Author Topic: Planetary gear mod?  (Read 5047 times)

Neuroatypical

• View Profile
Planetary gear mod?
« on: December 21, 2020, 12:17:35 PM »
Hi...has anyone any experience or technical knowledge regarding altering the reduction gear ratio?
It seems a mechanical mod would increase performance without requiring electronic mods however i must state i have very limited knowledge regarding the execution of such a mod and was hoping there might be an engineer or two that might enlighten me on my foolishness or congratulate my genius...

Veggyhed

• View Profile
Re: Planetary gear mod?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 05:19:24 AM »
I'm kind of curious about this. Have you found alternative gears that you can use ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Neuroatypical

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
No i haven't found an alternative but im not entirely sure that its possible just to drop in different gears...i understand the basis of planetary gears but not how to configure them

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
Space restrictions inside the hub assembly are the biggest obstacle. You have a set distance from the main pinion to the outer ring gear. Reducing the pinion diameter would require smaller and weaker teeth, and you can't make the outer ring gear larger. That leaves the intermediate gears, and your only choice is to make them smaller and add a second set, which would reverse rotation. It's a lot of work for a small mechanical advantage, and you get more effective results from a simple controller replacement.

By the way, here's a link to a photo of the existing intermediate gears.

https://boltonebikes.com/products/bafang-750-watt-replacement-planetary-gears

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 08:18:42 PM »
I've read on several forums that opening the Bafang hub is a nightmare! Super tight and tiny little screws, I believe they are thread locked from the factory? I hope I never have to go into the rear hub for anything after my warranty expires. Paid my dues working on old Lambretta scooters and old pedal start mopeds. All of them have corroded fasteners with butter heads!

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »
I've read on several forums that opening the Bafang hub is a nightmare! Super tight and tiny little screws, I believe they are thread locked from the factory? I hope I never have to go into the rear hub for anything after my warranty expires. Paid my dues working on old Lambretta scooters and old pedal start mopeds. All of them have corroded fasteners with butter heads!
I plan on breaking my screws free as soon as the warranty expires, if only to make sure I can get them out later on.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 07:49:35 AM »