Author Topic: Studded Tires for Rad Power Bikes  (Read 17293 times)

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Studded Tires for Rad Power Bikes
« on: November 18, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »
We live in Wisconsin and have in the past tucked the bike away for winter. With our Wagon now surpassing 3,000 miles I feel like it is officially broken in and well used. I no longer cringe if I scrape against a curb or worry about other wear and tear. So for this winter I decided to shop for some studded tires. They aren't cheap and I did a lot of price comparison shopping both to get the best deal and share with other Rad owners. I plan to post my thoughts when I get mine installed but for other RadWagon or RadCity owners here are some good options (Sorry Mini, Rover & Runner owners, perhaps someone who owns those will chime in too!)

It's worth noting that the stock tires on the Wagon and City are 26x2.3 and Rad wouldn't give me a definite answer on how narrow you can go on the stock rims. They only stated, "Plus or minus a little could work, but we've only tested them at 2.3" and to contact your local professional bike mechanic. Obviously you'll start to have clearance issues if you go wider. Since I am my appointed professional bike mechanic I made the decision to try out some 2" tires. I was slightly concerned about clearance on the 2.35" wide Kendas below but I imagine they would have probably worked.

It seems that Schwalbe and Kenda have the most affordable studded tires as studded tires can easily reach into the $100's per tire.

I purchased the Schwalbe Marathon Winter Plus HS 396 Studded Mountain Bicycle Tire 26x2 - Wire Bead on a listing that had limited stock on Amazon.

Here is the link in case there are any left. I paid $62 per tire: https://amzn.to/2XnvNyi

You can also purchase them on the Amazon listing below though I would recommend going to 365 Cycles' website directly to get a little better pricing from buying direct. It appears that there is a slight variation between the two with one being the winter "plus". More info here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/winter-cycling/1157508-new-schwalbe-marathon-winter-plus-vs-marathon-winter.html

Amazon: https://amzn.to/2Kyo8I1
365 Cycles: https://365cycles.com/products/schwalbe-marathon-winter-tire-26x2-0-wire-w-reflective-sidewall-and-raceguard?variant=19347679871043

Here are the Kenda Klondikes which are slightly wider than the stock tires at 2.35". REI had the best price and you may be able to save more if you are a REI member:

https://bit.ly/3yAXLrp

Stay tuned for my experience with the studded tires (maybe even a video!) once they arrive and if you've used these or other brands please share your knowledge!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:38:43 AM by Ryan »

glaufen

• View Profile
Re: Studded Tires for Rad Power Bikes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:27:46 AM »
Hi! Considering the wagon for kids & commuting in Montana (read: hills & snow). Running 2” 45Nrths on my trek 3300 right now, which might work on the wagon rims... What was your experience with studded tires on the wagon?

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 04:07:25 PM »
Hi! Considering the wagon for kids & commuting in Montana (read: hills & snow). Running 2” 45Nrths on my trek 3300 right now, which might work on the wagon rims... What was your experience with studded tires on the wagon?

We found the studded tires to be pretty good on ice provided you take it slow. They struggle a little bit more in slush or significant new snowfall. I'd try to go as wide as you can since the extra stability is really nice especially with a heavy bike. .3 inches might not seem like a lot, but there was definitely a difference.

I've just been recently riding the Rover on ice and those tires are super forgiving and the tires weren't even studded. Pressure was also not lowered. Obviously if your kids are older the Rover isn't an option. Probably depends too on your local area, how often are the roads pretty clear etc. We often have to ride on the sidewalks which are last to be dealt with.

fin_rad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:02:30 PM »
I highly recommend studded tires. A must thing for the next winter for my Rad. At least to the front wheel. Just flipped around after finding a nice icy spot on the road... Luckily Rad survived with minor scratches, but riders clothing not.. ;)

Omidia Ramin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
Omg - how awesome!

I’ve been considering this recently. We don’t have a brutal winter in vancouver but starting a couple weeks ago and probably for the next 3 months there will be Ice randomly (or not), and that hurt.

So I have the mini 4 which in the docs says “up to 4”. Any thoughts on where I should look on sizing?

Also, what are the non studded weather consequences?  (I intend to go back to my regular tires in feb or March when below 0 isn’ta thing any more) but again, it’s icy often enough right now that I kinda got to lay off the riding when it’s not above freezing or do something and it brings so much joy to my every day!

My point which I post being that 80% of the time for these three months it May be raining or dry it the rest of the things.  What should i expect? Like will it be tolerable or barely noticeable or?

And if that’s going to cause the tires to have a silly short life? Because I can’t but new ones every year at $100 or more a tire!

Thanks for any initial guidance!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 06:27:45 PM »
Omg - how awesome!

I’ve been considering this recently. We don’t have a brutal winter in vancouver but starting a couple weeks ago and probably for the next 3 months there will be Ice randomly (or not), and that hurt.

So I have the mini 4 which in the docs says “up to 4”. Any thoughts on where I should look on sizing?

Also, what are the non studded weather consequences?  (I intend to go back to my regular tires in feb or March when below 0 isn’ta thing any more) but again, it’s icy often enough right now that I kinda got to lay off the riding when it’s not above freezing or do something and it brings so much joy to my every day!

My point which I post being that 80% of the time for these three months it May be raining or dry it the rest of the things.  What should i expect? Like will it be tolerable or barely noticeable or?

And if that’s going to cause the tires to have a silly short life? Because I can’t but new ones every year at $100 or more a tire!

