News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

35 amp controller upgrade in the U.K.

Started by Tony, December 14, 2020, 12:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Tony

Has anyone used the upgrade controller from Big Game Bikes in the U.K.?   Tony.

Altema

Quote from: Tony on December 14, 2020, 12:18:25 PM
Has anyone used the upgrade controller from Big Game Bikes in the U.K.?   Tony.
I went to the Big Game Bikes website, and pulled up a photo of the controller they are selling. It has the same model number as the unit sold by Electro Bike World and Bolton Bikes in the US, so they should be exactly the same unless the programming has been changed for the UK.

FortunatelyTheMilk

yup, that looks identical, and a lot cheaper than paying for shipping form the US! 

Tony

Mic

I have used BigGameBikes for various items and found Gareth very helpful

Tony

I went ahead and bought the controller from Gareth at Big Game. Very helpful and he programmes the controlled if you want. Turns out we live near each other so I went to pick it up. This is a major improvement for the euro 250 bike, it really moves now. As Altema reports in another post, the cable to the front display is a bit short so you have to route it up the front of the controller. Gareth is very easy to deal with and always replies to messages. Well worth doing. You won't need 1st gear and pas 5 again unless you are going vertical.

FortunatelyTheMilk

I got my shipping notification from BGB earlier this week, just waiting for delivery now!

Tony

Good for you, Gareth recently got a delivery of these. My short lead up to the controller was on a Radmini 4. It may not be short for your model bike.

JTK77

I´m working with Rad upgrade controller kit that will be ready quite soon.
Upgrade kit is 48 to 60v system compatible sine wave 40A max Rad motor connector in standard format. Battery connection is xt90 10 gauge wire.
Option for L10 motor connector/cable (1000w G062 motor) and 45A.
Kit includes plug n play controller, lcd8h and main harness.
Based in europe (EU).

Tony

JTK77 that's interesting, keep us updated on this.  I've just been out with my 5 year old grandson one the back and accidentally popped a wheelie with throttle only when pulling away . Getting full use of the throttle is something we didn't have on the euro model.  I can't wait to fit the full 750 motor from BGB  now. 😀

Altema

Quote from: Tony on February 17, 2021, 04:51:23 AM
JTK77 that's interesting, keep us updated on this.  I've just been out with my 5 year old grandson one the back and accidentally popped a wheelie with throttle only when pulling away . Getting full use of the throttle is something we didn't have on the euro model.  I can't wait to fit the full 750 motor from BGB  now. 😀
If the accidental wheelies become a concern, you can adjust the C5 parameters in the display settings. The default setting is 10, which is immediate full power. Settings 9 through 3 reduce the maximum power output, but settings 2, 1, and 0 keep full power, but slowly apply it so you don't get a lurch. 0 is the softest setting. We have a 9 year old, and I installed a backrest to keep from launching her off the seat!

Tony

Hi Altema, thanks for the suggestions in C5 I will look into it. I do find the throttle a bit sudden coming on and need to be cautious when manoeuvring. But it's great to have the extra power when you need it. It is that sudden lurch whilst trying to creep foreword.
  Also I find the pedal assist comes in later than the std Rad controller. The assist doesn't come in until I get to about 5 mph. Is there an adjustment for this ?   So far loving the extra power but it's not as smooth/refined as the std Rad controller. I do already have a back rest for the boy. The mini is quite rear heavy with the motor, battery, seated position and small passenger but I am really enjoying this bike. Tony.

Altema

Quote from: Tony on February 26, 2021, 09:33:39 AM
Hi Altema, thanks for the suggestions in C5 I will look into it. I do find the throttle a bit sudden coming on and need to be cautious when manoeuvring. But it's great to have the extra power when you need it. It is that sudden lurch whilst trying to creep foreword.
  Also I find the pedal assist comes in later than the std Rad controller. The assist doesn't come in until I get to about 5 mph. Is there an adjustment for this ?   So far loving the extra power but it's not as smooth/refined as the std Rad controller. I do already have a back rest for the boy. The mini is quite rear heavy with the motor, battery, seated position and small passenger but I am really enjoying this bike. Tony.
In regards to the pedal assist coming in late, I believe the C4 setting is tied to the PAS not coming on until 6km. I have two different version of the manual, and they are a bit conflicting at times. What are your present P4 and C4 settings in the display?

Tony

Hi, I have P4 at 0. And C4 at 0.   Tony.

Tony

Quote from: Altema on February 26, 2021, 08:12:28 AM
Quote from: Tony on February 17, 2021, 04:51:23 AM
If the accidental wheelies become a concern, you can adjust the C5 parameters in the display settings. The default setting is 10, which is immediate full power. Settings 9 through 3 reduce the maximum power output, but settings 2, 1, and 0 keep full power, but slowly apply it so you don't get a lurch. 0 is the softest setting. We have a 9 year old, and I installed a backrest to keep from launching her off the seat!
Well done Altema, you were spot on with the C5 setting.  00 is the softest setting for the throttle to start.it's much more manageable.  I can test ride it from there. Thank you.
Any more thoughts on the delayed pedal pedal assist ?   Tony.