

The extra u-lock deters battery removal.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 11:35:43 AM by JimInPT »

Windward

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 12:25:59 PM »
The secondary battery lock is a great trick! Do you leave the lock in place while riding?

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 09:47:02 AM »
The secondary battery lock is a great trick! Do you leave the lock in place while riding?
Yep, in fact I never bother to remove it now; switched to charging the battery on the bike to keep it simple and easy.  The lock doesn't get in the way of anything and the extra weight is negligible, especially compared to all the other stuff I've hung on the bike, including my fat ass.

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 11:32:34 PM »
I kind of went overboard with security devices.  I probably have the only Ebike in my county.  "Is the Heaven?  No, it's Iowa!"  I wanted to have "a full package" a solution for many environments.  I have the ABUS 6500, the long reach U lock.  The 50# ABUS chain, the Abus Chain lock, brake disk locks.  I have the saddlebags, and you can mount stuff EVERYWHERE on an RW4.  I have most everything "mounted" but for the MEGA-CHAIN!  I'll take some closeup photos.  I'm accessory enriched!
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

Windward

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 04:37:17 AM »
Very helpful contributions in this thread. Thank you all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »
I put the Giant ABUS U lock on the side of the rack on my RW4.

Below is a photo of how I mounted my Abus GRANIT XPlus 540 u-lock to my rear basket - it's the only place on the entire MiniST's unique frame that works (the ABUS cable is for occasional use around trees and the like).  I know the 6500 is a folding lock, but may have a mount included for attaching to a frame bar like mine. 

I think the 6500s are typically mounted to water-bottle stud locations like the ST's front downtube; you can also buy adapters to mount water bottles to the front-rack interface; I have one of these to hold two bottles and you could mount the 6500 to one side: https://amzn.to/2ZkSjwI

When I was researching locks, I found more than one video showing how to blow the 6500 apart at a folding joint (just like all the other folders), so I went with the u-lock design instead, and the 540 costs less as well.   It's certainly bulkier and heavier than the 6500, but in this location is completely out of the way yet easily accessible when needed. 

If you're not in a high-crime area, the folders are probably a great option.  I live in a peaceful little town in the woods, but my recovering-engineer OCD wouldn't let me get the 6500 I originally wanted after I saw it defeated with a little horsepower.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 08:03:29 AM by Ryan »
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

jerrygno

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2022, 07:03:40 PM »
For the person who put the u lock over the battery, can you let us know what lock it is or its size? Its a great idea I want to try.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 08:01:26 PM »
For the person who put the u lock over the battery, can you let us know what lock it is or its size? Its a great idea I want to try.

Hi, that would be me.

Here's a link to a post I wrote up last summer going into detail about it.  Note that this specific arrangement might only fit the MiniST2 due to frame geometry.  Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=158.msg5317#msg5317

Cheers!

Windward

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 03:34:51 AM »
To Jim’s earlier point,an etsy seller is offering to sell extra keys that fit all rad power bike batteries.

www.etsy.com/listing/831758108

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 08:58:55 AM »
To Jim’s earlier point,an etsy seller is offering to sell extra keys that fit all rad power bike batteries.

www.etsy.com/listing/831758108

That's the right part, but a pretty-high price being asked.  Here's the key on eBay for less, with several other sellers as well:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254723401907

I couldn't find it locally at the hardware store, so I went to eBay last year and got it for about US$8 delivered - here's the part you're looking for; it's a Honda motorcycle blank:  X84 or HD74

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 08:58:55 AM »