News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

waterproof cover to fit the radwagon with a child seat

Started by RadMad, October 09, 2021, 05:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

RadMad

Can anyone suggest a good waterproof bike or motorcycle cover to fit the radwagon including bulky accessories like the thule child seat and the caboose? thanks!

brooklynbiker38

bump. I'm about to receive my first rad wagon. We live in NY and don't have a garage. I may need to park the bike outside. Any other owners have suggestions for how to keep it from rusting? would love a good recommendation for a cover. Thanks

JimInPT

I can't offer a specific recommendation, but I'd go looking for a high-quality motorcycle cover that uses a breathable fabric like Goretex or similar.  You don't want totally "waterproof" as that traps moisture, encouraging rust from condensation.  If it repels water from outside, yet lets water vapor pass through to allow drying out underneath, that's about as good as you'll find I think.  And of course, try to keep it under some sort of protection from direct rain/snowfall if possible.

The cover I got for my MiniST is only for short-term use when it's lashed down to the hitch-mounted carrier, to keep out rain and dust while on the road, so I'm afraid I have no specific long-term cover to recommend.

You might also want to ask around bike shops or clubs for a spray you can apply to the sprockets, chain and derailleur to help repel water but won't harm the mechanism, for long-term storage - like a Scotchgard sort of thing.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

okobojicat

I read several threads on here and other places and I just ordered this one https://amzn.to/3GqoX0U

It should arrive tonight. I'm going to be using it only at work during the rainy season (Tacoma, WA). So it doesn't have to go through the harsh winters elsewhere.

I'll let you know if it fits with the front basket and Yepp Maxxi on the bike.

I got it because I wanted something relatively cheap because its not going through the harshest weather but it does rain. If its too flimsy, well, it wasn't that much money.

okobojicat

I used the cover on Friday when the first rains of our "Bomb Cyclone" hit. The cover completely covered the bike. On the bike right now, I have the front rack and the caboose (but no Yepp Seat yet). The cover completely covers the entirety of the bike and kept it dry. I did notice that there was some seepage through the cover onto the bike seat. It was not a lot - maybe like 2-3 ounces. I think in the future I'll keep a plastic bag at the office and toss it over the seat if I think its going to rain a lot.
Because we did get a heck of a lot of rain on Friday. And then on the ride home, a WHOLE HECK OF A LOT MORE rain. It was raining so hard I couldn't do anything but laugh at it. Thank god it was relatively warm out.

There are two clips to run through the bike tires so it won't blow off and some holes so you could lock a true bike lock through the unit. My parking area is relatively secure so I usually just lock out the battery and don't always put a lock on the bike.

As for a $22 investment, seems like a good one so far. We'll see how it holds up to 2-3 days a week for an entire winter.