News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Mini StepThru won?t turn on UNLESS you cycle battery switch with key

Started by MattandJulie, February 27, 2024, 02:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

MattandJulie

Wife?s Mini has started to fail to turn on unless the key is inserted, turned all the way to battery lock release, then back to on. Once it is turned off at the handle bar switch or timed out due to inactivity, it will not turn on unless you cycle the key again.
Any ideas?

inoxa

do you use lots of throttle?
is it difficult to remove the battery?

if yes to first question then yes to the second, it may mean that the wiring may have melted.
report back and I can let you know what happened to me and how i corrected it.

MattandJulie

My wife generally uses PAS 1. We are in a level paved community so, no. Rarely uses throttle.

inoxa

I is most likely the controller.  The rectangular box on your bike.  Area13 has the upgraded version giving you a little more power and a new color LCD screen.

JimInPT

Quote from: inoxa on March 02, 2024, 05:00:06 AM
I is most likely the controller.  The rectangular box on your bike.  Area13 has the upgraded version giving you a little more power and a new color LCD screen.

Actually, the 35A upgrade controller provides a LOT more power for better hill-climbing torque and acceleration (doesn't affect top speed).  On my MiniST2 I max out at about 1,600 watts at full power, over twice the stock unit, although even for demanding uphill climbs the power usually stays around 1,000w or less - I try not to stress the system by using the gears and pedaling.

One thing to note that I just learned recently....  unless the design of these new controllers has changed, you MUST stick with the puny, near-useless, crappy stock headlight, as the controller's headlight circuit can burn out when drawing more than 5 watts; they even warn against the Rad-branded headlight "upgrade" (which really isn't but it draws more power).  A very dumb design move for the upgrade, as the stock controller can handle much more power to an upgraded headlight without issue.  Annoying, but easily worked around with a handlebar accessory light.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

inoxa

yes new controller is more power but I have already gotten used to a different bike with tons more power. so that's why i say some extra power. I have the upgraded controller with a new motor and was very pleased until the bike needed a new battery.

handlebar

Quote from: MattandJulie on February 27, 2024, 02:40:25 PM
Wife?s Mini has started to fail to turn on unless the key is inserted, turned all the way to battery lock release, then back to on. Once it is turned off at the handle bar switch or timed out due to inactivity, it will not turn on unless you cycle the key again.
Any ideas?

I believe your bikes use the same kind of battery. I'd swap batteries to see what happens. That's cheaper than buying a new controller and being wrong!

inoxa

from your photo it is the front wheel.  I suspect they hit the brake caliper.  It may be out of alignment. 
If you rotate the wheel watch the caliper as the wheel turns.  You can manually adjust the caliper by pushing or pulling depending the alignment need.  Once done make sure you find a clean clothe to whip off your hand oils you put on the caliper.  This is what seems to be your problem that the caliper is pressing on the brake pads.