News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Runner plus 1000W motor swap

Started by JoseM, September 08, 2021, 09:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JoseM

Hey all, im sure you've seen the 500w-> 750W upgrades all around YouTube
however Rad threw us a curveball In respect to the fitment of those Motors on the new radrunner PLUS models. after trial and error and about 2 wasted motors.
I can confirm on the rad runner plus
this 1000W motor will work as a direct swap.
Full disclosure the screws on the housing of the 1000W are at a tiny bit of an angle when installed onto the stock housing. BUT it fits!
going to try it out and see what happens

https://eunorau-ebike.com/products/bafang-fat-bike-48v1000w-rear-hub-screw-freewheel-motor?_pos=4&_sid=cc77833e4&_ss=r

I haven't put many miles on it as I want a bike shop to check my brakes and derailer to make sure I don't fly off a cliff. but I can confirm this fits and runs!!

Ryan

Quote from: JoseM on September 08, 2021, 09:52:00 AM
Hey all, im sure you've seen the 500w-> 750W upgrades all around YouTube
however Rad threw us a curveball In respect to the fitment of those Motors on the new radrunner PLUS models. after trial and error and about 2 wasted motors.
I can confirm on the rad runner plus
this 1000W motor will work as a direct swap.
Full disclosure the screws on the housing of the 1000W are at a tiny bit of an angle when installed onto the stock housing. BUT it fits!
going to try it out and see what happens

https://eunorau-ebike.com/products/bafang-fat-bike-48v1000w-rear-hub-screw-freewheel-motor?_pos=4&_sid=cc77833e4&_ss=r

I haven't put many miles on it as I want a bike shop to check my brakes and derailer to make sure I don't fly off a cliff. but I can confirm this fits and runs!!

Let us know how it goes. Do you think it will work in other models? Do you have a link handy to the 750 watt one?

JoseM

so far so good! im not going to go as far as to say I can wheelie the bike now but it definitely has some real torque now.
ive put about 30 miles on it so far and I love it. even kind of wish I could ramp down the torque a bit as I fear my little one could feel some whiplash when he's riding in the front. but its great I haven't gotten her past 31-32 mph and I don't care to. its just more robust, feels solid! instead of struggling on hills or to get up to speed.

here's the 750 that's commonly used
https://electrobikeworld.com/products/48v-750w-bafang-geared-rear-hub-motor

https://youtu.be/jCMqGodZBMw

JimInPT

Quote from: JoseM on September 18, 2021, 06:00:16 PMso far so good! im not going to go as far as to say I can wheelie the bike now but it definitely has some real torque now.
ive put about 30 miles on it so far and I love it. even kind of wish I could ramp down the torque a bit as I fear my little one could feel some whiplash when he's riding in the front. but its great I haven't gotten her past 31-32 mph and I don't care to. its just more robust, feels solid! instead of struggling on hills or to get up to speed.

Did you swap in a new controller as well?  If so, which did you use? 
Thanks!
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Altema

Hmm, same motor I just bought, but yours has the Julet Z916 connector instead of the L1019 like mine. Wish I had seen this one sooner!

Which controller are you using?

JTK77

Quote from: Altema on September 23, 2021, 02:47:35 PM
Hmm, same motor I just bought, but yours has the Julet Z916 connector instead of the L1019 like mine. Wish I had seen this one sooner!

Which controller are you using?

L1019 way better than z916.

JTK77

Quote from: JoseM on September 18, 2021, 06:00:16 PM
so far so good! im not going to go as far as to say I can wheelie the bike now but it definitely has some real torque now.

here's the 750 that's commonly used
https://electrobikeworld.com/products/48v-750w-bafang-geared-rear-hub-motor

https://youtu.be/jCMqGodZBMw

Can you show pics of how the screws fit/allign?
Drop out was exatly the same with G062 or did you have to force it in place?

climblaw25

Do you need a new controller for this motor?  If so, which one did you go with? 

Sirch

Thank you for this post, it's good info. 

I'm a bit confused though.  Eunorau prices this 1000w motor for less than I can find most 750w on sites like bolton or electrobike so I'm weary. 

Also, the 1000w from bolton ( https://boltonebikes.com/collections/motors-and-kits/products/copy-of-1000-watt-bafang-fat-bike-hub-motor ) says that it's "Not a drop-in replacement for 750W or less motors. Requires lacing into spokes." but from what I can see from your video it's able to be dropped in with the stock casing.

