News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Radcity 5 Plus Controller + Display

Started by cyrexo, April 23, 2022, 03:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

cyrexo

Hi there!

I've got the radcity 5 Plus EU Version.
And I Love IT!

But the increased speed of the Bike (Just 32 km/h) doesnt feel enough for me.

Does anyone know where I can get the US components? I would Just need all of the electronics except the battery.

Because shipping the whole E-Bike Form the US with a parcel forwarding Service would probably Turn Out to be a mess due to battery regulations.

Maybe anyone can sell me those or knows some other way?

Getting a thirdparty Controller is Not an Option as I Love RADs new Interface.

Also getting the Evaluation Kit for the BAC355 Controller which RAD uses isnt. I dont have the technical knowledge. .

Thank you and have a nice day

FL-GK

Quote from: cyrexo on April 23, 2022, 03:50:07 PM
Hi there!

And I Love IT!

Does anyone know where I can get the US components? I would Just need all of the electronics except the battery.

Because shipping the whole E-Bike Form the US with a parcel forwarding Service would probably Turn Out to be a mess due to battery regulations.

Maybe anyone can sell me those or knows some other way?

Getting a third party Controller is Not an Option as I Love RADs new Interface.

Also getting the Evaluation Kit for the BAC355 Controller which RAD uses isn't. I don't have the technical knowledge. .

Have you/you could try to change it programmatically? When you are in program mode (for example, to change the time), press and hold the PAS down button and the light button and soon it will change to allow watt and top speed changes. I am here in the US so I'm 750W and there is no higher, I kept my speed the same as 20MPH is fine for me. Also I apologize if the key sequence is not quite correct but once you get into program mode it's as I describe or it's the up, down and light key, press and hold all at the same time until display changes. I don't blame you for wanting more watts, not all motors are the same, they should just regulate speed, never power.

cyrexo

Quote from: FL-GK on April 25, 2022, 12:08:55 PM

Have you/you could try to change it programmatically? When you are in program mode (for example, to change the time), press and hold the PAS down button and the light button and soon it will change to allow watt and top speed changes. I am here in the US so I'm 750W and there is no higher, I kept my speed the same as 20MPH is fine for me. Also I apologize if the key sequence is not quite correct but once you get into program mode it's as I describe or it's the up, down and light key, press and hold all at the same time until display changes. I don't blame you for wanting more watts, not all motors are the same, they should just regulate speed, never power.

Hi!

Yes thats actually what i did. Unfortunately I can increase the max. Speed just till 32 km/h. (There ist no Watt setting also no throttle in the EU Version)

In the US Version you can increase Up to 40km/h.
I dont think they changed the Motor, I Just think they somehow limited the Controller.

I dont need much More Watts. But the additional 8 km/h would add significant benefits. As you have to pedal almost constantly to Reach 32km/h Else it stays around 27 km/h.

Thats why i was thinking about getting the US Controller and Display and maybe the Motor in Case they somehow User a different Motor there...

FL-GK

Quote from: cyrexo on April 25, 2022, 09:10:54 PM

Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

I still think you will find it's the watts you are after.

Take care and best of luck!

Oh, you could always move over here to the states?!? LOL

Hi!

Yes thats actually what i did. Unfortunately I can increase the max. Speed just till 32 km/h. (There ist no Watt setting also no throttle in the EU Version)

I dont think they changed the Motor, I Just think they somehow limited the Controller.

I dont need much More Watts. But the additional 8 km/h would add significant benefits. As you have to pedal almost constantly to Reach 32km/h Else it stays around 27 km/h.

Thats why i was thinking about getting the US Controller and Display and maybe the Motor in Case they somehow User a different Motor there...

Ddaybc

Look into the Eggrider from Big Game Bikes. They are an EU company and the Eggrider allows one to tap in to the potential of the motor without buying and installing any US or other foreign electronics.

The hub drives rotate at a specific maximum speed based on the voltage applied to the motor not the watts. Watts essentially give you torque and Voltage gives you speed. If you want to increase the speed above what the software can supply you need to increase the voltage.

FL-GK

Quote from: Ddaybc on April 26, 2022, 09:43:57 AM
Look into the Eggrider from Big Game Bikes. They are an EU company and the Eggrider allows one to tap in to the potential of the motor without buying and installing any US or other foreign electronics.

The hub drives rotate at a specific maximum speed based on the voltage applied to the motor not the watts. Watts essentially give you torque and Voltage gives you speed. If you want to increase the speed above what the software can supply you need to increase the voltage.

The settings on the software are in watts and KPH so I was only referring to what a person would see if they were attempting to change this setting. The reason I say they will want to increase the wattage is speed is speed. So 15MPH is 15 MPH but if your limited to 250W it's got to be taking way longer to get there then if you're set to 750W (or you have to input a lot more pedal power). I can actually experiment with this later and may do so if I have time.

Ddaybc

Hi there!

FL-GK the OP is asking to go faster as 32 km/h isn't enough for him. He's not asking to get up to speed quicker, just that it's not fast enough for him. Unfortunately even if one was able to set the top speed to 40 km/h the bike doesn't put out enough watts to get there. With the egg rider one is able to tap in to enough watts to do it as it unlocks some of the restrictions. I suggested he look into it as it may help him to overcome the restrictions of the EU bikes without turning to other products not as common in his country.

If one wishes to increase the overall speed beyond 40 km/h the voltage has to be increased as the motor rpm is tied to the voltage. The torque is not. Our Rad bikes can and do handle a lot of watts, 1000, 1200 etc but the top speed doesn't change. They just get there quicker.

FL-GK

Quote from: Ddaybc on April 27, 2022, 07:33:39 AM
Hi there!

FL-GK the OP is asking to go faster as 32 km/h isn't enough for him. He's not asking to get up to speed quicker, just that it's not fast enough for him. Unfortunately even if one was able to set the top speed to 40 km/h the bike doesn't put out enough watts to get there. With the egg rider one is able to tap in to enough watts to do it as it unlocks some of the restrictions. I suggested he look into it as it may help him to overcome the restrictions of the EU bikes without turning to other products not as common in his country.

If one wishes to increase the overall speed beyond 40 km/h the voltage has to be increased as the motor rpm is tied to the voltage. The torque is not. Our Rad bikes can and do handle a lot of watts, 1000, 1200 etc but the top speed doesn't change. They just get there quicker.

I see what you're saying, I was coming at it more from the only two options you have to change on the stock controller (at least US version I have) are speed and wattage. You can go from 250 to 500 to 750W, so I suppose you could say the speed adjustment is voltage but it's not how it's listed when you go to change the programming. And we did both say the same thing in the end "it's the Watts that will get you there quicker". I agree the controller you mention sounds great, I'm going to check them out myself as I'm not familiar with them.

david.platt@mac.com

Quote from: FL-GK on April 26, 2022, 09:05:17 AM
Quote from: cyrexo on April 25, 2022, 09:10:54 PM

Well, I'm sorry to hear that.

I still think you will find it's the watts you are after.

Take care and best of luck!

Oh, you could always move over here to the states?!? LOL

Hi!

I agree the limiter just saps your fun. It's Better turned up.

Mine under full blast pedalling, full 500 watt power ( Canadian ) hits the wall at 38 km.