News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Off Road Use

Started by Boatinbear, January 01, 2021, 12:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Boatinbear

Just wondering if anyone has used the Radwagon off road.   The Radwagon 4 has bigger tires but more of an on road tire.   Most of my riding is going to be paved streets.   Some roads are dirt/gravel.  I also am going to do some trails.  Is going to a street (non knobby) tire going to make that big of a difference?  Coming from a 29er mountain bike but I don't do mountain bike trail much at all.   I use it more of a commuter. 

sclifrickson

I could be wrong, but right now I believe the only tire available for the Radwagon 4 is the semi-slick that's stock, which is not a great choice for anything off of dry asphalt.  I'm hoping Rad offers something knobbier soon.  Would love something like a Kenda Smallblock 8, although at the Radwagon's 3" width, it'd be more like a Smallblock 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boatinbear

Quote from: sclifrickson on January 09, 2021, 03:47:30 PM
I could be wrong, but right now I believe the only tire available for the Radwagon 4 is the semi-slick that's stock, which is not a great choice for anything off of dry asphalt.  I'm hoping Rad offers something knobbier soon.  Would love something like a Kenda Smallblock 8, although at the Radwagon's 3" width, it'd be more like a Smallblock 16.

I am hoping that other companies start using the 22" size more too.  If they do then there is a better chance of other types of tires available.   Kind of wondering though if it is really going to be that big of a deal for casual riding.   I see road bikes on gravel roads and rails to trails paths as well.   Some of those trails are dirt, gravel or crushed limestone.   In mud or wet conditions it will be worse with smoother tire on the Radwagon 4 but it is rare that I am riding in a lot of wet/muddy conditions.  I think the 3" width might help too.   I guess we will see.   I was hoping that others have tried this with the Radwagon 4 but then again maybe there is not that many out there yet.  Thx