I'm thinking about doing the motor upgrade but I sure don't want to buy like 4 motors like you did trying to get it to work!  ;D

Altema

Quote from: Sirch on October 10, 2021, 09:59:32 AM
Thank you for this post, it's good info. 

I'm a bit confused though.  Eunorau prices this 1000w motor for less than I can find most 750w on sites like bolton or electrobike so I'm weary. 

Also, the 1000w from bolton ( https://boltonebikes.com/collections/motors-and-kits/products/copy-of-1000-watt-bafang-fat-bike-hub-motor ) says that it's "Not a drop-in replacement for 750W or less motors. Requires lacing into spokes." but from what I can see from your video it's able to be dropped in with the stock casing.

I'm thinking about doing the motor upgrade but I sure don't want to buy like 4 motors like you did trying to get it to work!  ;D

The Rad Runner PLUS has a left side cable exit, and I believe is the only RAD that has a similar housing to allow drop in of the 1000W motor. Other bikes like the Mini and Rover have the motor cable exit on the right side, and you can't use the original housing. We still don't know what controller he's using, but it apparently does not allow to control which direction the motor spins.

For me, I just laced the new motor into my RadMini wheel, and selected reverse rotation during the motor tuning session, and set the peak power to 2000 watts.

Sirch

Quote from: Altema on October 10, 2021, 12:58:07 PM
The Rad Runner PLUS has a left side cable exit, and I believe is the only RAD that has a similar housing to allow drop in of the 1000W motor. Other bikes like the Mini and Rover have the motor cable exit on the right side, and you can't use the original housing. We still don't know what controller he's using, but it apparently does not allow to control which direction the motor spins.

For me, I just laced the new motor into my RadMini wheel, and selected reverse rotation during the motor tuning session, and set the peak power to 2000 watts.

Still confused, especially about the pricing.  Bolton has the 1000w at $300 and EBW has the 750w at $263 (didn't see a 1000w with them) and eunorau sells the 1000w for $220.

And this 1000w is able to be just dropped in the RR+ with the original housing?  I've seen other videos of RadRovers getting dropped in as well.

Which controller are you using?  I was eyeing the Electro Bike World 35a controller with KT-LCD8H Color. 

Altema

Quote from: Sirch on October 11, 2021, 07:53:27 AM

Still confused, especially about the pricing.  Bolton has the 1000w at $300 and EBW has the 750w at $263 (didn't see a 1000w with them) and eunorau sells the 1000w for $220.

And this 1000w is able to be just dropped in the RR+ with the original housing?  I've seen other videos of RadRovers getting dropped in as well.

Which controller are you using?  I was eyeing the Electro Bike World 35a controller with KT-LCD8H Color.
This is the motor I have in the bike right now, but the main connector on th ebike had to be changed: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001314078195.html
They do sell the Julet connector version, which is what Rad uses, so that would be far easier.
I'm really not sure about the "drop in" status for the RR+, as the wires are all hanging out in his video, and it doesn't show it actually installed.
I've used the Electro Bike World 35a controller (same one Bolton sells) in the past, and it's a good unit.

I'm currently using a 96a Phaserunner controller with dual 52v Tesla batteries.

Sirch

Quote from: Altema on October 11, 2021, 11:19:06 AM
Quote from: Sirch on October 11, 2021, 07:53:27 AM

This is the motor I have in the bike right now, but the main connector on th ebike had to be changed: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001314078195.html
They do sell the Julet connector version, which is what Rad uses, so that would be far easier.
I'm really not sure about the "drop in" status for the RR+, as the wires are all hanging out in his video, and it doesn't show it actually installed.
I've used the Electro Bike World 35a controller (same one Bolton sells) in the past, and it's a good unit.

I'm currently using a 96a Phaserunner controller with dual 52v Tesla batteries.

Sweet, thank you for your response!  I ordered the controller, guess I'll worry about the motor later.

Sirch

Just ordered the 1000w motor from eunorau and it still feels a bit daunting but I'm going to lace in this baby when I receive it!

Altema

Quote from: Sirch on November 22, 2021, 08:16:21 AM
Just ordered the 1000w motor from eunorau and it still feels a bit daunting but I'm going to lace in this baby when I receive it!
I'm excited for you! One little thing to remember is those controllers have a little quirk than can catch you off guard. If you are cruising along on throttle only, and you begin pedaling, the controller will go full power regardless of throttle position. You'll probably get used to it, but it is something to warn others about if you let a guest use your bike.