I think it is going to depend on how much you are riding. While you can ride on the pavement with the studded tires I try not to just to prevent unnecessary wear. At some point with the cold temps in WI there is a lot more ice or hard-packed snow than not. I'm not very familiar with Vancouver weather but if the ice doesn't last I'd maybe look to put on knobby tires for winter, lower the seat for increased safety and maybe be a bit picky when you ride. You may also find it challenging to find off the shelf studded tires that fit the RadMini. Perhaps others will have some other suggestions.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 01:18:02 PM »
Omg - how awesome!

I think it is going to depend on how much you are riding. While you can ride on the pavement with the studded tires I try not to just to prevent unnecessary wear. At some point with the cold temps in WI there is a lot more ice or hard-packed snow than not. I'm not very familiar with Vancouver weather but if the ice doesn't last I'd maybe look to put on knobby tires for winter, lower the seat for increased safety and maybe be a bit picky when you ride. You may also find it challenging to find off the shelf studded tires that fit the RadMini. Perhaps others will have some other suggestions.

Ryan's advice sounds good to me, and I'll probably just be a little pickier about conditions. The RadMini does well in moderate snow, and the only problem I've had is wet ice that I THOUGHT was just wet pavement, lol. I'm still keeping my eye open for studded tires, but it's not a huge concern because I'm not commuting anywhere right now. 

Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 11:56:40 AM »
Hi do you if these will work on the radwagon 4? Live on a dirt road and hoping to upgrade the tires to be able to handle off road

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2021, 03:52:02 PM »
Hi do you if these will work on the radwagon 4? Live on a dirt road and hoping to upgrade the tires to be able to handle off road

I don't see a link to what you're referencing.

MN_Drew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 06:27:37 PM »
I've been looking for a studded tire that fits the Radwagon 4 22x3 profile, and haven't been able to find one. Has anyone else come up with something?

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 10:22:22 AM »
I was unable to find anyone who supplies studded tires for the Radwagon 4 and, due to the design of the tire tread, putting in studs was not practical. However there's a company called "Slipknot" that supplies bicycle tire chains for a variety of sizes. They don't list a size for the Radwagon 4 but when I wrote to them here's the answer I got:

Hey Dave,
We do have that size available I just haven’t gotten them on the site yet. If you order the 24”x3” I will make sure you get the correct size. We are waiting on materials but should be shipping by early to mid October. If they are a gift and you need them sooner let me know and I’ll see what we can do.
Thanks,
Justin

The email address is "conatctjustinshaw@gmail.com"

The tire chains cost about $100.00 a pair (If I remember correctly) and the shipping to Canada is about $35.00. I live in Vernon BC, Canada and we have snow every winter and the sidewalks and bike paths are not cleared much so I am going to need something for the tires in order to ride this winter. I remember using rope and extension cords for tire chains when I was a kid. They/it worked pretty well so I can, sort of, vouch for the tire chains.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 11:48:37 AM »
I was unable to find anyone who supplies studded tires for the Radwagon 4 and, due to the design of the tire tread, putting in studs was not practical. However there's a company called "Slipknot" that supplies bicycle tire chains for a variety of sizes. They don't list a size for the Radwagon 4 but when I wrote to them here's the answer I got:

Hey Dave,
We do have that size available I just haven’t gotten them on the site yet. If you order the 24”x3” I will make sure you get the correct size. We are waiting on materials but should be shipping by early to mid October. If they are a gift and you need them sooner let me know and I’ll see what we can do.
Thanks,
Justin

The tire chains cost about $100.00 a pair (If I remember correctly) and the shipping to Canada is about $35.00. I live in Vernon BC, Canada and we have snow every winter and the sidewalks and bike paths are not cleared much so I am going to need something for the tires in order to ride this winter. I remember using rope and extension cords for tire chains when I was a kid. They/it worked pretty well so I can, sort of, vouch for the tire chains.

This is really helpful information. I'm going to keep this in mind.

Joel52334

• Using my RPW4 for my cardiac rehab.
    • View Profile
    • Oh the things I know & do! --(under construction)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 04:57:11 PM »
I was unable to find anyone who supplies studded tires for the Radwagon 4 and, due to the design of the tire tread, putting in studs was not practical. However, there's a company called "Slipknot" that supplies bicycle tire chains for a variety of sizes. They don't list a size for the Radwagon 4 but when I wrote to them here's the answer I got:

Hey Dave,
We do have that size available I just haven’t gotten them on the site yet. If you order the 24”x3” I will make sure you get the correct size. We are waiting on materials but should be shipping by early to mid-October. If they are a gift and you need them sooner let me know and I’ll see what we can do.
Thanks,
Justin

This is really helpful information. I'm going to keep this in mind.

That's an interesting idea.  Living here in Iowa, USA "Tundra Season" can start in late October, and go into April.  I'll star this thread.
I'm an RW4 owner. I'm not using any of these ancient forums. (ICQ, AIM, MSN, YIM). Instead look for @joelhuebner, joel.huebner, joel.huebner@gmail.com, joel52334.
That's where you will find me.
This forum uses UTC time. GMT-0.  I'm at GMT-5 CDT.

fin_rad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »
This seems to be their website?
https://www.slipnottraction.com/shop

Lähetetty minun LYA-L29 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Ermpi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »
Hello everyone,

I own a radrunner and wanted to install studded tires as the roads around where I live get very icy and it takes a while for them to be dealt with. I wanted to know from someone who has tried studded tires on any rad bike, how it is on turns and if it is still easy to slip out. Also I have enjoyed reading about the different solutions to riding in the winter!

Thanks.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 10:43:14 AM »