News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

5 Pin display connector + 5 pin extender

Started by murbot, January 14, 2022, 06:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

murbot

Hi,
I'd like to extend the display cable for better routing. The 5 pin extensions I've tried don't fit with the Rad display...on either end. They seem close, but don't connect.

Is there a 5 pin extension that is compatible with Rad? Or am I looking at soldering?

Thanks

JimInPT

I haven't needed to buy this yet (planning on a controller upgrade in a few weeks, so doing my homework just in case) but I believe this one will work and it's not expensive:
https://amzn.to/3nwpbf7

Note that the page has several different types of cable to scroll through.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Radding Along

My apologies for questioning your bike assembly, but I have never heard of the cable being too short. Are you sure the handlebar wasn't wrongly twisted one full rotation and then bolted up to the steering stem?

I have read about this happening before. And  when it does happen, all the cables appear to be too tight.

If you are unsure if that could be the case. Remove the handlebar assembly and turn the handlebars in different directions to see if one direction or the other makes the cable length less taunt. I suspect that could be the case here.

You didn't name the bike in question, but as a general statement, you want to be sure the various cables attached to the handlebars come straight up from the frame area. If the handlebars are twisted during installation, the cables could cross to the opposite side of the frame before heading up to the controls.

Performing a visual inspection of the cables won't help you. The cables may appear to look ok, but still be twisted. You really need to take everything off and start over.

Lastly, I don't think this pertains to you, but for those that are reading this and are having the same problem with the wagon. Keep in mind during assembly at your home,  the wagon's fork will fall out when you unbolt the top of the steering tube if you haven't set the fork down on the ground. This can really create havoc with cable routing after putting it back together.

Radding Along

By the way, if you paid Rad to build your bike, or paid an independent bike shop to perform the service for you, I suspect this may constitute a warranty claim if you bought the bike less than a year ago. In other words, if you didn't build the bike, take your bike back to whoever built it and ask them why your cable is too short. Let them fix the handlebar installation issue.

reggy

Quote from: JimInPT on January 14, 2022, 02:14:21 PM
I haven't needed to buy this yet (planning on a controller upgrade in a few weeks, so doing my homework just in case) but I believe this one will work and it's not expensive:
https://amzn.to/3nwpbf7

Note that the page has several different types of cable to scroll through.
Bought this cable but it does not want to fit the radpower connector. Is there an alternative 5pin extension cable for the radpower bikees?

JimInPT

Quote from: reggy on August 23, 2022, 05:24:49 PMBought this cable but it does not want to fit the radpower connector. Is there an alternative 5pin extension cable for the radpower bikees?

Sorry, I don't know, but hopefully somebody else does and will chime in.  I ended up not adding any extension cables when doing my controller upgrade - the only one I would have really liked to add (because the factory one is just short enough to be a real bear to work with), is the 10-pin data cable, but as far as I can tell NOBODY is sourcing a replacement cable for that, at least for now.  Obviously the connectors are available since the 35A controller manufacturer uses them, but nobody seems to just build a cable using them.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.