News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Power Bikes New Model Discussion 2024

Started by Ryan, March 05, 2024, 05:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Ryan

I honestly haven't taken a deep look at the new models as I just found out about them the day before release. Here they are though: https://bit.ly/3InDL2E

Curious about what everyone thinks, what questions do you have? I have all 4 models en route and full reviews will follow. This is the biggest release from Rad in a long time so I'm really excited to get a close look.

John Rose

I have doubts about the rear rack on the Radsters.

They say they're "Integrated, 55 lb (25 kg) carrying capacity", but they don't look like they have much (or any) bracing against fore & aft movement. Not like the RadWagon and RadRunner models.
There should be something like a bar going to the seat tube.

Now, with "Full coverage aluminum alloy fenders ...", is the rear fender supposed to be rigid enough to provide that bracing?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

John Rose

Oh, hey - RadWagon now with 20" x 3.3" tires, instead of the oddball 22".

RadBob

Hi

I know it?s early but I?d be interested to know if the suspension forks on the new Expand 5 Plus will fit on the normal Expand 5?

I have two Expand 5 bikes and wish they had suspension forks

Radio Runner

Quote from: John Rose on March 06, 2024, 02:03:32 AM

They say they're "Integrated, 55 lb (25 kg) carrying capacity", but they don't look like they have much (or any) bracing against fore & aft movement. Not like the RadWagon and RadRunner models.

Now, with "Full coverage aluminum alloy fenders ...", is the rear fender supposed to be rigid enough to provide that bracing?

Looks like it?s mounted to the fender for fore and aft stability. WHICH IS REALLY DUMB :) Whoa, no good for a real load.

Radio Runner

Quote from: John Rose on March 06, 2024, 02:15:57 AM

Yep, I posted this a few days ago. I?ll paste it here.

??Looks like the Wagon got rid of those nightmare proprietary 22inch wheels. Down to 20inch from the looks of it. Thats good news however anyone with the old model is going to have an even harder time finding tires. (Lesson: Never buy a bike with a  proprietary wheel diameter) ??

Notice they only say ?more stable ride? they don?t say the truth which should be something like ? 22inch wheels were are royal pain and a daft idea to begin with so buy as many replacement tires now as there won?t be any in the near future ;)

handlebar

Quote from: John Rose on March 06, 2024, 02:15:57 AM

The smaller diameter gets the passengers or cargo a little lower to be easier to manage and safer. Using fattish tires somewhat defeats the purpose.

I hated those 3.3 inch tires on my Radrunner. The manual said less than 30 PSI would be unsafe. A tire that wide at that pressure rode hard on bumps, and less pressure meant significantly more resistance and poorer handling.

Besides, there aren't many 20" tires for rims that wide. I would have had to lace on new rims to use better tires.

Eric7

Quote from: Radio Runner on March 06, 2024, 10:40:38 AM
Quote from: John Rose on March 06, 2024, 02:03:32 AM

Looks like it?s mounted to the fender for fore and aft stability. WHICH IS REALLY DUMB :) Whoa, no good for a real load.

Probably to stabilize the fender rather than stabilize the rack.  The rack probably do an OK job if you stay within the specs. But a fall puts much more strain on the system if it results in a push towards the back or something.  Like if the rack catches a rock or pavement pushing the rack back.

This is all speculation based on a photo.

I really really like how the seat looks like it can be shortened so much. I am short so this is much appreciated. Thanks Rad.

handlebar

Quote from: Ryan on March 05, 2024, 05:04:49 PM
I honestly haven't taken a deep look at the new models as I just found out about them the day before release. Here they are though: https://bit.ly/3InDL2E

In the video, every rider has the saddle set too low for proper leg extension. It's as if Radpower doesn't take bicycling seriously. That may explain why no model has adjustable handlebars.

spyder918

Not crazy about the new colors.  Black and White should always be available colors.

John Rose

Quote from: spyder918 on March 06, 2024, 09:02:26 PM
Not crazy about the new colors.  Black and White should always be available colors.
I kinda' like the green on the Radster, but only because of how it goes nicely with the brown tire sidewalls. Sort of an "L. L. Bean" vibe.
I think they missed an opportunity by not giving it the brown faux-leather saddle and grips, even if only as an option to select at checkout.

You're right about black and white. Easy to find matching touch-up paint, if for no other reason.

spyder918

Quote from: John Rose on March 07, 2024, 12:51:00 AM
Quote from: spyder918 on March 06, 2024, 09:02:26 PM
I kinda' like the green on the Radster, but only because of how it goes nicely with the brown tire sidewalls. Sort of an "L. L. Bean" vibe.
I think they missed an opportunity by not giving it the brown faux-leather saddle and grips, even if only as an option to select at checkout.

Agreed, I like the green too and yes they should?ve mixed in the brown accents.
You're right about black and white. Easy to find matching touch-up paint, if for no other reason.

Harhir

I like the changes to the Radwagon. 20" tires, front suspension, hydraulic disk brakes. Also it does not come with the semi integrated batteries. Maybe in a few years a used RW5 could be a viable replacement for my trusty RW3. I just hope they have improved on their welds and their wheels have proper spoke tension out of the factory.
Let's see how the quality holds up over the next years. I never buy new and particularly never by new model releases until any teething problems have been addressed.

sc00ter

If Rad is introducing new models are they going to boost up their call center? I know they did massive layoffs awhile back and some major shifts in management. I loved my RadRunner 1 but didn't replace it with another Rad product when the time came because of all the drama. The new RadWagon 5 looks promising though.

handlebar

Quote from: Harhir on March 07, 2024, 07:27:58 AM
I like the changes to the Radwagon. 20" tires, front suspension, hydraulic disk brakes. Also it does not come with the semi integrated batteries. Maybe in a few years a used RW5 could be a viable replacement for my trusty RW3. I just hope they have improved on their welds and their wheels have proper spoke tension out of the factory.
Let's see how the quality holds up over the next years. I never buy new and particularly never by new model releases until any teething problems have been addressed.

From the frying pan into the fire! Those tires were why I offered to give my Radrunner away. (The guy wouldn't accept that, so he offered what amounted to 15% of what I'd put into it. Glad to get rid of it!)

I think maybe it's not possible to make a 3.3 inch bicycle tire with a diameter that small that will be strong and quiet and handle well and smooth bumps and have low rolling resistance. There's not much available for those rims.

I bought an Aventon Abound with 20 x 2.4 tires. In comfort, handling, and rolling resistance, they performed much better than the 3.3 tires but they were no better in puncture resistance. Lots of tires are available for the narrower rims, so I quickly switched.

You can vary the RadWagon seat height by 11 inches but the handlebars not at all. What were they thinking? The Abound handlebars can be moved about 6 inches without tools.