News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Urgently need new/replacement bafang motor (for mini 4 2020)

Started by Omid Omidia, June 13, 2021, 12:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Omid Omidia

Oh what a thing...

So, got a flat rear tire (first in 6000) running over a full size newish looking razor blade...  in the centre of the road (wtf?), went to remove the tire and the AXLE SNAPPED!! :-(

The nut wasn't messed up, nor previously abused (say cross threaded, etc..,) but whatever, the why matters for next time, first priority is "how do we get our bike, back ridable, asap.... "  (you have to understand— this bike is not just transport... inside pandemic and SO MUCH of the everything that each of us is facing and managing in our own way, this bike has made many things for me easy inside pandemic.... Anyways)

So rad support says "replace the whole rear wheel". They have one in stock, a bit of an over kill, but east... so ordered, payed for... but apparently will still take 4-5 weeks to arrive to me. And as unacceptable as that is, it's also just how things are right now and it's the best they can do, and I get it. (They don't think that's acceptable either)

So now what? (I did pull out my old, very human powered, not a great bicycle, from the balcony, it's  not even close, but it IS something.)

Ultimately if i I have to wait, and there's no other choice at all, and that's what I'll do. But there's many other choices right now!!

I'm novice for bike repair, learning, but it strikes me and i confirm that The axle is actually part of the motor component, and replacing the motor would resolve my dilemma. I have two choices for that i see, i'm open anything i haven't considered as well, but...

- one option:  I could do the Bolton upgrade thing, but the question would be how quickly can that happen? And even if In stock, I don't see it happening much less then several weeks. I really part of that I'm interested in it's just the motor upgrade part.

- second option: so is it not true that anyone that has done the motor upgrade as per Bolton bikes ultimately ends up with an extra motor, the previous one, that I don't think it's a huge market for is there? Anyways I just need one, if there is a huge over supply then  great, but I just need one.

I also need to find out which other models use the same mirror as the mini. In knows some do, not all...

Aside from "please help this kind, desperate, human " ... the only other thing I can think to say is "this is not the more or less simple experience i Have known previously from a flat tire, once on a bike years ago, many in a car, it's a pain, you grumble, you so the things you have to do, it eats up whatever time and money it does and then... it's just a flat tire, you're back on the road.

Sigh...

Omid Omidia

Thanks, And that is one of the options I'm looking at, I'm not sure what the minimum shipping time is it, I don't get the sense that it would arrive all that quickly. But I did message them to find out. If it's gonna take more than three or 4 weeks to arrive, it's   good to me really, and ideally sooner.

More to the point and in case you know more, I read this in the description:

" Also plug and play for the RadRover bikes with upgraded controller.  Not recommended to prior to installing the upgrade kit as some functions may not work properly. "

I do not and don't plan to right now upgrade my controller. In fact I'm using an eggrider.. is that warning just for the rover?

Really, the ideal situation is paying someone who is either local to Bc or at least Canada, Who has upgraded their motor to that snazzy one you mentioned, and has their old motor and doesn't need it anymore, I could probably pay a lot less, they could get some money for something that probably doesn't have a great resale value (or I'll pay a premium— I actually have no idea), and I could get it real quick. Like overnight quick. And the rapidity is what I'm after

Thanks

DCH3416

My interpretation is that motor was not tested using the stock controller. That said, assuming it has the same connector and the same pin configuration, it *should* work. Take that with a grain of salt because I don't have a Rad bike with a bafang motor to test with.

I would probably wait for a replacement part from Rad, especially if the bike is under warranty.

--

When my display went bad on my RadCity model I bought an aftermarket controller/display to fill in the gaps. I was able to get my bike up and running two weeks before the factory parts came in.