News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad 5 plus Electro World 35 Amp Upgrade Install Question

Started by Jay West, June 05, 2023, 02:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Jay West

I received my Electro World 35 Upgrade kit and I was wondering if anyone had installed this on Rad City 5 Plus ST. The question I have is how did you mount the controller? The space between the seat tube and the fender is not wide enough to accommodate the thickness of the controller. It looks like I would have to put a spacer between the fender and the frame to move it backward a 1/2" or so to fit the controller box between the seat tube and the fender.
I would appreciate it if someone had installed this controller would give me an idea how they did it.
Thanks
Jay

Jay West

I don't have any pics.  There just isn't enough room between the seat post and the fender to install the controller without making some alterations like moving the fender rearward. The controller is too thick to fit the space.   I was looking for someone who had made this install so I could get some ideas before I began the install on my Rad City 5 +.

Thanks
Jay

handlebar

My Radmission seems to have the same geometry, although the OEM controller on the Radcity 5 looks incredibly small in photos. I chose the 25-amp controller so it would fit. It will provide 70% as much power, which is still much better than OEM for my 500 watt Radmission or my 750 watt Radrunner. For a nonslip surface, I applied RTV to the seat tube and let it cure. Then I secured the controller with 120-lb zip ties.

If you stick with the 35-amp controller, it looks as if a Radcity 5 has room to strap it in front of the seat tube.

Altema

Looks like the two most viable options are on the front of the seat tube (will interfere with the step through function a bit), or under the rear rack (will need cable extensions except for the taillight. You can go with the 25 amp controller to place it between the seat tube and the rear fender, and it will greatly improve power, but you'll lose a bit of efficiency.

cssshb

Quote from: Jay West on June 10, 2023, 03:28:21 PM
I don't have any pics.  There just isn't enough room between the seat post and the fender to install the controller without making some alterations like moving the fender rearward. The controller is too thick to fit the space.   I was looking for someone who had made this install so I could get some ideas before I began the install on my Rad City 5 +.

Thanks
Jay

Did you manage to get the 35a controller installed on your RadCity 5+ Step-Thru?

I have ordered the 35a controller for my RadCity 5+ Step-Thru as I am getting desperate to get the bike rolling. I am wondering how your experience has been.

Jay West

I haven't installed it yet but I have been exploring some avenues.  The 2 possibilities I have come up with are mounting it on the front of the seat post (interferes somewhat on the step thru, I have a step thru also) or mounting it on the side of the seat post.  The other possibility is move the rear fender rearward by using two 3/4" or 1 inch stand offs (spacers).  In doing this the controller would fit between the seat post and the fender. It is too wide to fit with out doing this alteration.

This would require new fender bolts perhaps 1 1/4" to 1/1/2" long and moving the small junction wiring box to the side of the seat post.  This perhaps would work if after doing this this it not interfere with the removal of the rear wheel.

Still pondering the best solution.

cssshb

Quote from: Jay West on June 16, 2023, 08:34:49 PM
I haven't installed it yet but I have been exploring some avenues.  The 2 possibilities I have come up with are mounting it on the front of the seat post (interferes somewhat on the step thru, I have a step thru also) or mounting it on the side of the seat post.  The other possibility is move the rear fender rearward by using two 3/4" or 1 inch stand offs (spacers).  In doing this the controller would fit between the seat post and the fender. It is too wide to fit with out doing this alteration.

This would require new fender bolts perhaps 1 1/4" to 1/1/2" long and moving the small junction wiring box to the side of the seat post.  This perhaps would work if after doing this this it not interfere with the removal of the rear wheel.

Still pondering the best solution.

Thanks for the information. I think when my controller arrives I'll put it on the front of the seat post. I just want to get the bike rolling and am okay with sacrificing the step-thru feature if it means I can actually just get the bike on the move.

JimInPT

Quote from: Altema on June 14, 2023, 03:44:14 PMLooks like the two most viable options are on the front of the seat tube (will interfere with the step through function a bit), or under the rear rack (will need cable extensions except for the taillight.

When I installed my 35A upgrade into my 2021 MiniST2, a couple of the cables were uncomfortably tight so I went in search of extensions.  I looked everywhere and asked everybody and NOBODY sold an extension for the 10-pin connector, shown below.  Amazon even had full kits, except for that one.

If this has changed, and 10-pin extenders are now available, please advise - I'd love to take some of the tension off the connectors.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.