Author Topic: Transporting via Rear Vehicle Bike Rack - Question about rain protection  (Read 6938 times)

Rewillia

• View Profile
Considering the transportation of our two RadMini(s) via a vehicle rear hitch mount carrier but an concerned about rain water in the (likely) event that sooner or later, the e-bikes will get exposed to rain water while in transport on the carrier.

Is doing so (transporting on a carrier) safe in terms of water encroachment and if so, what steps should one take to protect the bikes, i.e. handle-bar leather grips, controller, switches, battery terminals, rear motor, etc?

If the answer is "use a good stretch over type cover" which are recommended as being the highest quality in terms of durability and lasting features?

We do plan to remove the batteries when transporting the Mini(s) on a rack.

Dan

• View Profile
I’ve been pleased with my travel rain cover, which also protects against winter road salt here in Vermont. 

Veggyhed

• View Profile
I own a  mini 4 and use it as a daily commuter. I've been caught in some pretty crazy rain storms along with some pretty heavy snow and I've never had any problems.
I have never transported my bike via car in the elements. I would be very cautious about the battery being removed because then the receiving end of the terminals would get wet which could result in a short when you return the battery to the bike.
I know people  have made plugs that go over the connectors with the battery and where the connectors are on the bike but I have never used them. Seems like all of them are 3D printed and I'm pretty sure you may be able to print these for yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Rewillia

• View Profile
I’ve been pleased with my travel rain cover, which also protects against winter road salt here in Vermont.

And which cover is that, i.e.  Brand, name, type?

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There are screen covers and battery caps that I have been using. They are linked at the bottom of our accessories list: https://ebikeescape.com/electric-bike-accessories/

We also have the cover from Pro Bike Tool though for our long trips (24 hr drive) we ended up just wrapping up the critical parts on the bikes with plastic bags and tape. This seemed like a better solution than worrying about limiting visibility from the rear when driving at night (though I did a DIY light below our rack as well). Here is the link to the post I did on the cover: https://ebikeescape.com/ebike-covers/

Dan

• View Profile
It was the Pro Bike Tool cover, extra large, travel version.  Available on Amazon and elsewhere.  Well made and the right size for the Rad Rover.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:16:03 PM by Ryan »

Earthman58

• View Profile
Re: Transporting via Rear Vehicle Bike Rack - Question about rain protection
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2022, 08:46:16 AM »
It was the Pro Bike Tool cover, extra large, travel version.  Available on Amazon and elsewhere.  Well made and the right size for the Rad Rover.

I'm surprised to see so little in the way of comments on this topic. Just bought a Rover 6+ to keep active outdoors through the winter here in New Hampshire, but I'm concerned about transporting it on my hitch rack and riding on the road (to and from the rail trail) with salt on the road. It seems the Pro Bike Tool covers (and others) are open on the bottom. Doesn't that let road salt spray up and onto the bike? Any solutions (no pun intended) from folks in cold climate with road salt?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2022, 01:16:18 PM by Ryan »

ScotPDX

• View Profile

I'm surprised to see so little in the way of comments on this topic. Just bought a Rover 6+ to keep active outdoors through the winter here in New Hampshire, but I'm concerned about transporting it on my hitch rack and riding on the road (to and from the rail trail) with salt on the road. It seems the Pro Bike Tool covers (and others) are open on the bottom. Doesn't that let road salt spray up and onto the bike? Any solutions (no pun intended) from folks in cold climate with road salt?  Thanks!

New to the forum.  I too am going to haul our Rover 6's, both from the rear of our pickup, but also from the front when towing our travel trailer, and concerned about exposing the components to the elements.  I cannot use a bike cover when towing the trailer due to the potential of overheating.  I ordered the battery terminal plugs from Rad but was surprised to see that they don't offer any other protection.  I plan on using plastic bags and zip ties over the control panel and display but I'm not sure what I'm going to do to protect the motor.  I might experiment with some kind of waterproof material similar to that used for lightweight fishing waders.  My wife is a pretty good seamstress and perhaps we can fashion something that would cover the motor.  Stay tuned.

John Rose

• It's not cheating.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 11:47:34 AM »
Rad Power Bikes has a "Battery Terminal Cover" for external and semi-integrated battery mounts.

Printables.com has some Rad connector and terminal cover files - https://www.printables.com/model/71609-rad-power-battery-and-bike-connectors

RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

bigthumbbob

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2023, 08:59:18 PM »
I use the 5" stretch wrap form Home Depot. 1,000' for $12. I remove the battery and then wrap it around the entire battery housing (RC5+). I don't want to use one of those large covers because it would obstruct my vision out of the back of the car.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum