Author Topic: New Radrover 5 Motor Shuts Down  (Read 8961 times)

CG31

• View Profile
New Radrover 5 Motor Shuts Down
« on: October 12, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »
I have had my Radrover for almost 3 weeks and have put on over 200 miles. Almost every time I ride at least once the motor just shuts off. This usually happens when I start to pedal again from a complete stop, also the throttle will not work either. This only lasts a few seconds before the motor re-engages but it is enough time to get yourself in trouble. Any ideas, sent an email to RAD late last week, haven't heard anything.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Radrover 5 Motor Shuts Down
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »
I imagine you'll hear back early this week. Sounds like maybe a controller issue. Have you made sure all connections are secure? I doubt that's the issue but always good to make sure. Let us know what Rad says.

RMM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 02:44:54 PM »
Mine started this before I got an error 25.  Turned out my issue was the peddle assist sensor.  I didn't get to the bottom of it until the issue go worse.  :(

NotAppearingInThisThread

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 03:02:45 PM »
I have had my Radrover for almost 3 weeks and have put on over 200 miles. Almost every time I ride at least once the motor just shuts off. This usually happens when I start to pedal again from a complete stop, also the throttle will not work either. This only lasts a few seconds before the motor re-engages but it is enough time to get yourself in trouble. Any ideas, sent an email to RAD late last week, haven't heard anything.

Mine has been doing this sporadically as well, also a new Rover 5 with ~600 miles on it. They sent me a new controller and battery tray, but I haven't had a chance to install it yet to see if it fixes the problem. I agree, if it happens in a bad spot like a left turn, it's pretty dangerous.

radrover4fun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 06:52:10 PM »
I have 110 mile on my rover and this has happened to me about 3 times, once at 60 miles and twice on my last ride.

Baudler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »
Same thing happened to me from a stop.  No power.  Just hit the brakes and I got power again. 

radrover4fun

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »
I had this happen a few times and then resolve itself.  Then last week it just shut down and I had to peddle that beast home.  I called support and quickly figured out it was the barrel bolt connection coming from the controller was loose.

RRbiker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 11:00:45 PM »
Yep.  This just happened to me today too.  Rad Rover 5, biked it about 200 miles.  Going up a steep grade, low gear - motor shuts off.  Turned bike on and off to reset.  Had to do this multiple times to get through my ride.  Will have to call Rad on Monday...again. :(

santacruzpaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 10:41:42 AM »
Same thing happened to me from a stop.  No power.  Just hit the brakes and I got power again.

My exact same issue, My Radrover 5 shuts down about every 15 miles, I tap the brakes and all is back to normal, till the next time, Rad sent me a new controller, brake levers, and wiring harness to replace, Replaced all, And still having the same problem, Customer support was great, But still not fixed, So I kinda gave up, And living with it
       On another note I liked my Radrover 5 so much I bought another one, Right out of the box after assembly the new Rad had 3 shut downs in 4 miles, I sent it back immediately, Hope this glitch is gone with the new Radrover 6,

As I mentioned before my Rad shuts down about every 15 miles, In actuality it probably happens more often than 15 miles, Since I am using the brakes often. Please update this subject when you all have more to add,

A friend who is an electrical engineer commented that it may be a firmware problem, (Whatever that is)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 10:50:53 AM by santacruzpaul »

crorris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 10:36:08 AM »
This used to happen to me on my Rover 5. After I upgraded to the Bolton controller it went away.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2021, 10:36:08 AM »