News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Just got my new RadRover 5!!

Started by efhughes3, September 19, 2020, 01:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

efhughes3

Hi All,

First post here! Just got my new bike yesterday. It went together well, and I've got a few miles on it now. For reference, I ordered this and a step-thru Rover for my wife on 7/29. Estimated shipping on both was Sept, however my wife's is delayed until Oct. The only hiccup on shipping was I got my notice of it shipping on 9/10, but FedEx showed "pending" for over a week, before it "magically" was on the truck yesterday for delivery. All's well, that ends well, I suppose. At any rate, I love the bike.

My only issue is occasionally under PAS 2 or 3, I get a bit of a growling noise briefly, when I start pedaling like after slowing for a turn. Not every time, and it's only a second or 2. Is this something others experience?

Altema

The low RPM motor growl is normal. I get it on my RadMini 4 as well, and it's typical of this motor design.

efhughes3

Quote from: Altema on September 20, 2020, 04:08:50 PM
The low RPM motor growl is normal. I get it on my RadMini 4 as well, and it's typical of this motor design.

Thanks for the reply. However, I can't believe it's normal. Maybe I should have described better: I know what the motor sounds like when it's working. A low growl or whirring noise. This happens when it hasn't been ridden in a couple of hours. It seems to have gotten worse, and it does it for about 30 seconds, then it goes away. More like the sound of a bad wheel bearing on a car, times 3. Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/gDDWGcmSgS0

CG31

Did you send this video to Rad technical support?

efhughes3

Quote from: CG31 on September 21, 2020, 04:37:59 PM
Did you send this video to Rad technical support?

Yes, I have-finally got a call back and they are reviewing. It's either motor or possibly the controller.

efhughes3

Just to close the loop here, my motor looks to have been bad. Rad sent be a complete wheel/tire/motor AND a controller, just in case. I put the new wheel on today, and put about 7 miles on it with NO noises!! Finally.....Rad was pretty quick in shipping the parts, FedEx was HORRIBLE in getting them to me. All's well that ends well!

Dan B

That's what I call great customer support..